New Advanced Atemi Ability

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mantisking
Hero

New Advanced Atemi Ability

Unread post by Mantisking »

T'ung Ai Tien Hsueh (Pain Block Heavenly Knowledge): This advanced version of Neural Atemi is generally used in non-combat applications. Pain receptors are temporarily blocked so that bone-setting can be accomplished without much discomfort to the patient. But then there are those less-than-scrupulous people that use this ability for their own gain. To use this ability the character must strike the target three times, rolling a Natural 17 or better to Strike each time. This must be the only action taken by the character in that Melee Round. When successful, the target will feel no pain and is not affected by modifiers due to pain for 2D6 Melee Rounds. This ability cannot be used by the character on himself. Pre-Requisite: Neural Atemi.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

not bad, but having to roll a NATURAL 17 each time makes it horribly unreliable. you can't very well use it when it's all but immpossible.

you should add normal bonuses.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mantisking
Hero

Originally posted by Nekira Sudacne.
not bad, but having to roll a NATURAL 17 each time makes it horribly unreliable. you can't very well use it when it's all but immpossible.

you should add normal bonuses.
True. I was thinking to make it difficult, but three Natural 17s just make it ridiculous.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

anyway though, when Fist Gesture can kill outright one ONE roll of natural 19 or 20, making it, even with bonuses added, 3 times for 17 is still harder.

I'd say make them roll 16-20 natural. that gives it a (still tricky) 20% chance of working.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mantisking
Hero

anyway though, when Fist Gesture can kill outright one ONE roll of natural 19 or 20, making it, even with bonuses added, 3 times for 17 is still harder.
True.

I'd say make them roll 16-20 natural. that gives it a (still tricky) 20% chance of working.
Actually, that would be a 25% chance.

Revision
T'ung Ai Tien Hsueh (Pain Block Heavenly Knowledge):
This advanced version of Neural Atemi is generally used in non-combat applications. Pain receptors are temporarily blocked so that bone-setting can be accomplished without much discomfort to the patient. But then there are those less-than-scrupulous people that use this ability for their own gain. To use this ability the character must strike the target three (3) times, rolling a 17 or better to Strike each time. This must be the only action taken by the character in that Melee Round. When successful, the target will feel no pain and is not affected by modifiers due to Pain for 2D6 Melee Rounds. This ability cannot be used by the character on himself. Pre-Requisite: Neural Atemi.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

3 times with 17 or higher with bonuses is doable. :)

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”