AtB x N&S

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

AtB x N&S

Unread post by mobuttu »

It surely has been asked before, but I'd like to start a N&S gae using AtB Mutated animals.

Can anyone give me some advise regarding character creation procedure?

My guess is:

1. Create Mutant Animal using AtB rules pg.11-31 (Except Step 3).
2. Select OCC from N&S.
3. Pick Martial Arts, Skills and powers according to N&S OCC.
4. Etc. using N&S.

Some more questions:

a) How does combine Mutated animals with cyborgs implants and/or full conversion cyborg? Would you allow it?
b) How do you determine the number of cover identities for a character? (Pg. 56 N&S)

Thanks for your answers. As you can see I'm a kind of newbie at N&S (not Palladium Megaverse System).
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Nightmask
Palladin

Re: AtB x N&S

Unread post by Nightmask »

Looks pretty spot on for steps 1-4 there. As far as the rest go:

A ) You'd handle them pretty much like you would for a human, although a powerful mutant animal could be considered to have better maximums for stats like PS due to having a physical frame capable of supporting more powerful bionics (and in many cases those mutant animals in the Extra-ordinary PS category would end up weaker with bionic limbs).

B ) Well if the mutant animal is obviously an animal (a la the Turtles or Ninjara) you wouldn't have them having cover identities, not unless mutant animals were such a common thing that it wouldn't be noteworthy (since nearly none of the cover identities could a mutant animal get by without interacting with humans). If they can pass as human having full human looks then they'd get the sane number of cover identities as any human would.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Maybe the Nazi make Mutant Animal Slaves to Fight WW2.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

Nightmask wrote:B ) Well if the mutant animal is obviously an animal (a la the Turtles or Ninjara) you wouldn't have them having cover identities, not unless mutant animals were such a common thing that it wouldn't be noteworthy (since nearly none of the cover identities could a mutant animal get by without interacting with humans). If they can pass as human having full human looks then they'd get the sane number of cover identities as any human would.

No, no. I explained myself wrong. I plan to play in a world where everyone is a Mutant Animal. No humans at all. The society itself is made by Mutant anthropomorphic animals. What I don't get is how many covert identities a character has. Are they figured out by PC age?

Nightmask
Palladin

mobuttu wrote:
Nightmask wrote:B ) Well if the mutant animal is obviously an animal (a la the Turtles or Ninjara) you wouldn't have them having cover identities, not unless mutant animals were such a common thing that it wouldn't be noteworthy (since nearly none of the cover identities could a mutant animal get by without interacting with humans). If they can pass as human having full human looks then they'd get the sane number of cover identities as any human would.

No, no. I explained myself wrong. I plan to play in a world where everyone is a Mutant Animal. No humans at all. The society itself is made by Mutant anthropomorphic animals. What I don't get is how many covert identities a character has. Are they figured out by PC age?

Ah, okay.

Covert identities are linked to Skill Programs, most don't offer them. All but one Espionage skill program (Professional Thief) offers a cover identity and one Military program the rest don't offer any. It's noted there's no point duplicating cover identities and if you've multiples available to get different ones to exploit the variety involved. The ability to gain others or provide them to characters who lack the suitable skill programs would become a house rule created by the GM at that point as there aren't any rules describing acquiring more such identities after the game starts.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Covert identities are linked to Skill Programs, most don't offer them. All but one Espionage skill program (Professional Thief) offers a cover identity and one Military program the rest don't offer any. It's noted there's no point duplicating cover identities and if you've multiples available to get different ones to exploit the variety involved. The ability to gain others or provide them to characters who lack the suitable skill programs would become a house rule created by the GM at that point

I'm curious as to whether buying the Sports skill twice can grant a secret identity working as a member of a professional sports team, or otherwise journeying around the world to participate in international events. (Let me rephrase; it obviously can, the only question is whether that's limited to modifying a skill program's cover identity or whether that sets you up with one all by itself.)
Nightmask
Palladin

Regularguy wrote:
Covert identities are linked to Skill Programs, most don't offer them. All but one Espionage skill program (Professional Thief) offers a cover identity and one Military program the rest don't offer any. It's noted there's no point duplicating cover identities and if you've multiples available to get different ones to exploit the variety involved. The ability to gain others or provide them to characters who lack the suitable skill programs would become a house rule created by the GM at that point

I'm curious as to whether buying the Sports skill twice can grant a secret identity working as a member of a professional sports team, or otherwise journeying around the world to participate in international events. (Let me rephrase; it obviously can, the only question is whether that's limited to modifying a skill program's cover identity or whether that sets you up with one all by itself.)

Probably a GM call, it'd be difficult to have something like that as a cover identity since you're talking something pretty high profile (just look how much effort goes into following and announcing various up and comings and who's drafted by who). Professional sports would be simply too high profile to work as a cover. Ironically most likely the amateur level would likely be the best choice to make as those aren't really as followed (much like nurse rather than doctor is suggested for a cover ID for someone with medical skills).

Regularguy
Adventurer

Probably a GM call, it'd be difficult to have something like that as a cover identity since you're talking something pretty high profile (just look how much effort goes into following and announcing various up and comings and who's drafted by who). Professional sports would be simply too high profile to work as a cover.

You do realize, though, what the skill actually says, right? "That means the character can have a secret identity working as a member of a professional sports team or travelling as a participant in international sporting events. Particularly valuable as good covers are Golf and Tennis, both of which allow the character to travel widely." Under the rules as written, it's -- well, an identity the writers figure is particularly valuable as a good cover.

(I don't know why they didn't include that rule for characters who take Photography twice, or characters who take Cook twice, or characters who take Swimming: Advanced twice, or characters who take an Engineering skill twice, or whatever; only, for some reason, Sports.)
Nightmask
Palladin

Regularguy wrote:
Probably a GM call, it'd be difficult to have something like that as a cover identity since you're talking something pretty high profile (just look how much effort goes into following and announcing various up and comings and who's drafted by who). Professional sports would be simply too high profile to work as a cover.

You do realize, though, what the skill actually says, right? "That means the character can have a secret identity working as a member of a professional sports team or travelling as a participant in international sporting events. Particularly valuable as good covers are Golf and Tennis, both of which allow the character to travel widely." Under the rules as written, it's -- well, an identity the writers figure is particularly valuable as a good cover.

(I don't know why they didn't include that rule for characters who take Photography twice, or characters who take Cook twice, or characters who take Swimming: Advanced twice, or characters who take an Engineering skill twice, or whatever; only, for some reason, Sports.)

Because they couldn't cover everything, and some of those are already covered under other areas, and didn't really think things through to suggest one could have a cover identity of something as high profile as professional sports while stating something of lower profile like a medical doctor being too obvious.

Regularguy
Adventurer

Nightmask wrote:Because they couldn't cover everything, and some of those are already covered under other areas, and didn't really think things through to suggest one could have a cover identity of something as high profile as professional sports while stating something of lower profile like a medical doctor being too obvious.

No, that's actually my point: right there on the list of descriptions for assorted cover identities, it's explicitly spelled out that "the character could be a jockey (if small enough) ... Since there are races all over the world, this often provides a good cover." The entire reason I mentioned those skills in Photography and Cook and Swimming and Engineering was because they were "already covered under other areas" with the Photographer and Chef and Diver and Consulting Engineer cover identities.
Nightmask
Palladin

Regularguy wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Because they couldn't cover everything, and some of those are already covered under other areas, and didn't really think things through to suggest one could have a cover identity of something as high profile as professional sports while stating something of lower profile like a medical doctor being too obvious.

No, that's actually my point: right there on the list of descriptions for assorted cover identities, it's explicitly spelled out that "the character could be a jockey (if small enough) ... Since there are races all over the world, this often provides a good cover." The entire reason I mentioned those skills in Photography and Cook and Swimming and Engineering was because they were "already covered under other areas" with the Photographer and Chef and Diver and Consulting Engineer cover identities.

I imagine that's because there is more that goes into creating a cover identity than just 'being a chef' or 'being a nurse'. There are even a few cover identities that note you probably should take associated skills to be more believable BUT you aren't required to have them. So you could have a nurse cover identity without medical skills, people just think you're a poser or an incompetent nurse. There are a range of things you have to engage in to meet the requirements of a cover identity, activities that just taking cooking at professional level don't provide you require that skill program in order to get all your ducks in a row as it were.

Regularguy
Adventurer

I imagine that's because there is more that goes into creating a cover identity than just 'being a chef' or 'being a nurse'. There are even a few cover identities that note you probably should take associated skills to be more believable BUT you aren't required to have them. So you could have a nurse cover identity without medical skills, people just think you're a poser or an incompetent nurse. There are a range of things you have to engage in to meet the requirements of a cover identity, activities that just taking cooking at professional level don't provide you require that skill program in order to get all your ducks in a row as it were.

Again, though, buying Sports twice apparently does "get all your ducks in a row". I don't see "a range of things you have to engage in to meet the requirements of a cover identity"; upon taking a double dose of the skill that "gives him professional status", he "can have have a secret identity working as a member of a professional sports team" -- as if there were, in fact, nothing "more that goes into creating a cover identity".
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

Nightmask wrote:Covert identities are linked to Skill Programs, most don't offer them. All but one Espionage skill program (Professional Thief) offers a cover identity and one Military program the rest don't offer any. It's noted there's no point duplicating cover identities and if you've multiples available to get different ones to exploit the variety involved. The ability to gain others or provide them to characters who lack the suitable skill programs would become a house rule created by the GM at that point as there aren't any rules describing acquiring more such identities after the game starts.

Thanks! :ok:

mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: AtB x N&SS

Unread post by mobuttu »

Ok, here you are another question:

Crossing AtB + N&SS. PC creation. What SDC base would you apply? That one from Animal size table in the AtB or the one from OCC in N&SS?

Thanks for your imput.

Nightmask
Palladin

mobuttu wrote:Ok, here you are another question:

Crossing AtB + N&SS. PC creation. What SDC base would you apply? That one from Animal size table in the AtB or the one from OCC in N&SS?

Thanks for your imput.

The one from AtB or N&SS, whichever is greater.

mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

MT-NME wrote:I would try to standardize the mutant animal creation. For example make everyone the same size level with full hands and biped, maybe give them all powers/weapons or give everyone the same amount of bio-e to play with.

That's a thing to think about. Thanks!

I'll probably "force" every character to be full bipedal, hands and speech and keeping size level between 6 and 12 (?) but spending bio-e. After all, Bio-E points are designed to balance different animal species. I want a N&SS campaign with animals. Qi was designed for a "high magic" setting and I want a more "Bourne Myth" feeling (but with mutant animals).

Nightmask
Palladin

mobuttu wrote:
MT-NME wrote:I would try to standardize the mutant animal creation. For example make everyone the same size level with full hands and biped, maybe give them all powers/weapons or give everyone the same amount of bio-e to play with.

That's a thing to think about. Thanks!

I'll probably "force" every character to be full bipedal, hands and speech and keeping size level between 6 and 12 (?) but spending bio-e. After all, Bio-E points are designed to balance different animal species. I want a N&SS campaign with animals. Qi was designed for a "high magic" setting and I want a more "Bourne Myth" feeling (but with mutant animals).

Bio-E doesn't really balance things, often it restricts creation and often results in a 'humans in fursuits' result for the mutant animal because by the time it's through acquiring a humanoid bipedal stance as a human (and most often seen in comics and cartoons) and human size they haven't anything left over for animal attributes.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Bah. Tiger with Tiger Claw is too obvious. Now a Mouse dedicated martial artist with tiger claw and Monkey Style...
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nightmask
Palladin

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Bah. Tiger with Tiger Claw is too obvious. Now a Mouse dedicated martial artist with tiger claw and Monkey Style...

Oooo, scary and quite unexpected. Given the body style requirements of Kick Boxing a small slender mouse would be perfect for that style as well.

Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

I am currently doing this with my TMNT game.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

Trooper Jim wrote:I am currently doing this with my TMNT game.

Very interesting!

Could you explain the PC construction procedure you apply?

Do you set any animal size restrictions? What SDC do you use?

Any comments will be very appreciated. Thanks!

Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

We built the animal using the AtB rules. As far as the Bio-E allocation. But we used the OCCs from N&SS. As far as SDC, we use the Animal SDC.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

Trooper Jim wrote:We built the animal using the AtB rules. As far as the Bio-E allocation. But we used the OCCs from N&SS. As far as SDC, we use the Animal SDC.

Thank you!

Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

mobuttu wrote:
Trooper Jim wrote:We built the animal using the AtB rules. As far as the Bio-E allocation. But we used the OCCs from N&SS. As far as SDC, we use the Animal SDC.

Thank you!

You are welcome. I didn't put a actual size restriction on the PCs. I told them that we are playing in a modified TMNT setting. And sneaking around when your are 16 feet tall is not as easy as if you are 5 - 6 feet tall.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

Trooper Jim wrote:
mobuttu wrote:

Thank you!

You are welcome. I didn't put a actual size restriction on the PCs. I told them that we are playing in a modified TMNT setting. And sneaking around when your are 16 feet tall is not as easy as if you are 5 - 6 feet tall.

Good! :ok:

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

I like this idea. Nice work Mobuttu and Trooper Jim. I'm in slightly modded world as well. Following TMNT rules except for the character build/bio-e part (step 4) that part comes from AtB2. It results in some over powered PC's but that makes for some good Role playing. When your scrupulous PC eviscerates people with one hit because of Crushing PS, you've gotta use your brain or risk totally boning your alignment.

I'd be excited to hear about the MA Mutant Animal Pc who is knocking down buildings. But no panda's, you're better than that.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Mephisto wrote:Squirrel Girl with tae kwon do and jujitsu would also be a pretty tough character but she wouldn't have much of a social life either...
Everyone knows Squirrel Girl has an amazing social life. Everyone wants her. Deadpool and Doom can't stop her.

Also: I think it can count as a social life when you interact with sparring partners at dojos.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”