Sumos in Orbit

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

greese1
D-Bee

Unread post by greese1 »

Submissions still work great in a 0 g enviroment. As do a lot of throws. It becomes a question of physiology.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Originally posted by Tyciol.
I also remember there being an updated form of Sumo posted around here... one that actually had some kind of advantage to it. As it is, there doesn't seem to be anything about it better than Aikido.
Looking at my notes on the style;
Sumo takes less than half the time to learn Aikido.
Sumo gives bonuses to 5 stats, Aikido only 3.
Sumo ends up with 5 ApM, Aikido only 3.
Sumo has a better Roll w/Punch/Fall/Impact and Parry bonus.
Sumo has Strike and Damage bonuses, Aikido does not.
Sumo has 24 combat skills, Aikido only 14.
And finally.
At 15th level, Sumo gains an Automatic Critical Bodyflip/Throw. Which means that a BF/T will do a minimum of 4d6 damage. Never mind any of the bonuses or the dice roll.

Originally posted by Greese1.
Submissions still work great in a 0 g enviroment. As do a lot of throws. It becomes a question of physiology.
I'm not so sure about throws doing damage in micro- or low-gravity situations. Yes, they'll still work in breaking someone's contact with a surface. But, without the added acceleration of 1G it won't do much. Then again, leaving someone floating out of reach of any surfaces in micro-gravity can be pretty nasty.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
greese1
D-Bee

Unread post by greese1 »

I was assuming throw to dominate position.
In a fight in 0 g, "ground" fighting is where it would be at...you need to be able to keep the guy close and still be able to do damage.
You can ground and pound from any angle and your punches will do the same damage. All your subs still work because they are not gravity dependant.
BocephusKhan
D-Bee

Unread post by BocephusKhan »

greese1 wrote:I was assuming throw to dominate position.
In a fight in 0 g, "ground" fighting is where it would be at...you need to be able to keep the guy close and still be able to do damage.
You can ground and pound from any angle and your punches will do the same damage. All your subs still work because they are not gravity dependant.

greese1 has brutally armbarred the correct.
There are only two types of fighters: Losers and Cheaters.
Mantisking
Hero

Originally posted by greese1.
I was assuming throw to dominate position.
Punches might do less damage because it's pure muscle power driving them, rather than Gravity + muscle power. Submissions would be good, but the main problem is applying the lock and staying grounded on a surface at the same time.

A good source for ideas about fighting in 0G is the book Streetlethal by Steven Barnes. It even contains a style developed for fighting in 0G called "Nullboxing".
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Mantisking
Hero

Originally posted by macksting.
Interesting. Non-fiction, or science fiction?
Most definitely fiction. It has two sequels, Gorgon Child and Firedance.
Mantisking
Hero

The Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide has some good rules for zero-G combat. Of course I'll have to read through them again when I'm not falling asleep.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

first, in 0g combat, i doubt punches, kicks, and othe similar moves would work too well, unless you braced yourself against something (which kind defeats the intent, doesn't it?)

now, flying tackles, strangle holds, body ramming, and other similar moves would likely become the most useable.

a Zero-G martial art would have a great deal of focus on using your inertia both as a weapon and as a movement style. (for example, pushing off a wall and ramming an opponent will slow you down, and push him away, likely on an impact course with the opposet wall.)

training in graceful Zero-G movement, how to rebound off walls while increasing/decreasing your momentum, how to use body movement to create/stop inertia (for example, you learn how to swing your body to stop forward movement), ect.

a Zero-G martial arts fight would look a bit like a weird 3D game of Pong. :lol:
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mantisking
Hero

He would develope the martial art in NASA, which is about the only place you might be able to simulate zero G. The high rotation forces might make it tough to fight though, being pressed against the walls during the spinning.
Actually, someone's opening up a civilian version of the "Vomit Comet". You can pay to take a ride and experience zero-g-like conditions. A person with enough money could take several of these flights and develop a martial art.

Originally posted by glitterboy2098.
now, flying tackles, strangle holds, body ramming, and other similar moves would likely become the most useable.
I'd say "yes" to strangle holds, but "no" to the others. Flying tackles and body rams depend on weight and gravity for most of their effect. Neither of which are found in 0G.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Originally posted by glitterboy2098.
I'd say "yes" to strangle holds, but "no" to the others. Flying tackles and body rams depend on weight and gravity for most of their effect. Neither of which are found in 0G.

except, in Zero-G it would be inertia and momentum that would be the main factors.

see my example:

pushing off a wall and ramming an opponent will slow you down, and push him away, likely on an impact course with the opposet wall.

ramming and tackles are Mass/momentum based moves (trust me, i used to wrestle, and i hang around football players alot) the force imparted does the work, and that force is dependant on the mass of the people involved, and their relitive momentum.

any Zero-G martial arts style would be designed for use inside stations/constructs. out in empty space the only moves you can do would be to use your MMU to ram someone and push them away.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mantisking
Hero

Several? No. Hundreds. It takes a great deal of time to develope a martial art, especially an alien one like this not based on any existing forms. I'm pretty sure that in any civilian version, you'd be strapped into your seat. Do they just let people float around in a rapidly rotating container?
The "Vomit Comet" is a plane. It has most of the seats removed so there's an empty space in the cabin. It then takes a course that consists of repeated climbs and dives -- like a roller coaster. At the top of the climb, as the plane switches over into a dive, there's a small period of time where people can experience null-G-like conditions.

It doesn't rapidly rotate.

The portions of Apollo 13 that had weightlessness in them were filmed on the "Vomit Comet".
Mantisking
Hero

Re: Sumos in Orbit

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”