Expanding N&SS with Robotics/Spacecraft skills

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Expanding N&SS with Robotics/Spacecraft skills

Unread post by Nightmask »

So how would one go about integrating the Robotics and Spacecraft skills from other settings into the various skill programs for N&SS? Would Robot Mechanics and Robot Electronics fit under Vehicle Construction, Cybernetics Construction, or both? Spacecraft Mechanics would fit under Vehicle Construction but how to integrate the various drive repair/construction skills? Any that really just shouldn't be included or that should be included?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Expanding N&SS with Robotics/Spacecraft skills

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The skills you are talking about do not fit into the N&S setting as it is set out in the book.

However, the answers you are looking for are in the HU Galaxy Guild book.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nightmask
Palladin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The skills you are talking about do not fit into the N&S setting as it is set out in the book.

Not sure how you reach that conclusion, when you've got cyborg super-soldiers running around and one of the more well known Super-spies Steve Austin the Bionic Man fought humanoid robots and had at least one space-based mission against villains on the moon.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Nightmask wrote:So how would one go about integrating the Robotics and Spacecraft skills from other settings into the various skill programs for N&SS?

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The skills you are talking about do not fit into the N&S setting as it is set out in the book.

You would go about by integrating the N&S chars into the HU or MiO settings.
Nightmask wrote: Would Robot Mechanics and Robot Electronics fit under Vehicle Construction, Cybernetics Construction, or both?

None of the above.
Nightmask wrote:Spacecraft Mechanics would fit under Vehicle Construction but how to integrate the various drive repair/construction skills?
The char would need the specific drive mechanics skill to make any repair to a space drive.
Nightmask wrote:Any that really just shouldn't be included or that should be included?
No, they are not included because they are not a part of the setting theme of being the superspies and ninja stories of the 1960's through the 1980's. To include SpaceCraft and Robotics skills would take a change in the setting theme.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nightmask
Palladin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Nightmask wrote:So how would one go about integrating the Robotics and Spacecraft skills from other settings into the various skill programs for N&SS?

You would go about by integrating the N&S chars into the HU or MiO settings.

I don't see where that's such a necessity, since as I already noted there are examples supporting super-spies dealing with robots and with space settings, albeit rarely. Certainly the Six Million Dollar Man was a super-spy who twice fought a non-humanoid robot (the Venus Probe), and several times battled pure robots and had at least one moon mission. It may not be common but it's not something that never happens in super-spy stories either.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Nightmask wrote: Would Robot Mechanics and Robot Electronics fit under Vehicle Construction, Cybernetics Construction, or both?

None of the above.

Well now they must fit under one or the other, Robotics is closely related to cybernetics but power armor and larger style robots are considered vehicles suggesting that the two skills are suited for both for different reasons.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Any that really just shouldn't be included or that should be included?
No, they are not included because they are not a part of the setting theme of being the superspies and ninja stories of the 1960's through the 1980's. To include SpaceCraft and Robotics skills would take a change in the setting theme.

Afraid I just don't see it, when you've seen characters like James Bond battling villainous organizations with space stations and super-weapons just can't see how a super-spy setting exists mutually exclusive with robots or spacecraft.

Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Incidents set in orbit are a staple of more than a couple of old Bond Films, so they are a definite possiblity within a N&SS campaign. Robotics are less so, but killer robots have been a staple of popular fiction for much longer than the technology has actually existed, so I'm all for including them in N&SS. However, I do think incorporating such things should be kept relatively rare.

Anyway, Here's a little something from my N&SS notes.

Robotics Skill Program
(Science or Gizmoteer, Requires minimum education equivalent to a Master's Degree)
Advanced Math
Computer Programming
Artificial Intelligence
Robot Electronics
Robot Mechanics
Electrical Engineer
Mechanical Enginieer

Space Exploration
(Advanced Transportation, Gizmoteer, or Science Program, Requires minimum educational equivalent of Specialized Training)
Computer Operation
Read Sensory Equipment
Depressurization Training
Zero-G Movement
3 Skills of Choice from among Communications, Electrical, Mechanical, Transportation/Pilot: Advanced, Transportation/Pilot Related, and/or Science skills.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Nightmask
Palladin

Mercdog wrote:Incidents set in orbit are a staple of more than a couple of old Bond Films, so they are a definite possiblity within a N&SS campaign. Robotics are less so, but killer robots have been a staple of popular fiction for much longer than the technology has actually existed, so I'm all for including them in N&SS. However, I do think incorporating such things should be kept relatively rare.

Robotics Skill Program
(Science or Gizmoteer, Requires minimum education equivalent to a Master's Degree)
Advanced Math
Computer Programming
Artificial Intelligence
Robot Electronics
Robot Mechanics
Electrical Engineer
Mechanical Enginieer

Space Exploration
(Advanced Transportation, Gizmoteer, or Science Program, Requires minimum educational equivalent of Specialized Training)
Computer Operation
Read Sensory Equipment
Zero-G Movement
3 Skills of Choice from among Communications, Electrical, Mechanical, Transportation/Pilot: Advanced, Transportation/Pilot Related, and/or Science skills.

Ahhh, that's quite helpful thanks for contributing that! I hadn't even remembered that the Space Skills needed including, at least if you wanted agents with proper space training.

Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Nightmask wrote:
Mercdog wrote:Incidents set in orbit are a staple of more than a couple of old Bond Films, so they are a definite possiblity within a N&SS campaign. Robotics are less so, but killer robots have been a staple of popular fiction for much longer than the technology has actually existed, so I'm all for including them in N&SS. However, I do think incorporating such things should be kept relatively rare.

Robotics Skill Program
Advanced Math
Computer Programming
Artificial Intelligence
Robot Electronics
Robot Mechanics
Electrical Engineer
Mechanical Enginieer

Space Exploration
Computer Operation
Read Sensory Equipment
Zero-G Movement

Ahhh, that's quite helpful thanks for contributing that! I hadn't even remembered that the Space Skills needed including, at least if you wanted agents with proper space training.

Your welcome. :)
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

I have to say I have used N&SS ooc's for military based scifi games in, the academy officer fits for you "starfleet officer type"

so yeah I don't see a problem there. in Fact i like the old skill programs as it seems easier to build the kind of officers you need, though it seems limited to academy officers, and none-coms... not sure how you would do a mustang er
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

Since the actual setting info in the book is not very specific, i think it would fit fine in a space based game. The possiblities are limited only by your imagination.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Considering the longest campaign I ever played in was based in the Traveller universe using N&S rules, I think there's no problem using the Robotics and Spacecraft rules from other Palladium games.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”