New

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Your best bet is to grab a copy of the Compendium of Contemporary Weapons published by Palladium Books if you're looking for information already statted out for a game. Despite some of the inconsistencies within the book (7.62mm doing 5D6 damage for one gun and 3D6 for another), there is some useful info on various bullet types. Compare what you want to do versus what is in there. You may find something close.

If you're looking to run a harder, grittier game, I recommend using the optional damage rules in that book as well.

Just be aware that a handful of the guns listed in it never actually saw production (Pancor Jackhammer, Olin/HK CAWS, and AAI CAWS for example).
Mike Taylor

To save you some time, here's some of my own past work. It may or may not be to your tastes, but that's fine with me. I just like showing them off.

NORAD Battlesuit Infantry
Wheelman O.C.C.
Rossum Organitech Combat Walker (Yes, a Systems Failure Mecha)
Mike Taylor

seven wrote:
Yeah i checked out the weapon book, and I didn't like it. I found a book with a listing of every gun/weapon (apc's-jets-ships) made between 1980 and 2000. and one guy has a listing online as well.

I am looking to do a game with a real feel, not to gritty not to fantastic. when I was bringing up the subject to the guys they wanted to know if I would allow MDC and dimention hopping for their rifts people with glitter boys and magic and such... this is already becoming a nightmare.

If they're asking that, they're missing the point. A very loud "Hello NO!" is in order.

since I haven't done any real GMing, just been an assistant so to speak, I am not really sure on how games go and flow. I have a few ideas for adventures lined up but don't know how to execute them in a good manner or have NPC's pop in and out. stuff like that.

Typically, what I do is a build the campaign around the characters that the PCs have made up. I also make sure that they have a full understanding of what this game is about. With the introduction or removal of NPCs, particularly ones that are important to your game, take a look at literary and film techniques, not to mention the role of the NPC. Is this guy the main villain? Don't introduce him in the middle of the PC's first battle. Have them confront his grunts and lieutenants first. The bad guy generally doesn't die until the last reel. Is the NPC a friend of one or more of the characters? What does the NPC do? Where does he live? Does he adventure? If so, why? If not, why?

Try to stay away from certain rote stereotypes of role-playing games.

"You all meet in a bar," while sometimes appropriate to this game, has been done to death since RPGs were played with paper chits instead of dice.

"Nobody knows his past," is cop-out, especially for PC's. PCs and major NPCs NEED a history. Even if the other characters never learn that history, it provides adventure hooks for the GM. If the player can't think up a history for his character after rolling him up, that's okay. Ideas may suggest themselves during role-playing and the character and GM need to jot them down.

"His parents were killed..." again, while sometimes appropriate to this game, this is all too often a cop-out by the player. For an NPC, this is fine and probably a very common background trait.

Try to divide NPCs into three groups.

1. The scrubs/mooks/puds... these are the low-level (many times no-level) characters the PCs meet. They have no purpose other than to obstruct the characters and can be killed without affecting the game. Typically, they'll have no more than 2 or 3 attacks per melee. This can also be unimportant friendlies like a local farmer, a schoolteacher, a little kid, and so on.

2. This second level is characters that are more powerful and challenging to the PCs. They are typically within the same level of skill as the PCs and can represent a rival, an old friend, and so on. While more detailed, these characters still aren't central to the campaign and can be killed with little effect on it.

3. These characters represent IMPORTANT NPC allies and enemies.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

Mike Taylor wrote:Your best bet is to grab a copy of the Compendium of Contemporary Weapons published by Palladium Books if you're looking for information already statted out for a game. Despite some of the inconsistencies within the book (7.62mm doing 5D6 damage for one gun and 3D6 for another), there is some useful info on various bullet types. Compare what you want to do versus what is in there. You may find something close.

If you're looking to run a harder, grittier game, I recommend using the optional damage rules in that book as well.

Just be aware that a handful of the guns listed in it never actually saw production (Pancor Jackhammer, Olin/HK CAWS, and AAI CAWS for example).

Actually the differences in damage is due to the difference in the size of the round. 7.62mm x 51 and 7.62mm x39 are different in size and weight. That's why the damage is different :)
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Mike Taylor

Sorry, I actually meant to type 5.56mm when I was composing that post.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

GreenGhost wrote:Actually the differences in damage is due to the difference in the size of the round. 7.62mm x 51 and 7.62mm x39 are different in size and weight. That's why the damage is different :)

More importantly, they are different in velocietiesby about 100 meters per second - resulting in signifigant differences in nergy.

However, i do think the 5.56 got shafted. Most rifle rounds did, when a .45 ACP does 4D6, I can't see most modern intermediate (ie 5.56, 7.62 Soviet and 5.45 mm soviet) doin less than 4D6 and probably more. High powered rifle ammunition should be doing at least half again.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Systems Failure™”