Weakest MA; Attacks-Tein Hseuh

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Change attacks for Tein Hsueh

Yes-1
18%
no-2
82%

Total votes: 11

Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud
425 Geek Points "There is NO separation between God, & Man" Joseph Campbell

Weakest MA; Attacks-Tein Hseuh

Unread post by Grandil »

Why does Tien Hsueh-touch mastery only get 1 attack for 1st through 15th? This sucks....
Sometimes a Cigar is just a cigar-Jung to Freud
Feel it- Freud's Cigar, 300 geek points!
Regularguy
Adventurer

Re: Weakest MA; Attacks-Tein Hseuh

Unread post by Regularguy »

Why does Tien Hsueh-touch mastery only get 1 attack for 1st through 15th?

It gets another one at 9th.

This sucks....

It lets you combine the Arts of Invisibility with Chi Mastery and Zenjoriki powers and Atemi skills -- and it's among the handful of Atemi styles to offer Dim Mak, as the only art offering it while you're struggling to be effective at low levels. For some builds, that's ideal to the point of being irreplaceable; for others, it sucks. What specific change do you have in mind?
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud

Unread post by Grandil »

Regularguy wrote:
Why does Tien Hsueh-touch mastery only get 1 attack for 1st through 15th?

It gets another one at 9th.

This sucks....

It lets you combine the Arts of Invisibility with Chi Mastery and Zenjoriki powers and Atemi skills -- and it's among the handful of Atemi styles to offer Dim Mak, as the only art offering it while you're struggling to be effective at low levels. For some builds, that's ideal to the point of being irreplaceable; for others, it sucks. What specific change do you have in mind?

Feel the need for at least 2 more attacks; 4th or 5th, & 12th or 13th. Thats how I'd do it...
Thanks regularguy!
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Grandil wrote:Why does Tien Hsueh-touch mastery only get 1 attack for 1st through 15th? This sucks....

Because you get Dim Mak at first level? In other words, all you need is one attack. :)

Also, you're using the wrong version. The UNrevised version is better.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Mantisking wrote:
Grandil wrote:Why does Tien Hsueh-touch mastery only get 1 attack for 1st through 15th? This sucks....

Because you get Dim Mak at first level? In other words, all you need is one attack. :)

If you're successful, and landing a successful Dim Mak on an unsuspecting opponent just means that after he's killed you you've the consolation he's going to eventually die anyway. Dim Mak's not an instant kill attack remember, it just means you die a slow (or fast if already low on positive Chi or pushed into the negatives) wasting death as your body can't heal from anything no matter how trivial not even a paper cut. If you need an instant kill in a fight you're out of luck using Dim Mak.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Mantisking wrote:Because you get Dim Mak at first level? In other words, all you need is one attack. :)

Nightmask wrote:If you're successful, and landing a successful Dim Mak on an unsuspecting opponent just means that after he's killed you you've the consolation he's going to eventually die anyway. Dim Mak's not an instant kill attack remember, it just means you die a slow (or fast if already low on positive Chi or pushed into the negatives) wasting death as your body can't heal from anything no matter how trivial not even a paper cut. If you need an instant kill in a fight you're out of luck using Dim Mak.

"He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day." Also, why engage in a standup fight when you can just as easily bump someone in a crowd to cover up the usage of Dim Mak? This style should be used as a weapon of terror rather than part of the arsenal of a combat monster.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Nightmask
Palladin

Mantisking wrote:
Mantisking wrote:Because you get Dim Mak at first level? In other words, all you need is one attack. :)

Nightmask wrote:If you're successful, and landing a successful Dim Mak on an unsuspecting opponent just means that after he's killed you you've the consolation he's going to eventually die anyway. Dim Mak's not an instant kill attack remember, it just means you die a slow (or fast if already low on positive Chi or pushed into the negatives) wasting death as your body can't heal from anything no matter how trivial not even a paper cut. If you need an instant kill in a fight you're out of luck using Dim Mak.

"He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day." Also, why engage in a standup fight when you can just as easily bump someone in a crowd to cover up the usage of Dim Mak? This style should be used as a weapon of terror rather than part of the arsenal of a combat monster.

Well it's not like a PC tends to have the option of never having to engage someone in melee combat (and it's essential for you to make physical contact with a specific form of melee attack to inflict someone with Dim Mak), some GM won't even create scenarios that don't at some point require combat. Plus you can't just bump someone in a crowd, you have to land a specific style of attack on them (one Finger attack I think), so you have to basically be free to poke them and be successful.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Nightmask wrote:Well it's not like a PC tends to have the option of never having to engage someone in melee combat (and it's essential for you to make physical contact with a specific form of melee attack to inflict someone with Dim Mak), some GM won't even create scenarios that don't at some point require combat. Plus you can't just bump someone in a crowd, you have to land a specific style of attack on them (one Finger attack I think), so you have to basically be free to poke them and be successful.

Hey, as per MC a 1st-level martial artist with Tien-Hsueh can specialize in the dreaded long-distance Dim Mak, to launch no-touch delayed-death kills while relying on an Art of Invisibility: avoiding melee whenever possible, but ready to use his doubled initial chi if he suddenly needs, say, a triple-digit amount of Hardened Chi protection against an assailant's best shot -- when going for paralysis by launching a simultaneous attack to the vital points to keep the guy from fighting back. (It'd be a weird build, but arguably workable.)
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

Mantisking wrote:

I do use apocryphals. That being said, Noble Knight Games?
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

Why is nobody voting?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Grandil wrote:Why is nobody voting?

This is why.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

frogboy wrote:This martial art to me is for a fellow who will sneak up in a crowed and get you. Due to the crowed I played with I banned this martial art because they abused it.

Care to share some stories of it? :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

The Beast wrote:

This is why.

Sticks & stones, But Whips & Chains excite me :lol:
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Grandil wrote:
The Beast wrote:

This is why.

Sticks & stones, But Whips & Chains excite me :lol:

Lol
Nightmask
Palladin

Rider wrote:Touch Mastery is not a martial art that's intended to be a melee brawler style. I believe the description says something about it being isolated to family lines and only 12 people in the world ever knowing it at once, something like that.

It's for villains who generally don't get their hands dirty. You have minions with lots of attacks to do that brawling for you, because if they don't, you'll activate the negative chi you put into their family members.

Not totally isolated to family lines, and you get the impression that there really are more who are masters than just a dozen (the Commando Mercenary if memory serves can select Touch Mastery and he's hardly going to be a member of such an isolationist family to have been a military man in the first place). It's also possible to not be evil and know Touch Mastery, occasionally diabolic characters do have profound shifts and turn good (like the Apok in Wormwood), and this is noted in the book. It just means you aren't going to be an active front-line fighter and you have to reject your most powerful attacks if you don't want to fall back into the evil you've rejected.

Nightmask
Palladin

Rider wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Not totally isolated to family lines

I know it's not an absolute rule, that's just how it tends to be. Someone who taught non-family would be deviating from tradition, and isn't it something like they want to artificially limit how many people who know the art, and they might kill those who go over that number?

Tradition requires you pass things on, if family won't do you go outside of family. There's a master swordsmith in Japan who's still making swords like they did centuries ago but his son's a mediocre smith whereas this foreigner (a young Brazillian guy if memory serves) is proving a perfect student of his teachings so he's got to decide if after centuries of father-to-son tradition if he will have to pass his position down to the non-family but better-skilled foreigner.

Rider wrote:
Nightmask wrote:you get the impression that there really are more who are masters than just a dozen (the Commando Mercenary if memory serves can select Touch Mastery and he's hardly going to be a member of such an isolationist family to have been a military man in the first place).

Eh you never know, maybe it's from one of those families who sends their kids out into the worlds to toughen them off. Like Heihachi throwing Kazuya off the cliff.

Not how the OCC is described, you start as a military man and get interested in the mystic martial arts one of which is shown to be Tien-Hsueh.

Rider wrote:
Nightmask wrote:It just means you aren't going to be an active front-line fighter and you have to reject your most powerful attacks if you don't want to fall back into the evil you've rejected.

I imagine with their knowledge of biology, the Tien Hsueh would make an excellent doctor.

I actually saw that as the basis for a Tien-Hsueh character I was playing around with having been trained in the art and going on to become a medical doctor as the training in anatomy and the human body got them fascinated in medicine. After which they had their epiphany and went from Diabolic to Scrupulous or Principled.

Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

I'm surprised at all the answers! Thanks, Gents!

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”