Is Rifter 3's conversions for Mystic China to Rifts canon?

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Is Rifter 3's conversions for Mystic China to Rifts canon?

Unread post by Tor »

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=79258 mentions...

Question: Q #1 Where do i find the rifts conversion rules for Mystic china
Q #5 Where would i find information on how the coalition feels about chi masters?
Answer: 1) Rifter #3
5) Probably Rifter #3

I thought Rifter stuff was non-canon until otherwise indicated.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=77496 does not list <OFFICIAL> to the right of the page 44 notation of the Mystic China conversion rules, like it does for the Xiticix notes that follow for on page 61.

The ToC on page 4 says that Smith's conversion notes are 'optional'.

I thought when discussing rules in the FAQ it was supposed to be canon rules, not optional ones. If optional ones are listed shouldn't they be designated as that. I thought MC was only supposed to follow RBC guidelines, albeit limited since those (even in revised) appear to focus more on N&SS and not its sourcebook.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Is Rifter 3's conversions for Mystic China to Rifts cano

Unread post by jaymz »

That would be assuming the FAQ itself was canon which it has most definitely demonstrated itself not to be in the past...
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Tor wrote:I thought when discussing rules in the FAQ it was supposed to be canon rules, not optional ones.

Nope. Answers on the current forum-based FAQ are provided by the forum users themselves.

The only criteria required to get an answer added to the archive is for the original poster to accept it, and the mods to agree with it, which we generally do if valid citations are provided.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Even if something in the Rifter is not canon, wouldn't it be possible for Kevin to authorize retroactive canonizing of things?

Like "hey I know it was fancruft but I have decided to make the Rifter 7 arts canon, pick them if you like, they are now part of the setting" or something along those lines?

Dunno if that might cause issues, like if Rifter submitters get paid more if their submission is made canon vs non-canon.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Well he sort of has in the past. Several Super Powers that were originally in the Rifter but then were included in HU2.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

The stats for the Rifter 1 powers were changed though =/ Bio-Armor was crazy powerful before, and we lost Control Elemental Force: Time. I mean sure, we got Slow Motion Control, but it had its heart ripped out. You couldn't even make portals into the null time zones mentioned in Transdimensional.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

This why I said sort of.

\m/
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Tor wrote:The stats for the Rifter 1 powers were changed though =/ Bio-Armor was crazy powerful before, and we lost Control Elemental Force: Time. I mean sure, we got Slow Motion Control, but it had its heart ripped out. You couldn't even make portals into the null time zones mentioned in Transdimensional.

Slow motion control is still a great power.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

An automatic dodge bonus that stacks with normal dodge bonuses is pretty nice, something ExtSpd doesn't appear to offer.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Anything in a Rifter is not canon, unless it specifically states it is, and there have been a few articles in the last almost 10 years have indeed been canon (and no, don't ask which, I can't remember).
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Tor wrote:An automatic dodge bonus that stacks with normal dodge bonuses is pretty nice, something ExtSpd doesn't appear to offer.

? I thought AP and AD were not stackable with Parry and Dodge.
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:Even if something in the Rifter is not canon, wouldn't it be possible for Kevin to authorize retroactive canonizing of things?

Like "hey I know it was fancruft but I have decided to make the Rifter 7 arts canon, pick them if you like, they are now part of the setting" or something along those lines?

Dunno if that might cause issues, like if Rifter submitters get paid more if their submission is made canon vs non-canon.

Yes it would be possible for something to be canonized (or decanonized) retroactively. To my knowledge it hasn't occurred, but it could.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Tor wrote:http://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=79258 mentions...

Question: Q #1 Where do i find the rifts conversion rules for Mystic china
Q #5 Where would i find information on how the coalition feels about chi masters?
Answer: 1) Rifter #3
5) Probably Rifter #3

I thought Rifter stuff was non-canon until otherwise indicated.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=77496 does not list <OFFICIAL> to the right of the page 44 notation of the Mystic China conversion rules, like it does for the Xiticix notes that follow for on page 61.

The ToC on page 4 says that Smith's conversion notes are 'optional'.

I thought when discussing rules in the FAQ it was supposed to be canon rules, not optional ones. If optional ones are listed shouldn't they be designated as that. I thought MC was only supposed to follow RBC guidelines, albeit limited since those (even in revised) appear to focus more on N&SS and not its sourcebook.

Using the FAQ to answer anything is PB's version of this.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Think about it like this...
Canon, it is because it is.
FAQ, it is, because that explains it best.
House Rule, it is because the GM said so.
Random Opinion, it is because everyone has one, and they are usually contradictory. ;)

If something is Canon, it is as stated (and hopefully, as intended).

However, in the end, even canon falls to one simple universal force...
GM Whim. If the GM don't wanna, you don't getta...
After all, high level Psi-Stalkers are now, in essence, SN creatures...not in my campaigns.
Vampires can be killed with a squirt gun, or rain...not in my campaigns.

So, if your GM wants to use the conversion notes as gospel...they are.
Fnord

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”