Ong Bak in MMA

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mantisking
Hero

Ong Bak in MMA

Unread post by Mantisking »

In the last minute, of the last round, of the last fight, of the last event the WEC ever, Anthony Pettis broke out one of the coolest moves ever seen in a MMA bout. Seriously. This belonged in a HK movie.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Hibik
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Ong Bak in MMA

Unread post by Hibik »

First off... that is actually the coolest thing I've ever seen in an MMA match (and I generally don't care for MMA)

Secondly... victim-boy ouldn't even keep his guard up? Epic fail.
Come, come, whoever you are,
Wanderer, idolater, worshiper of fire,
Come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair. - Rumi
Mantisking
Hero

Hibik wrote:First off... that is actually the coolest thing I've ever seen in an MMA match (and I generally don't care for MMA)

I watch a fair amount, and it's still the coolest thing I've seen in a MMA match.

Hibik wrote:Secondly... victim-boy ouldn't even keep his guard up? Epic fail.

I'm guessing he thought he was out of range. But, that's what you get for backing up in a straight line.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
MrShowtime
Wanderer

Unread post by MrShowtime »

I will admit that The Off the Cage kick delivered by Anthony Pettis on Benson Henderson was by far one of, if not the, best maneuver of 2010 in MMA. But being a huge MMA fan, I can't agree that it was the coolest thing ever in MMA. Or even the best kick ever! Yes it was flashy and exciting but without a finish to the fight, that's all it was: Flash! And yes, in a sport still in it's infancy, to gain new fans, flash is needed. Though I always hope for more than just flash. I'm greedy! When I see the flash... I want a crash to go with it.

But I will say it was the single best kick of 2010. I hope that kick made you boys more interested in the sport on a more than casual level.
It would also be great to see more Kung-Fu movie moves in MMA lol
Mantisking
Hero

MrShowtime wrote:I will admit that The Off the Cage kick delivered by Anthony Pettis on Benson Henderson was by far one of, if not the, best maneuver of 2010 in MMA. But being a huge MMA fan, I can't agree that it was the coolest thing ever in MMA. Or even the best kick ever! Yes it was flashy and exciting but without a finish to the fight, that's all it was: Flash! And yes, in a sport still in it's infancy, to gain new fans, flash is needed. Though I always hope for more than just flash. I'm greedy! When I see the flash... I want a crash to go with it.

The kick put Henderson on the mat with his hands wide open. I'd call that a crash, maybe even a flash knockout. If that kick had landed just a tiny bit cleaner Henderson would have been out.

MrShowtime wrote:But I will say it was the single best kick of 2010. I hope that kick made you boys more interested in the sport on a more than casual level.
It would also be great to see more Kung-Fu movie moves in MMA lol

I've been watching for four or five years now and get together with friends to watch when a card is good enough to buy. So I'd say I'm into it more than casually.
MrShowtime
Wanderer

Well thats good. I grow tired of casual fans who think they know things when they don't.

Some Good Head Kicks to watch:
Yves Edwards vs Josh Thompson
Gilbert Yvel vs Gary Goodridge
Gabriel Gonzaga vs Mirko Cro Cop
Anthony Njokuani vs Chris Horodecki
Just to name a few
Mantisking
Hero

MrShowtime wrote:Well thats good. I grow tired of casual fans who think they know things when they don't.

I try to keep up with what's going on.

MrShowtime wrote:Gabriel Gonzaga vs Mirko Cro Cop

I saw this when it happened, it was insane.
MrShowtime
Wanderer

Lol Everyone (myself included) saw it happening the other way around with Gonzaga/Cro Cop.

More great head kick Ko's to look at:
Dan Hornbuckle vs Akihiro Gono
Marius Zaromskis vs Jason High
Matt Hamill vs Mark Munoz
Rashad Evans vs Sean Salmon
Gary Goodridge vs Don Frye

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”