Real Versus Cinematic

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

actually, you don't need to change the rules so much as you need to stop enforcing logical concequences of your actions.

for exsample, diving out of the way of a greanade in most games will get your suit dirty and mess up your hair.

in a cinimatic style one, you just roll and jump to your feet with a witty line. that's all.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

Yeah, Ninjas & Superspies can emulate cinematic combat with or without minimal tinkering.

A couple suggestions:
1) As I don't recall whether or not the game imposed penalties for dodging firearms, I'd say don't apply such penalties most of the time.
2) Similarly, don't give some of the "canon fodder" any modern W.P.'s. That way they either don't have bonuses or have penalties to shoot the PC's.

The above two points simulates the hero rarely being shot.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Dodging firearms in N&S is done with a -4 penalty like HU, but it seems your bonuses still apply.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Our group tends to play the HK movie style. We allow martial arts bonuses to stack, there are some other tweaks but that's the main one.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:in a cinimatic style one, you just roll and jump to your feet with a witty line. that's all.

awesome. In this example, if the character fails to make a decently witty line, their hair is messed up and has a dirty suit. If they happen to make a good witty line: Dodging a granade "no thank you, I already shaved this morning" they come up smelling like roses.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”