Learning new MA styles

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Learning new MA styles

Unread post by Nightmask »

Looking over some of the old Q&A there's discussion as to how a character isn't constrained to just what MA they start with but can learn new forms over time with effort similar to continuing education in HU. Has anyone had a GM actually allow someone to learn something new or has it been pretty much 'Sorry your Tinker Gizmoteer is stuck with HtH: MA and can't learn Tae Kwon Do to improve himself in unarmed combat'? How would this likely be handled in the scope of a game? Given the time and other costs involved to pull it off in at least some cases.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Learning new MA styles

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

i've been able to learn Martial Arts as the game progresses. In fact it was even supported by default with the list of "If you know this martial art, you can learn this list of similar martial arts in a reduced span of time"

The real problem? Even the lowest i've seen you can learn an art in, even with the bonus for having a similar one, is 3 years. Most games don't really cover that span of time. Even if you find training, it'll take 3 years of daily practice for it. most games don't allow that kinda downtime.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:i've been able to learn Martial Arts as the game progresses. In fact it was even supported by default with the list of "If you know this martial art, you can learn this list of similar martial arts in a reduced span of time"

The real problem? Even the lowest i've seen you can learn an art in, even with the bonus for having a similar one, is 3 years. Most games don't really cover that span of time. Even if you find training, it'll take 3 years of daily practice for it. most games don't allow that kinda downtime.

True, Palladium isn't built around that kind of quick progress. I don't even think with all the RCC/OCC/PCC I've seen that one has ever had the ability to learn faster than the average. No matter how superior your IQ or other abilities you aren't going to learn how to cook any faster than anyone else, or learn a new language, or pick up a new Weapon Proficiency.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Yea. the first time I learned a new martial art is in a very long ongoing campaign that used timeholes. It's lasted for 6+ years now and still ongoing.

The second time, it was actually a reboot. The game started, died due to various reasons, then was rebooted with teh same characters a few years later, during which it was said I picked up the MA.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Nightmask wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:i've been able to learn Martial Arts as the game progresses. In fact it was even supported by default with the list of "If you know this martial art, you can learn this list of similar martial arts in a reduced span of time"

True, Palladium isn't built around that kind of quick progress. I don't even think with all the RCC/OCC/PCC I've seen that one has ever had the ability to learn faster than the average. No matter how superior your IQ or other abilities you aren't going to learn how to cook any faster than anyone else, or learn a new language, or pick up a new Weapon Proficiency.

The rouge scholor OCC can teach other characters secondary skills at base profinecy in a few weeks.

But yea, in most of palladium, you get new skills as you level up only.

In Heroes Unlimited, you can go to school at any time, but it never says how long it takes.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”