Just who can learn exclusives?

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Re: Just who can learn exclusives?

Unread post by acreRake »

Here's how i do it: Dedicated and Worldly martial artists can learn exclusive styles, Ninjitsu and Kick Boxing can only be selected by Dedicated (and take up both slots)... It kind of makes the Worldly Guy too powerful, but i don't care :D

No one has ever been interested in Kick Boxing, so i've never even read it. Is it really worth two forms?
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Freefall wrote:So basically, I don't see why you couldn't set an amount of time that your character has spent training and then pick a number of forms that would fit with that, instead of saying that he can only know X number of forms to start regardless of how long it takes to learn them.
That's a pretty great idea.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I use it that dedicated can pick 3 forms, or 1 exclusive and 1 regular. and teh wordly martial artist can get 1 exclusive or 2 regular. Agents only get 1 regular. makes more sinse to me, as it was hte Hwang-do/moo gi gong problem got to me.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Unread post by Guest »

Welcome to the wonderful world of "we didn't bother to edit the revised edition of N&S".

My advice is either get the original edition (you can still find a VERY few copies floating around) or use one of the various fixes floating around to figure out how you want to work the martial art selection.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

dnjscott wrote:
kathyacker wrote:i use the netbooks fix...it just makes so much more sense...as well as the sdc, and the fix on the mystic china occs.
so a dedicated martial artist gets 40 sdc and:
"1 exclusive and 1 non exclusive
or
3 non exclusives
or
1 exclusive and the special martial arts bonus previously part of the wma occ"

and of course the list goes on...

WHere's the netbook...? I could use it!! :?

see Kuseru Satsujin's links in his sig? they're the most complete netbook on the web. highest quality too :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

now, what I really wanna know is why Wui Wing Chun is exclusive?

I'll admit it's "exclusive" to female PC's but all around it's not that great.

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

This is why I don't want the Revised book... :D

"Exclusive" in the original meant that you could ONLY take the MA in question as your "primary" style (in the case of the Worldy, who could take 2, and Dedicated, who could take 3).

As for Ninjitsu, the original write-up was that it required TWO MA selections because it is really the combination of two different MAs that worked together as one! (And that also explains why the Ninja starts with something like 5-7 MA Powers at first level!) :lol:

(Ok, that and I heard they killed Chi and replaced it with ISP expenditures.)
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Tyciol wrote:Wrong Borast, Chi has always and will always be in N&SS. The one that replaced it with ISP (or PPE in some cases) would be Rifts. N&SS always referred to the 3 quite distinctly.

because it EVER referred to ISP?
And PPE was an import Wujcik adopted for MC when he made up the chinese mages... I would have enjoyed chi based magic...
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

I know that... which is why the use of PPE at all (within N&SS context) strikes me as an inefficient, overly complicated gasworks type rules...
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”