"DM screen" for Recon

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

turko
D-Bee

"DM screen" for Recon

Unread post by turko »

Has anyone ever made or tried to make a DM screen for Recon? If so, what charts/tables/information did you have on it? I'm thinking of putting one together soon since I find I'm always flipping through the book to look up something or other.
turko
D-Bee

Re: "DM screen" for Recon

Unread post by turko »

I'm finishing up my basic DM screen for Recon. I'll try to post it up here in the next couple days.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

I think that will be a welcome addition.
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
turko
D-Bee

Unread post by turko »

Here's the two-page DM screen I made. It's mostly charts and tables I copied from the Deluxe Revised Recon edition. There might be a couple spots that don't match perfectly with what's in the book, and that means it's one of my houserules (especially the hand to hand combat section). Also, I added a random item chart. I still plan on doing some tweaks to this whole thing, or maybe adding a third page, but in the meantime, enjoy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12687698@N00/16670258796

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12687698@N00/16508806000

Somebody let me know if those links don't work or it's too small or illegible or whatever. I'm not a computer guy and flickr is nowhere near user-friendly. Also I'm not a graphic design guy so I don't care about pretty fonts or perfect layouts.

P.S. Just to give credit where credit is due, that small drawing of Rambo is not by me -- some guy named Juan Carlos Silva drew it and I lifted it off a google search.
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

Things like, animals, names and terrain type really do not need to be on a quick reference screen and should be considered MD's research. Is there anything else that could go in those spaces?
turko
D-Bee

Unread post by turko »

Peacebringer wrote:Things like, animals, names and terrain type really do not need to be on a quick reference screen and should be considered MD's research. Is there anything else that could go in those spaces?

I've had to use animals, names, and terrain on the fly before; it just depends on the type of game you run and how detailed you want to make it beforehand. This screen is based on what I've found useful and how I personally have run my game since I've started playing, so someone else might not care about half the stuff on there.

Still, there probably is something "more important" that could go in those spaces; I'm probably going to put various weapons damage on there somewhere, and move all the "fluff" charts like animals, names, and weather to a third page. I'd like to have some kind of vehicle charts on there somewhere, too, or at the very least some helicopter related stuff.
Peacebringer
Adventurer

In the end, it will be you who will be testing it out; if you find that you are constantly needed to look in the book for something, put it one there; if you are noticing you never once needed to check a table on the screen, remove it. Also, the screen will be customized to your particular gaming-needs.
turko
D-Bee

Unread post by turko »

I mean, I agree with you, Peacebringer... even though I use things like names and animals in my game, there probably is something more relevant to general gameplay that could go on the chart. Do you have any suggestions?
Peacebringer
Adventurer

I cannot give any useful suggestions because I tailor things to my liking. For instance, I love random-tables so I would included a ton of them. I like random fate to decide. I suggest my previous-post; you will learn what you need and not need in time. Considering it MD XP.

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”