Question about cooking (yes I'm serious)...

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Question about cooking (yes I'm serious)...

Unread post by Colt47 »

This is a conversation piece that came up during a talk with a friend, but if someones martial art included a knife proficiency and cooking as a skill and someone wanted to show off by cutting up a carrot mid air, would that be the cooking skill or the knife proficiency coming into play? My money is on the knife proficiency, but on the other hand it might need to be cut in a specific way for the recipe. :?
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Neo
Explorer
Comment: God I feel old.

Re: Question about cooking (yes I'm serious)...

Unread post by Neo »

If it was cutting specific to a dish, like with sushi, then it would be the cooking skill. If they were cutting something to show off, then it would be the knife skill. So in essence when cutting food crosses from preparing food normally to abnormal food prep, it goes from cooking to knife skill.
What the Bloody Hell are you freaks all talking about
-- Rayven

The line I was referring to was the "If I step over this line I officially become so stupid that I no longer have a right to live" line
-- Shaded Helios

mmmm, time to make the chocolate chili. Yup! I prefected it
-- Sara The TG
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

knife skill, cooking would be fine work with a knife and such but fancy mid air cuts that just split a carrot isnt cooking its only other skill I could think of would be entertainer or showmanship.
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

I would say a cooking roll to know what way said carrot is to be cut for the recipe and WP for the cut itself.
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Zamion138 wrote:knife skill, cooking would be fine work with a knife and such but fancy mid air cuts that just split a carrot isn't cooking its only other skill I could think of would be entertainer or showmanship.

Ranko did this, in Ranma 1/2, when Mrs. Sautome came for a visit once. But she forgot to wash the vegetables before doing the cutting then up for the salad.
And Akane gets bits of cutting board in her cutting.

So I would say h2h, MAF, and WPs have no effect on the cooking skill, except that they let you avoid hurting yourself while cooking.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Colt47 wrote:This is a conversation piece that came up during a talk with a friend, but if someones martial art included a knife proficiency and cooking as a skill and someone wanted to show off by cutting up a carrot mid air, would that be the cooking skill or the knife proficiency coming into play? My money is on the knife proficiency, but on the other hand it might need to be cut in a specific way for the recipe. :?

If he's trying to do that thing that Gena Davis did in The Long Kiss Goodnight, that would fall under the weapon proficency,
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Mephisto wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:knife skill, cooking would be fine work with a knife and such but fancy mid air cuts that just split a carrot isn't cooking its only other skill I could think of would be entertainer or showmanship.

Ranko did this, in Ranma 1/2, when Mrs. Sautome came for a visit once. But she forgot to wash the vegetables before doing the cutting then up for the salad.
And Akane gets bits of cutting board in her cutting.

So I would say h2h, MAF, and WPs have no effect on the cooking skill, except that they let you avoid hurting yourself while cooking.

The best line in that OVA was when Akane said "I can't believe I'm being outcooked by a guy" great line and great reverse sexism.

Particularly since when it comes to Chefs and who's the greatest cook it's generally been a male-dominated field in spite of women being expected to be the ones to cook in the household.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Ninjapuppy wrote:Chef

Character Bonuses:
PP+2

Combat Skills:
Escape Moves: Roll, With punch fall of impact, Breakfall (Avoiding damages while bumping into other chefs.)
Basic Defenses: Dodge.
Advanced Defenses: Multiple Dodge, Maintain Balance (Avoiding other chefs, souse chefs and others in the kitchen without spilling or droping food).
Hand Attacks: None.
Kick Attacks: Kick (Usually used to close a fridge door or cupboard when hands are full).
Special Attacks: Death Blow ( The killing of fresh seafood and other living ingredients).
Holds/Locks: Combination Hold/Strike: Firmly grasping a target while initiating a Knife skill on it. Requires strike roll to grasp firmly followed by the roll to Strike with the Knife Skill.
Weapon Katas: W.P. Knife.
Modifiers to Attack: None.

Martial Art Skills: The chef may choose three of the following special Chef Techniques.

Fillet Martial Art Technique(special): A double damage strike with a knife which requires a natural roll over 12. Success opens up the flank or belly of the target doing damage directly to Hit Points.

Breakdown Kata (special): Entering the Kata allows a series of dislocating strikes which tear conective tissue from joints. Requires a successful Hold Strike, followed by a roll over 12. If successful, the limb takes double damage and is imobilized!

Tenderize Martial Art technique (special): A rapid pounding action which breaks down connective tissue, muscle leaving the limb lifeless and limp. Paralysis for 1d6 hours, does double damage with roll of 12 or higher.

Presentation Art Of Stealth (Special): The ability to make anything look edible even if it is not. Base Roll 55%+5% per level. If successful, a recipient of the food will eat the food regardlesss of what it is and overlook the possibility of poison or other foreign additives.

Rapid Knife Martial Art Technique (special): Allows the chef to make a number of knife strikes equal to his attacks in the first attack of the Melee.

Language: Any.
Cultural: Cook.

A question on this particular tecnique... is it like the Muay Thai Lightning Kata where all attacks are expended in the first attack and the character is left to defend himself for the rest of the melee only, or does the character still retain the rest of his attacks afterward? Also... what are the starting attacks for level one and level advancement bonuses? Beyond that... nicely done!
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Nicely done! The only other thing I could possibly suggest would be an expanded list of Chef skills/powers... maybe something like a Pepper Cloud using spices blown from the hand into an opponent's face as a blinding attack or even a blind fighting derivative allowing him to attack opponents to his sides and rear without actually seeing them (I've seen some really good chef's chopping, slicing and dicing with one hand while concentrating on something completely different like working a saucepan or using another knife on another food item) Excellent work either way!
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”