New Firearms

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mantisking
Hero

Re: New Firearms

Unread post by Mantisking »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:Damage: 1D4x85???
Mantisking wrote:It's a 35mm grenade. a 40mm does 1D4x100. If you scale it down it actually comes out to 87.5, so I just rounded it down to 85.
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:I think the damage has been scaled down in recent S.D.C. books.

I checked my copy of HU2, and it has it at 2D4x10 which is the same as a hand grenade. That's the most current S.D.C. book I have. And if you think it's too high, you don't want to look at the damage for the PAW-20 rounds I did earlier.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Most launched grenades contain less explosives than hand and rifle grenades.

A 20mm shell like the PAW-20 fires has very little explosive at all.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Mantisking
Hero

Jefffar wrote:Most launched grenades contain less explosives than hand and rifle grenades. A 20mm shell like the PAW-20 fires has very little explosive at all.

Okay. From this listing each shell weighs 110 grams, which comes out to 3.87 ounces. Assuming 1.87 ounces to propellant, casing, etc. this leaves 2 ounces to explosive. According to page 154 of N&S this would be 1D4x10 damage. Is that a fair calculation?
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well it's less potent than a grenade - which is true to the weapon. So that's a bit better.

A full scale 20 mm would have a much higher velocity, dealing more damage direct to the target. But then again, a 20 mm is designed to kill a target, not cause damage to what's around it.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

There are listed stats for the Dragunov SVD in a few books, but beware, in most of them the effective range is quoted as around a mile, when truthfully it is probably around 800 meters, or about half a mile.

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

There is also this
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Mantisking
Hero

UTAS UTS-15
This is a pump-action, bullpup shotgun that has two tube magazines. A manual switch is uses to choose between the magazines. Different types of ammunition could be loaded into each magazine increasing the tactical uses of this weapon. Designed for military and/or police use it has an integral flashlight and laser.
Cartridge: 12 Gauge.
Feed: Two 7 round tubes (14 rounds total).
Weight: 7.2 pounds (3.27 kilograms).
Overall Length: 27.8 inches (70.61 centimeters).
Barrel Length: 18.5 inches (46.99 centimeters).
Muzzle Velocity: Unknown.
Approx. Effective Range: 114.83 feet (35 meters) (Shot) / 164.04 feet (50 meters) (Slug).
Rate of Fire: 1 (Pump-Action).
Damage: 4D6 (buckshot), 5D6 (slug).
Cost: Unknown.

Designer's Notes:
  • Most of the info is from here and here.
  • Once again, no Muzzle Velocity info.
Mantisking
Hero

MegaverseTraveller wrote:Shotguns usually do not include muzzle velocity information since the muzzle velocity of a shotgun is very dependent on the shell used. The best way to guestimate the muzzle velocity of a shotgun is to check out the stats. of the appropriate shell (gauge, length and load). The UTAS UTS-15 uses 2.75 inch shells, so by looking at appropriate info from the "Federal" website, when using light shot 1100 f/s, buckshot 1300 f/s, slug 1500 f/s.

Muzzle velocity changes with barrel length, projectile weight, powder load, altitude, humidity, etc. It's a basically useless stat that really needs to be removed from gun write-ups. And if I'm reading a chart on the UTS-15 pdf correctly, they do have projectile velocity but, it's measured at 10 meters instead of at the muzzle.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”