Thank you System Failure

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Thank you System Failure

Unread post by Glistam »

I originally bought Splicers because I liked the idea of organic technology, and was hoping to be able to incorporate it into my games. However, the bio-tech in that game didn't seem to work very well conceptually outside of that setting. I was dismayed for a while, then I heard something about System Failure having some bio-tech. I didn't have the book yet, since when I heard of the idea behind this game (Y2K 'bugs?' *groan*) I was less than excited about picking it up. I mean, in how many different settings must "bugs" be some kind of alien villian/invader? But considering it really wasn't that expensive a game I figured it was time to pick it up and give it a shot.

After flipping through the book quickly I am honestly impressed. Not only does the bio-tech in this book seems like it'll fit my megaversal needs much better than Splicers' but also that it seems like a very decent game as well. It's won me over as something more than just a gimmic based on a play on words from the Y2K scare. I think this'll make a great addition to my palladium collection and I'm sorry I didn't buy it sooner. Eventaully I'll read through the entire thing instead of just skimming, but so far I am not disappointed in this book, and just by having the organic tech in it that I feel I can use it has already surpassed my expectations.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Systems Failure is one of those games that nobody seems to notice when it comes out, but learns to appreciate when they finally get a copy. Mine was an add-on to the Robotech books I bought on clearance from Pally in 2001.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

Like much of Bill Coffin's work, Systems Failure really shines. I wish it could have generated the interest it deserved and forced Palladium into providing greater support for it.

A great game - one of Palladium's best. :-D
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

maasenstodt wrote:Like much of Bill Coffin's work, Systems Failure really shines. I wish it could have generated the interest it deserved and forced Palladium into providing greater support for it.

Say whaaaaat?

I was meant from the get go to be a one shot game. Period.

~ Josh[/i]
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
maasenstodt wrote:Like much of Bill Coffin's work, Systems Failure really shines. I wish it could have generated the interest it deserved and forced Palladium into providing greater support for it.

Say whaaaaat?

~ Josh

I'll tell you whaaaaat! :P

It's common knowledge that Systems Failure was conceived as a stand alone. Many would contend, however, that the concept is strong enough to merit more than that. Had sales of the game been as terrific as its quality, the demand might have compelled Kevin to reconsider his initial stance. Heck, Bill had even suggested interest in writing a sourcebook for Systems Failure at one point, so it was never beyond the realm of possibility.

It's just too bad that it didn't happen, that's all. :ugh:
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:

Say whaaaaat?

~ Josh[/i]

People keep saying that, but they apparently never paid attention to the coming soon page in the Rifter...
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:

Say whaaaaat?

~ Josh[/i]

People keep saying that, but they apparently never paid attention to the coming soon page in the Rifter...

Well, I think they just stopped paying attention when Coffin went bye bye. Or was someone else supposed to be in place to write the second book?
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Mike Taylor

Marrowlight wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:

Say whaaaaat?

~ Josh[/i]

Well, I think they just stopped paying attention when Coffin went bye bye. Or was someone else supposed to be in place to write the second book?

There was official material by Bill in The Rifter #8. That was it. The book really didn't sell enough copies to warrant a new book anyway. It sold less than Ninjas & Superspies, if I recall correctly.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Marrowlight wrote:Well, I think they just stopped paying attention when Coffin went bye bye. Or was someone else supposed to be in place to write the second book?

Bill Coffin was the designated writer, and presumably his departure and other factors were what doomed the book. From the blurb:

Due to popular demand, at least one adventure-sourcebook for Systems Failure™ by Bill Coffin! Although originally intended as a one-shot stand alone game, gamers are begging us for more. This deliciously fun, new RPG is the talk of the town and selling like crazy! The adventure-sourcebook will probably be an inexpensive and small 64-112 pager.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Yes, Systems failure was a very decent game. You had the whole world near destruction, yet dispite it all, didn't feel helpless. The game won on many levels.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Mike Taylor

SF Organitech is not unbalancing in the Rifts environment, though I do recommend halving the damage capacity of the Battlesuits before converting it over to mega-damage. On the other hand, the similar technology from Splicers is way too powerful.
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

SF is one of the best one-shot/mini-campaign games I've ever played. We've played it about 10 times or so, and each time it worked so well as a small, single-evening event.

Good times, good times.

................................................Omote
FPQ
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

I bought it, read it, liked it - and (so far) never played it. I would have, if there would have been more material for the game though. I know it was planned as a one-shot, but I always thought Palladium is making a big mistake by concentrating on RIFTS RIFTS RIFTS. And now with no book for Palladium Fantasy in AGES the situation is even worse. Nightbane, BTS, Splicers, N&S, RECON...no progress whatssoever...uggh. Now I am depressed. Not that this will be read by anyone in months! :D
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
jcfiala
D-Bee

Unread post by jcfiala »

I picked up a copy of Systems Failure in part of my big order for the 'Crisis' recently, and I'm very impressed with it.

A) The layout seems more straightforward than most games. Character creation seemed to be very easy to follow along with.

B) The wacky fonts for the headings made it easier to see where things started and stopped.

C) Interesting horrific bad guys who are still capable of being beat.

D) 13 Bucks. You could afford to buy a second copy and hand it out during character creation. :)

Definately on my list of games to try and run at a con sometime.
-----
John Fiala
Will Run Conventions for Food
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

System Failure is a great book. I've never played it as a stand alone, but I have fully integrated it into my HU campaign. A few bugs testing the waters and a company using samples to make biotech chimeras. Most of the basic human character classes have made their way into all of my games.

I would love to see a sourcebook, or even a new Rifter article or three to add to it. The problem is sales. I think it would work well as Rifter articles, but not as a sourcebook. Whatever the sales for the mainbook were, the sourcebook will be less. Like Splicers, it just doesn't have enough umph on its own to warrant the expense. This is especially true with the problems PB has been having.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Mike Taylor

U.S.Advanced Recon wrote:Hey I know the feeling, but the coolest thing about systems failure is you are not limited.

Very true. You can go as wild as you want and not have to worry about someone screaming about how it contradicts canon.
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

RockJock wrote:System Failure is a great book. I've never played it as a stand alone, but I have fully integrated it into my HU campaign. A few bugs testing the waters and a company using samples to make biotech chimeras. Most of the basic human character classes have made their way into all of my games.

I would love to see a sourcebook, or even a new Rifter article or three to add to it. The problem is sales. I think it would work well as Rifter articles, but not as a sourcebook. Whatever the sales for the mainbook were, the sourcebook will be less. Like Splicers, it just doesn't have enough umph on its own to warrant the expense. This is especially true with the problems PB has been having.

Likewise, I've never played SF by itself, but I did port the bugs into HU. My favorite part was when the heroes captured one and made a big deal of imprisoning it in an electrical access free glass cage. Then they left, and came back to find the glass broken. Oops!
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

uhm...the game's not even in the online catalog anymore...how come? :-(
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Vidynn wrote:uhm...the game's not even in the online catalog anymore...how come? :-(
I sent an email to the Palladium Staff about this.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I have been informed that the book Systems Failure is now out of print.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

glad I got my copy...chances of a reprint seem minimal...

RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I've seen a couple of copies popping in and out of Half Priced Books. I've actually used Splicers several times in the last year as one off games for when I had an odd group of players. My regular players have made stylized versions of themselves ( I know, I know I hate the idea), plus I have a few generic pre-made characters for newbies. If I have time I'll set them up with custom characters. It is a nice diversion, and a basic game that most people new to role playing, or Palladium can pick up easily, and quickly.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

I'm looking forward to combining System Failure with Dead Reign. The O.C.C.s from System Failure should work perfectly in a Zombie apocalypse.
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

Kelorin wrote:I'm looking forward to combining System Failure with Dead Reign. The O.C.C.s from System Failure should work perfectly in a Zombie apocalypse.

Yeah, me too. When I saw Dead Reign in Rifter #40, I dug out my SF book and re-read it. Can't wait to spring it on my gamers.

Big Bob................... :D
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

CommanderT1 wrote:turns out I liked SF better then the other books I was trying to get.

I love when stuff like that happens.

:)

~ Josh
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:I have been informed that the book Systems Failure is now out of print.

Sad to hear that. It is an excellent game. I GM'ed twice and used info from it several times. Hope someday it will make a come back. :D
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

maasenstodt wrote:It's common knowledge that Systems Failure was conceived as a stand alone. Many would contend, however, that the concept is strong enough to merit more than that. Had sales of the game been as terrific as its quality, the demand might have compelled Kevin to reconsider his initial stance. Heck, Bill had even suggested interest in writing a sourcebook for Systems Failure at one point, so it was never beyond the realm of possibility.

It was a bit farther than that even. IIRC Bill had some detailed notes compiled on what else he wanted to do with the setting.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Lantis
Wanderer

Unread post by Lantis »

Ahem... there was also a nice article in Rifter 12....
Knight of the Grand Order
Really REALLY misses Billy-Bob

"Cookies without milk is blasphemy"
"Warm soda and cold pizza.... breakfast of champions!"

"It's never this easy... in a Role Playing Game!"
- Fuu Hououji, Magic Knight Rayearth
Lantis
Wanderer

Unread post by Lantis »

Hmm... dare I come out of my years long retirement from Palladiums to pick up Rifter 38?

Lantis
Wanderer

Unread post by Lantis »

I special ordered 38 from my FLGS. I might have to get 19, if you guys think it is worth it.

Lantis
Wanderer

Unread post by Lantis »

I wouldn't say I'm back, per se, but I am feeling the nostalgia pangs.

Lantis
Wanderer

Unread post by Lantis »

Well, that would help me with the kielbasa I had earlier

zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

Phalanx wrote:
Lantis wrote:Ahem... there was also a nice article in Rifter 12....

And Rifter 38. ;)

Don't forget the articles in Rifters 8, 19.
Oh, we can't forget that odd "Flea" thingamajig article in #26... :wink: :D
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget

Return to “Systems Failure™”