A Discussion:No Bonuses for Combination Moves

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mantisking
Hero

A Discussion:No Bonuses for Combination Moves

Unread post by Mantisking »

So over in the Combination Attack/Attack thread, the problem/annoyance/stupid rule that there are no bonuses for combination moves was brought up along with several ideas on how to fix it.

Here's my idea: The only bonuses you get to apply to a Combination Move are those from your martial arts style. Physical Statistic bonuses do not apply.

This makes it a matter of technique and skill, not allowing raw talent to enter into the equation.

Discuss.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

you have it in reverse, only attribute bonuses should apply, phisical skills and martial arts skills shoulnd not increase it.

trained skill is good, but nothing repaces raw talent
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mantisking
Hero

Originally posted by Nekira Sudacne.
you have it in reverse, only attribute bonuses should apply, phisical skills and martial arts skills shoulnd not increase it.
If only Attribute bonuses were to apply to Combination moves then since physical skills increase attributes, then physical skills would increase your bonuses to Combination moves. Yes?

Have you ever heard the saying "Old age and treachery beats youth and vitality every time."?

Originally posted by MrNexx.
Your idea is against my General Game-Design Philosophy (tm, pat. pend.). Personally, I think that ALL bonus should apply... as should some sort of minus.
This was PM'ed to me for some reason. Why he couldn't just reply, I don't know.

Originally posted by MrNexx.
For example, let us say that you have a +10 to dodge, and I have a +5. If we're at half bonuses, I'm effectively at -2 or -3. You are at -5, despite being more skilled and talented. You are penalized more for being of greater ability. Bad idea, IMO. It would be better to give a -x, so everyone is penalized the same, and skill is rewarded.
Under my rules modification skill is still rewarded, while still preserving the supposed "difficulty" of the move. As it stands now for Combination moves, skill is not rewarded and defenders have a major advantage.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Mantisking wrote:
If only Attribute bonuses were to apply to Combination moves then since physical skills increase attributes, then physical skills would increase your bonuses to Combination moves. Yes?

pardon me, I misspoke myself. I mean bonuses that come directly from the skill itself, like +1parry/dodge for general athletics, any stat bonus from it would apply.

Mantisking wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Originally posted by Nekira Sudacne.[/i]
Have you ever heard the saying "Old age and treachery beats youth and vitality every time."?

what I was trying to say is this, if you have 2 martial artists, equally skilled in the art, say level 6 in Jujitsu, and one has a PP of 24 and one has a PP of 12, who's more likely to win, and a level 4 in jujitsu could probably hold their own aginst a level 12 master if the attribute diffrences where WAY off the scale (master has stats of about 15 each, and new guy has like 25-30, but that's an extream case)

and young people can use trechery too :P
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Mantisking wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:trained skill is good, but nothing repaces raw talent
young people can use trechery too :P

There's no beating an old pro though ;)
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Mantisking
Hero

Originally posted by Herald of Shadows.
Actually, the 'no atribute bonuses for combinations' is used for Taido
The rule for Taido is that "Turns" and "Spins" get no attribute bonuses.

what I was trying to say is this, if you have 2 martial artists, equally skilled in the art, say level 6 in Jujitsu, and one has a PP of 24 and one has a PP of 12, who's more likely to win, and a level 4 in jujitsu could probably hold their own aginst a level 12 master if the attribute diffrences where WAY off the scale (master has stats of about 15 each, and new guy has like 25-30, but that's an extream case)
Check out the section on page 20 called Why An Experience Point System?. There's a quote in there that reads, "Only my years of experience enabled me to beat him." This rule modification is an an attempt to tie into that idea.

and young people can use trechery too
Only if you spell it correctly first. :D :lol: :P

Originally posted by Tyciol.
Considering most styles only give +2-4 in their base moves with a couple exceptions, I really feel it's unbalanced considering PS and PP bonuses.
And is the rule as it currently stands unbalancing?

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”