Quickened Combat?

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

shouldn't take all that long. what are yours, and your opponest, general bonuses?

I notice combat takes longest when both sides have +5 or higher to strike, parry and doge, as the exsact die rolls don't make quite as much difference.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
sinestus
Adventurer

Unread post by sinestus »

gotta agree on that one

once we envoked the "five second" rule, we no longer had guys pondering their moves, or pouring through the core rulebooks for options...

you have five seconds,
period.

after that, it's assumed you do nothing

thus your players will start pre-determining their moves... figure out what combos work best.... and thus be ready for that knife to the ear when it comes...
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

We've eliminated the back and forth attacks from the system. Now everyone takes all their attacks in a row in order of initiative. This hoses the Lightning Kata from Muay Thai, but the style's not too prevalent in our gaming group.

I've always tried to string together my character's HtH attacks so that they flow. But that's just me. :)
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Mantisking
Hero

Originally posted by Macksting.
How do you handle dodges?

Originally posted by Tyciol.
My guess is he makes them all automatic, or only parries, or something like that.
Yup, all Auto. Dodge. Since Automatic Dodge is useless under the current N&S rules, it doesn't really matter much.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

Another means of speeding up combat is "combined dice rolls". When the attacker rolls to strike both its damage dice is rolled as well as the defender's defense roll. Or one could wait to roll damage dice until the defender rolls to roll with the attack (provided they can).
Mantisking
Hero

Originally posted by Tyciol.
Automatic Dodge is actually very useful by the N&SS rules. Only having to spend your first attack instead of lots of attacks for dodging each round is great.
Yeah, that's great. You have to have Initiative to use it though.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”