Automatic Roll: am I reading it right?

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Automatic Roll: am I reading it right?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I've looked over it, and see one thing about it. . .

you can try to roll with punch/fall/impact without taking a melee action.

does this mean that you can try to cut the damage of ANY attack in half, without ever having any penalties to it?

because with some of the right phisical skills and martial arts. . . it's almost garenteed you'll succed.

and even if you fail your roll, you still dont' loose a melee action?

admidially this is how automatic parry works. . . but with some arts the standard would be:

automatic parry, then automatic roll if you faill?

that how it's ment to be used?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Automatic Roll: am I reading it right?

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:I've looked over it, and see one thing about it. . .

you can try to roll with punch/fall/impact without taking a melee action.

Roll with Punch/Fall/Impact never costs an attack to begin with in Ninjas & Superspies, but it can only be used against one attack at any given moment. Automatic Roll allows you to roll against an unlimited number of punches, falls or impacts with each melee attack/action (more of that seemingly impossible initiative simultaneity).

Example: 3 opponents punch you at the same time, and you fail to dodge or parry all of them. If you only have the normal Roll with Punch, you can only roll with one of those three punches and will take full damage from the other two. With Automatic Roll you can roll with all three punches and take half damage from all of them if successful.

does this mean that you can try to cut the damage of ANY attack in half, without ever having any penalties to it?

Only if it is possible to roll with the attack normally.

because with some of the right phisical skills and martial arts. . . it's almost garenteed you'll succed.

True enough.

and even if you fail your roll, you still dont' loose a melee action?

Correct.

admidially this is how automatic parry works. . . but with some arts the standard would be:

automatic parry, then automatic roll if you faill?

that how it's ment to be used?

Correct again.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

sounds good, thanks 8-)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

you also cant roll with gunshots or energy blasts.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tyciol wrote:It makes one wonder.... how big does a bullet have to be before it's considered blunt and not piercing?

you ever see that little film where that one guy stops a cannonball with his chest. . . :D

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”