N&SS2

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

N&SS2

Unread post by Zenvis »

I have seen now every book, save Rifts (although Im seeing that comming in the future, I'm sure of it), get a revision; even TMNT (now AtB). When is N&SS going to get its revision. I would love to see some of the goodies from the rifter put into the new book, thats why I bring it up.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

There is N & SS and N & SS - Revised.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: N&SS2

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Zenvis wrote:I have seen now every book, save Rifts (although Im seeing that comming in the future, I'm sure of it), get a revision; even TMNT (now AtB). When is N&SS going to get its revision. I would love to see some of the goodies from the rifter put into the new book, thats why I bring it up.

Either

A) when Erick Wujcik writes it, or

B) when Kuseru wins the lottery and forcibly buys the rights from Palladium :D

And most of the stuff for N&S in the Rifter has been garbage, so folk around here don't much like it being brought up :bandit:
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Originally posted by NMI.
There is N & SS and N & SS - Revised.
The revised version added 3 O.C.C.s, watered down the martial arts, and made a mess of how many martial arts your characters could have. It really didn't add much, and didn't do much to correct the spelling mistakes, typos, and other little problems with N&S. So it's not like it's a real Second Edition.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

i've got one. I'll give it to you for $20,000.
seriously.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Originally posted by Misfit KotLD.
Good luck finding the original.
Ahem, I already own it. :D
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I actually have two copies of the unrevised and 2 copies of revised NSS.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Deific NMI wrote:I actually have two copies of the unrevised and 2 copies of revised NSS.

could you give me one origional? my revised sucks.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

give? no.
sell maybe.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

B) when Kuseru wins the lottery and forcibly buys the rights from Palladium :D

*LOL*

That was funny...so how about this...all of us chip in to get KS the money needed so he can do just that....
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

$20,000 and it's yours. an original version of Ninjas & Superspies.
come on, i really need the money!
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:i've got one. I'll give it to you for $20,000.
seriously.

you'll have it scanned from front to back and use the money to have a top of the line printing of it made and have it bound it the skin of whoever made the revisions... it that why you want so much? me, I'm not selling. at all... the earlier version has its flaws, but many less than the so called "revised one"
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard

Unread post by Guest »

Ahem, actually, I got tired of waiting for Palladium and started writing my own "house rules for N&S'" with the working title (based on an old discussion of this very topic) "Ninjas & Superspies Third Edition."

On the downside, it looks like it will be close to 1000 pages long.
Svartalf
Champion

Well... whatever the length, I'll be willing to serve as your editor, or at least proofreader
Svartalf
Champion

Being *able* to handle a matter alone is not necessarily the same as as *doing* so, especially when you don't have to.
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

Ahem, actually, I got tired of waiting for Palladium and started writing my own "house rules for N&S'" with the working title (based on an old discussion of this very topic) "Ninjas & Superspies Third Edition."

On the downside, it looks like it will be close to 1000 pages long.

Is what you have done viewable by any chance?

Also, as I only have the revised version, could someone provide some more specific examples of what is wrong with it?
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

Even though I am not a professional proofreader, I'll second your comments about proofreading being a more complex skill than people give it credit. Heck, we could say the same thing about editing...

Anyway, any takers to my question above?

About my first question, I forgot about the Palladium Martial Arts Netbook... :oops:

How about my second question then?
Svartalf
Champion

well... a few of the major changes that I find deleterious (I think a complete list of the changes can be found on Kuseru's site)

forbid EXCLUSIVE forms to all but Dedicated Martial Artists

Reduce the number of forms a DMA has to 2, or only one if he chooses an EXCLUSIVE

reduce the Worldly Martial Artist to one form

reduce the number of martial arts powers available to a number of forms

Of course, I deem that having martial arts make you REAL powerful is a good thing, as it's a good foil to all the high tech and lead throwing gimmicks you find in all the wrong hands
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

Thanks for examples :-D

Unread post by Guest »

I often find myself correcting statements which others post in chat.

Mostly little spelling errors, as I do not care for proper punctuation in throw away text.

Probably the poet in me, though I am considering going to school to become an editor or proofreader.

Apparently there are not nearly enough to go around.

Mine is a secondary skill supplemented by a high I.Q. bonus and lots of usage.

Unread post by Guest »

Cranus wrote:Is what you have done viewable by any chance?

Not yet, there's still a ton of details I'm ironing out.

Also, as I only have the revised version, could someone provide some more specific examples of what is wrong with it?

I could, but since I'm still working on the complete (100 page or so) list, it would definitely take a while.

Basically it boils down to an immense lack of editing ( :demon: ). There are things mentioned but not listed (several skills fall under this category), some of the skills a reprints straight out of the Robotech RPG (and contain things like mention of Destroids and Veritchs which aren't applicable to N&S), the martial art "forms" are missing information (yup, every single one of them), contradictory in places, and quite confusing in other cases. The Hand to Hand combat section needs to be overhauled due to internal inconsistancies (check out the damage done if a Death Blow is successfully rolled with...it's listed in two places...and does different damage each time), the martial art powers need work, the conversions are long out of date, the Glossary isn't in alphabetical order (a classic cut and paste error if you look at it closely), the 'new' O.C.C.s follow the HU-standard of O.C.C. design, rather than the N&S standard (they primarily have the HU-style education level bonus, which isn't present in the other, original, O.C.C.s), the martial arts selection by the O.C.C.s is greatly flawed, the O.C.C. SDC values are skewed oddly, the various NPCs and adventures in the back haven't been updated since the original edition (check out the martial art bonuses and powers of the NPCs), there's paragraphs of missing information, paragraphs of contradictory information, and a few other odds and ends that need to be fixed.

Unread post by Guest »

kathyacker wrote:1000 pgs long? sounds almost like a waste of time since it would never get printed at that length.

Good, I'd hate for it to end up like the "revised" edition.

if youre including all the martial arts from the netbook, id stop where you are and cut all the stuff that was not conversions or revisions...cause the made up stuff is pretty week.

Why in the hell would I want to do that?!? I'm not even including styles that the original edition had (too many fictional styles), so why would I want to go through the netbook looking for styles?
also the repetitveness in the ninjitsu (see costume) and aikido (see main description) is not needed, and im sure there were a couple of other things wrong.
Writing a style for an internet site and writing for a single book are two different things.
id have to agree on the superiority of the first version, and the bad rifter material...though there have been one or two small things (im kind of a fan of the revised running skills...even those were for the megaverse) that have been pretty good.
I don't know if I'd use the word "superiority" myself. After taking a hard look at the book and the rifter stuff, there's really little to differentiate them.
lastly, erick is yet again not going to be with palladium, so unless this writing ninja has a real gem of a book...then i can see it as no go as a second edition. also the other things working against this is...see how long it took for bts to be made, and see how long it has been for recon 2nd ed (which will probably be scrapped at the rate palladium is going), and it seems theyre trying to concentrate on their big money makers...i.e. fantasy, super hero, and sci fi (the last being the big one), so it's more than likely going to become a very secondary if at all item on the menu of things palladium has to do...

Actually, the main reason I'm rewriting the book into my own house rules is because Palladium has flatly stated that they aren't doing a second edition of N&S.

(damn the rifts movie)

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”