New Martial Arts Techniques...

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ten Tigers
Dungeon Crawler

New Martial Arts Techniques...

Unread post by Ten Tigers »

New Martial Arts Techniques

Wall Running: As seen in many martial arts movies and videogames, wall running allows the martial artist to move about vertical surfaces as if the surface was horizontal. The martial artist may use this technique to move in any direction up to his maximum distance. At first level this is five (5) feet plus one foot for every other level of experience. At the end of the distance the character begins to fall as normal if there is no secure place to stand; however, there are a number of options.

Option number one: the character may make a climbing roll to cling to the spot where the technique ended.

Option number two: the character may make any physical skill check with a jump (acrobatics, gymnastics, tumbling) to either jump to safety, or jump into another wall run. A failed skill check means the character either miscalculated his/her jump, or failed their landing and no wall run takes place. This usually results in a nasty fall.

So long as a character keeps making his physical skill checks, the martial artist can run, jump, wall run, jump, wall run, jump, and complete this cycle over and over until they choose to stop or fail a physical skill check.

On a final note, any prowl skill (including arts of invisibility) may be used to do a silent wall run; however, this is done at a -10% to the skill in question.

Triangle Jump: The triangle jump is a very flashy technique that is as useful as it is visually impressive. A character with this technique can jump up to any surface and immediately make another skill check to jump his max distance to another surface. The maximum number of Triangle Jumps that a martial artist can make at first level is one plus the character's endurance bonus as if it were a strength bonus (+1 at 16...), and one additional jump is added for every level of experience after first.

The Triangle Jump does not remove the necessity of a skill roll, it only allows the player to link jumps that should not normally be possible. A failed skill check often results in a nasty fall.
Last edited by Ten Tigers on Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love a good fight...
Ten Tigers
Dungeon Crawler

I hope you guys like these techniques, I had a lot of fun creating them.

Quite compatible with the other martial arts powers if I do say so myself; especially the art of falling.
I love a good fight...
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

nice :ok:

great for cinimatic-style games :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Ten Tigers
Dungeon Crawler

Two quick questions.

One: Should I give the Triangle Jump its own skill percentage, or should I merely require either acrobatics, gymnastics, or tumbling as "pre-requisite" skills, and use the flip/backflip portion of those skills as the feat roll?

Two: Should I switch the bonus for the Triangle Jump to Physical Endurance default bonus rather than Physical Strength equivalent?
I love a good fight...
Ten Tigers
Dungeon Crawler

Ironically, I have never played PoP. If it's got this kind of gameplay, I will need to look into it.

As for vaulting over someone's head, I rule it requires a combat roll to get through your opponents defences, THEN a skill check to see if you botch the move itself. For a devious twist, add a body flip throw and viola, a guillotine throw... 8)
I love a good fight...
Hibik
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Hibik »

Prince of Persia was rather fun. More of a chance of dying from pitfalls than from people.
Come, come, whoever you are,
Wanderer, idolater, worshiper of fire,
Come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair. - Rumi
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Originally posted by Ten Tigers.
New Martial Arts Techniques
Yayyy!!

Wall Running: As seen in many martial arts movies and videogames, wall running allows the martial artist to move about vertical surfaces as if the surface was horizontal. The martial artist may use this technique to move in any direction up to his maximum distance. At first level this is five (5) feet plus one foot for every other level of experience. At the end of the distance the character begins to fall as normal if there is no secure place to stand; however, there are a number of options.

Option number one: the character may make a climbing roll to cling to the spot where the technique ended.

Option number two: the character may make any physical skill check with a jump (acrobatics, gymnastics, tumbling) to either jump to safety, or jump into another wall run. A failed skill check means the character either miscalculated his/her jump, or failed their landing and no wall run takes place. This usually results in a nasty fall.
I was okay with this up to this point. I'd say that you've lost all your forward momentum once you've hit the end of your maximum wall running distance. You'd have to execute the jump before you hit the end of your run.

So long as a character keeps making his physical skill checks, the martial artist can run, jump, wall run, jump, wall run, jump, and complete this cycle over and over until they choose to stop or fail a physical skill check.
How about when they run out of attacks/actions?

On a final note, any prowl skill (including arts of invisibility) may be used to do a silent wall run; however, this is done at a -10% to the skill in question.
I'd say only if you use the AoI for movement then you'd get to move silently.

Triangle Jump: The triangle jump is a very flashy technique that is as useful as it is visually impressive. A character with this technique can jump up to any surface and immediately make another skill check to jump his max distance to another surface. The maximum number of Triangle Jumps that a martial artist can make at first level is one plus the character's endurance bonus as if it were a strength bonus (+1 at 16...), and one additional jump is added for every level of experience after first.

The Triangle Jump does not remove the necessity of a skill roll, it only allows the player to link jumps that should not normally be possible. A failed skill check often results in a nasty fall.
This one's kinda useless. There's nothing in the rules, that I can think of, stopping someone from jumping consecutively from multiple surfaces. Also, what's the skill check for jumping anyway? One more thing, 15 jumps (+ P.E. bonus) jumps at 15th level?
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Ten Tigers
Dungeon Crawler

Mantisking wrote:I was okay with this up to this point. I'd say that you've lost all your forward momentum once you've hit the end of your maximum wall running distance. You'd have to execute the jump before you hit the end of your run.

I like that. It makes total sense, consider it done.

Mantisking wrote:How about when they run out of attacks/actions?

Fair enough, unless of course one has an auto-dodge. :evilgrin:

Mantisking wrote:I'd say only if you use the AoI for movement then you'd get to move silently.

Again I will agree.

Mantisking wrote:This one's kinda useless. There's nothing in the rules, that I can think of, stopping someone from jumping consecutively from multiple surfaces. Also, what's the skill check for jumping anyway? One more thing, 15 jumps (+ P.E. bonus) jumps at 15th level?

Here is where I disagree. I can see someone with gymnastics chaining their flips together provided they have relatively horizontal surfaces to land on. Joe Gymnast just cannot leap his max distance, hit a completely vertical wall, and jump his max distance to the next wall, then do ANOTHER max jump up to the ledge he was trying to reach in the first place. That should take special training in my opinion.
I love a good fight...
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Originally posted by me.
How about when they run out of attacks/actions?

Fair enough, unless of course one has an auto-dodge. :evilgrin:
What I was trying to say was the Infinite Run/Jump relying on only the skill check failure/choose to stop was abusive. There has to be a limiter other than the two you posted.

Here is where I disagree. I can see someone with gymnastics chaining their flips together provided they have relatively horizontal surfaces to land on. Joe Gymnast just cannot leap his max distance, hit a completely vertical wall, and jump his max distance to the next wall, then do ANOTHER max jump up to the ledge he was trying to reach in the first place. That should take special training in my opinion.
Good argument.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”