Hardcover AtB 2nd Edition - Bonus Edition

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rali
Hero

Hardcover AtB 2nd Edition - Bonus Edition

Unread post by Rali »

So I just found out that Palladium is releasing an Hardcover AtB 2nd Edition book containing "the original AtB sourcebook and Yucatan Adventures".

I'm not sure how I feel that they are including the original material instead of an updated version that's compatible with 2nd Edition. On the one hand it'll be nice to have a hardcover book, but on the other I just don't see the value of adding the old material.

What do you all think?
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: Hardcover AtB 2nd Edition - Bonus Edition

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

It's the ATB RPG, just with added material from books that are not even that compatible. I have all the TMNT sourcebooks and the ATB RPG book already and have no desire to buy the hardcover. But, yeah, updated versions of the books would be preferable to just copying and pasting them into the hradcover in hopes of stirring up interest.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I share the same "What the frak?" At the inclusion in this way.

That said ATB is my favorite game. I've got 4 or 5 copies of the soft cover. This one I might actually go out of pocket to have the hard cover on it. Even with the 'bonus material' being ... strange.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

There is so much from the original AtB game already copied into the new one that including the old book is pointless. I have been trying to decide which of these new hardcovers to splash out on, and had decided that AtB would be one of them, but the inclusion of this doubled up and/or useless information has altered my decision and now I won't be buying it. Shame they didn't just do a basic hardcover, or perhaps add some "official new animal templates!" or something from the Rifter.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

They could have added 30+ pages of color illustrations like they did with the Rifts books. That would have actually made me want to buy it.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:They could have added 30+ pages of color illustrations like they did with the Rifts books. That would have actually made me want to buy it.

That would have been quite an investment for a game that has more-or-less fallen to the side. Including the Yucatan material doesn't really cost then anything.

Soldier of Od wrote:Shame they didn't just do a basic hardcover, or perhaps add some "official new animal templates!" or something from the Rifter.

Looking back at the old Rifter Submission Guidelines, it probably wouldn't have cost them much (if anything) to include that material, which really makes you scratch your head as to why they didn't tap that material.

~Nekira Sudacne
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Palladium retains rights to their cover and art work and what not. It wouldn't cost them anything to include old artwork.

They reuse old artwork all the time.

What they're doing is just bizarre. They're including material they KNOW to be out of date, in a more up to date book.

It's not like they're even redoing an 'old' book, alone. (Like the RMB) they're reprinting a book with newer (Newest) Material for the game... with included, old material that is made useless by the new material.. they're publishing it with.

So for me that's just... *Hand wave* ... Meh.. dumb but.. won't hurt me.

The 'draw' is the Hardcover of the book I love.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

I hope to get the new hardcover even though I do have the other books already. That said, I don't understand the inclusion of those books either, especially the original AtB. Why not Mutants of the Yucatan and Adventures in the Yucatan? Why not things from the Rifter or from Transdimensional Turtles? I don't understand but I hope this book will spark things enough interest to get the older books updated and include what can be included from TMNT.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Yeah, including all the colour covers from the original supplements would have been a nice addition. Doesn't have to be 30+ pages, but just a few to make the hardcover a little different/special. Never mind.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
!REAPER!
D-Bee
Comment: I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

Unread post by !REAPER! »

Is this worth getting if you don't have the physical book already? Or should I just get the regular paperback? I already have the PDF from the Bundle of Holding sale. Thanks for any thoughts anyone has on the matter.
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

!REAPER! wrote:Is this worth getting if you don't have the physical book already? Or should I just get the regular paperback? I already have the PDF from the Bundle of Holding sale. Thanks for any thoughts anyone has on the matter.

It would be a nice item to have if you've been wanting to pick up a physical copy of the book, if just to have a hardcover copy.

~Nekira Sudacne
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

If Palladium spent a quarter of the time and resources into producing new material that they spend on releasing hardcover versions of old books, or special gold edition hardcovers of books, the company might actually progress somewhere. I don't want 6 copies of the same book with different covers. I want new books with different content or the old books updated to include the ridiculous amount of skills/occs/spells that are scattered throughout 30 books.

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”