Command sambo

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Command sambo

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I believe there is a sambo MAF has been presented in R7. In the World Warriors article.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Re: Command sambo

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

MaxellStyng wrote:The only reason I'm asking is because I really like the martial art concept and I really want it for my new mutant russian elk but I just can't see why they justify it being an exclusive.

The MA gains no further powers and gets no skills, especially since its a DMA. It gets an auto flip, which is pretty great but that can't be what makes it exclusive. Several other primary MA getmore powers, more attacks and good moves as well and they arent exclusive.

Am I missing something? Please someone convince me why besides concept alone Id want this MA!

A few potential reasons why Command Sambo from Rifter 7 is an exclusive form. Not saying these are hard and fast reasons, just personal opinion...

1> Special abilities advancement; I'm seeing, right off the top, a Death Blow by level 4 that, by level 15, can be done with either a natural 18-20 or automatically regardless of the roll, from behind. Plus there's the critical strike ranges from 18-20 and KO/Stun Range of 19-20, by level 6 and 10 respectively, on top of that. The only argument against that making it an exlusive form that I can see... take a look at Krav Mahga on pg 45 of Rifter 7. Outrageous ability rolls there comparatively and the form is a non-exclusive. Still, I think it might be a contributing factor.

2> The attribute bonuses. Not just the bonuses that come from the form, which are pretty huge themselves (+4 PS, +3 PE, +2MA and +20 SDC). You're also looking at another PS and SDC boost from the form giving you Body Building as a skill in training and 2 Body hardening powers that can add even more to that. At the very minimum, you're looking at a +6 boost to PS and 30 SDC. This may not seem like very much to a lot of long time gamers out there, but in a purely N&SS campaign, that is huge. Most decent characters in a straight N&SS game tend to start with around 40 or so SDC and getting a boost to PS that big usually means a big physical skill investment.

3> Lastly, I think the main reason Command Sambo is an exclusive form is a matter of fluff.
Rifter #7 pg 50 wrote:Why study Command Sambo? Because it's the combat training of the Russian military elite

Just from that alone, it sounds like your average Joe off the streets is NOT going to find many Command Sambo training halls in the neighborhood. If he wants to learn the form, he'll have to join the Russian military. Of course, this still severely limits the use of the form anyway, because as an exclusive form, only the DMA can take it, not a soldier. Hmmmmmm...

My solution... make it a technical exclusive... if you want to have the form, but not make a DMA, take it... BUT... your character will have to be a mercenary/soldier type from the Russian Army. Commando Mercenary, Veteran Grunt, Academy Officer, or whatever. A Cyborg Soldier with this form would be INSANE!

Anywho, that's my two coppers... good luck and great gaming!
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”