Is ther a Sabotage skill in N&SS and Mystic China?

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

Is ther a Sabotage skill in N&SS and Mystic China?

Unread post by gaby »

I would like to known if thers a Saboutage skill?
flatline
Knight

Re: Is ther a Sabotage skill in N&SS and Mystic China?

Unread post by flatline »

Well, if you want to sabotage an electric device, it helps to know how electronics work. If you want to sabotage a car, automotive mechanics would help.

What I'm getting at is that there is no specific sabotage skill so much as you need the appropriate skill to do the type of sabotage you have in mind.

--flatline
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

What I'm getting at is that there is no specific sabotage skill so much as you need the appropriate skill to do the type of sabotage you have in mind.

For bonus points, that's spelled out explicitly; the entry for Mechanical Engineer specifies that it lets a character "sabotage, repair, or construct mechanical devices", sure as Computer Repair applies whether you're trying to "sabotage, or fix computers."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Rappanui wrote:N&S has a sabotage Gizmoteer skill program, it includes Mechanical engineering, and other skills and lists modifiers for doing such.
That is what you want.

What version of the book do you have? Because I've never seen a sabotage Gizmoteer Skill program in the book.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Rappanui wrote:sorry, it was something from the interweb:
however, the professional Theif program coupled with some mechanics is all you need to be a saboteur.

Well you'd think the Guerrilla Warfare Skill Program would include sabotage, not that it takes much skill to break something. Skill in something only matters if you want to try and have it keep working and only break down at a specific moment.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Rappanui wrote:sorry, it was something from the interweb:
however, the professional Theif program coupled with some mechanics is all you need to be a saboteur.

You could do a lot worse than the Locksmith & Security Systems program to get started as a saboteur: you became a Mechanical Engineer ("to redesign, modify, sabotage, repair, or construct mechanical devices") who excels at Electronic Counter-Measures ("preventing the enemy's communications from working"), and that's already a useful combination no other program lets you one-stop shop...

Nightmask wrote:not that it takes much skill to break something. Skill in something only matters if you want to try and have it keep working and only break down at a specific moment.

...sure as someone with the L&SS program has a specialized knack for constructing nifty traps and locking mechanisms built around the player's what-would-happen-if specifications -- plus, of course, he's got a bonus from Surveillance Systems when making Electrical Engineering checks "to bypass security systems and burglar alarms" -- along with Demolitions Disposal to defuse assorted booby-traps, and Demolitions itself "for the purpose of blowing up bridges, buildings and sabotage."

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”