Modifiers to attacks...?

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MrShowtime
Wanderer

Modifiers to attacks...?

Unread post by MrShowtime »

I'm new to N&SS. I would like to know what the Modifiers to attacks mean. Aside from saying what modifiers each Martial Art gets, I couldn't find anything that says what the modifier is. There is a modifier table based on the 8 attributes but it doesn't say what those go with either. Is there info somewhere on this? Should I just know this? Am I missing it?

Oh, a second question... How many of you like the battle system? Does it work the way a real fight does? I watch MMA and the battle system just doesn't support any form of realism. Anyone feel this way? Anyone do any fixing of the system?
Mantisking
Hero

Re: Modifiers to attacks...?

Unread post by Mantisking »

MrShowtime wrote:I'm new to N&SS. I would like to know what the Modifiers to attacks mean. Aside from saying what modifiers each Martial Art gets, I couldn't find anything that says what the modifier is. There is a modifier table based on the 8 attributes but it doesn't say what those go with either. Is there info somewhere on this? Should I just know this? Am I missing it?

A Modifier to Attacks modifies what the attack does. A Critical Strike increases damage, Pull Punch reduces damage, and Knockout/Stun makes people wonky. Which should mean that it's an actual Attack rather than a modifier, but there you go.

MrShowtime wrote:Oh, a second question... How many of you like the battle system? Does it work the way a real fight does? I watch MMA and the battle system just doesn't support any form of realism. Anyone feel this way? Anyone do any fixing of the system?

The combat system is meant to model the back-and-forth of old kung fu movies. If you're looking for realism, you're out of luck.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
MrShowtime
Wanderer

OK... It outlines elsewhere that they are attacks, It says modifier... there must be somewhere that says what the modifier is... or how much or whatever...

and I know what each of those particular things (Critical Strike, Pull Punch etc.) do but when it's listed in the Modifier to Attacks of a particular Martial Art form does it mean that only those particular ones can be used with that martial art?

Tae Kwon Do has Pull Punch, Knock-Out/Stun, Critical Strike and Critical Strike From Rear.
Snake Style Kung Fu has Pull Punch, Knock-Out/Stun, Critical Strike.
Jujutsu has Pull Punch, Knock-Out/Stun, Critical Strike, Critical Strike From Rear, Body Flip/Throw, Critical Flip/Throw

You're never out of luck with RPGs and especially palladium RPGs. I can easily modify things to fit the way I want. I just wanted to know if anyone else had. But thanks for your input Mantisking...
Mantisking
Hero

MrShowtime wrote:and I know what each of those particular things (Critical Strike, Pull Punch etc.) do but when it's listed in the Modifier to Attacks of a particular Martial Art form does it mean that only those particular ones can be used with that martial art?

That would be correct.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
MrShowtime
Wanderer

So the modifier... would the be the strike modifier for offense maneuvers and the parry modifier for defensive maneuvers? It only just hit me that that could be the modifiers used... God how stupid I feel lol
Mantisking
Hero

MrShowtime wrote:So the modifier... would the be the strike modifier for offense maneuvers and the parry modifier for defensive maneuvers? It only just hit me that that could be the modifiers used... God how stupid I feel lol

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”