Bonuses to strike with a bow, and/or entangle, and/or throw

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Re: Bonuses to strike with a bow, and/or entangle, and/or th

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

i say yes. The PP bonus is a representation of how quickly you move. If someone is very quick, they will be able to disarm or entangle and all that stuff better than someone who is slow.

Unread post by Guest »

macksting wrote:Okay, I kind of assume that bows get the PP bonus to strike... I've never seen any official statements otherwise, but I thought I'd put it up to a vote.

Yes, they do, all of the "ancient" weapons do for some reason, though guns and other "modern" weapons do not.

By the same stretch, I tend to make that assumption about throwing spears or knives or such, that one's agility and accuracy in melee effects one's natural ability directly in chucking a weapon at something or somebody. I also am putting that up for debate.

As above.

But the real doozy is entangle. I don't think I've ever seen any statements saying that entanglement attempts include or exclude bonuses from PP. After all, you're striking an opponent's weapon, but of course there's more to it than that; there's a great deal of learned technique in capturing an opponent's weapon. (For the importance of stat vs. technique, I point out that Taido allows no stat bonuses to nearly *anything.*)[/quote]

P.P. provides a bonus to Strike, Parry, and Dodge. There's not mention of Entangle (probably to make it more difficult to entangle someone when they attack you).

However, the Heroes Unlimited GM Guide has an interesting note, "Attribute bonuses are universal, and are Hand to Hand bonuses apply to all combat actions, for the character is assumed to practice combat with all of his special abilities, including flight, underwater, etc." Exactly what that means can be quite open to interpretation (mostly because the sentence makes no sense linguistically), of which the primary thing of note would be that the any attribute bonus applies to all combat moves performed. I recommend finding out who wrote it and asking them what in the hell they are talking about myself.

Oh, yes, and... disarming? Does that get PP bonuses?

As above.

Note that I'm willing to accept, if there's an official statement on the matter somewhere, an answer of "no" to all four of these. I'm also willing to accept "yes"'s to any of these, in exclusion or inclusion to the others. I just wanna know.

Unfortunately, the only official statements on these aren't all that reliable, so you're pretty much left coming up with your own interpretation.

Unread post by Guest »

macksting wrote:*nods* Thought as much. It's been my perception that Palladium frequently disagrees with itself; I seem to remember reading a statement that, regardless of anything else, the latest rule change in the combat system is intended to change it for all settings... and yet they never seem to consolidate these latest rules into a single book, so years later you find this little note in the back of a Rifter and say, "oh, so that's where they covered that!" *chuckles*

Ironically, that's another area where they contradict themselves. The rules are supposed to be "megaversal" (i.e. apply to all games), yet Kevin's stated reason for not making a single book with all the rules is that the games have different rules.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”