Chi Items and Kime Kata

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Chi Items and Kime Kata

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

gadrin wrote:if items are permanently filled with chi, what threshold do you use for damage before the chi is lost ? I'm thinking a dagger that has it's grip replaced is fine, but the blade breaks, then it's lost. Or a silk robe with a few moth holes, or tears is ok, but cut seriously or burned, then the chi is gone.

I don't recall seeing a method of filling an object with Chi permanently, but I would reckon that the Chi disperses when the object is destroyed (reduced to Zero S.D.C.), and would retain all Chi until then.

the Kime Kata is a special kata, and doesn't seem to specify that it can only be used in hand-to-hand combat or melee weapons. would you allow it to be used with a firearm?

It can be used with any Strike, Damage or Parry roll, regardless of whether it is made with a bare hand or a weapon.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Originally posted by Gadrin.
one of the low level Chi-magic spells will let you fill an object with chi -- permanently. there's also a higher level spell that'll let you turn an object into a chi-version. 2nd and 6th level spells IIRC.

if you're Mind Walking and want a chi weapon you can fill an object (dagger or pistol) and it'll affect other chi-spirits. you can read the descriptions of the spells.
From a quick read through of the spells, it seems the main use is so that you can bring items into the "chi realms".

The Chi-magic spell will fill an object permanently. I'm working on a scenario where several objects from a long-dead Chi-Sorcerer have been discovered. The main character has Chi Mastery and can sense the item has chi and buys it for small sum. His intention is to find out what else they found with it, check them and buy them too. I'm talking stuff thats several centuries old.
If the items are centuries old you could use the Chi Loss Rate found in the M.A.P. Fill Object With Chi. Just stretch it out a little.

bump
This really didn't need a bump. It was nowhere even close to the second page.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Originally posted by Gadrin.[/i]
I think there's erratta in the Kime Kata too...

the first para p123, says: "this must be the first (and only) attack the character can make that entire melee"

then below that under "As an Attack" it mentions: "all remaining attacks are normal, without benefit of bonuses of any kind"
I think it's written this way because the defensive application allows more than one action in a Melee Round. But it only applies the bonus from the form to one of them.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”