Canadians at War

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Canadians at War

Unread post by Jefffar »

Canada has had a reputation in military affairs out of proportion with its population and it's defence budget. That reputation was earned in the bloodiest ways during one of bloodiest wars in human history.

Here's an article about the beginning of that legend.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/th ... -great-war
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
slade the sniper
Hero

Re: Canadians at War

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Good read. Thanks. Always nice to remember that there are warriors in every culture.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Yes. Though remember that there was no sizable standing army back then. These demons that terrified the Germans were farmers, factory workers, tailors, bakers, cooks and craftsmen.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

They were still trained. Also, the cultural taboos that we have were not really there at the time. Killing for food, loss of children, hard physical labor in difficult situations both urban and rural, firearms and fighting were much more prevalent skills, etc.

When dealing with folks such as those, the only real thing to teach is some of the more esoteric skills (radios, machine guns, gas masks) and group discipline. The group discipline is easily fostered by shared misery, and the military specific skills are learned by rote memorization. If the recruits are self-motivated and want to learn, then it is easy to turn them into soldiers.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”