Just got the book

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Richter
Megaversal® Ambassador

Just got the book

Unread post by Richter »

Just got my copy of SF in from my local game store.

What a great written simply game it is!

A classic story, with a new twist, and simple rules, I love it.

If I have any complaint at all, its the skill program rules can often make you "lose" alot of skills if ya pick anything that overlaps, but otherwise, I like it alot.

Since its a very simple game and mostly, compared to alot of other game titles a "hack and slash" game with apocolypse undertones, Im letting my roomate run a game (hes been wanting to try running a game for a while and hes a big survivialist/I'll be ready for the apoc" kinda guy, so this is just for him)

So since the forums are so slow here, I'll be happy to post random info/progress on the game here, and i'l be reading thru all this looking for ideas and other cool stuff.

This game needs to stay alive, its too good to let die.

Also, anyone have the problem I did in reference to the skill packages?
Doing things the right way, the Coalition Way, since 1998...

-Richter
Richter
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Richter »

How do you handle multiple HTH's?

Like the guy I made last night, has the military basic program, so he gets HtH Basic.

Then he has Espionage package, so now he knows Martial Arts

I gave him HtH assassin, costing 1 open skill point.

So I should have 1 open for military and 1 for espionage, or a 15% bonus to a skil in military or espionage then?

Just wanna make sure I got these rules down before I pass the idea on to the gm

Thanks!

-Richter
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

I think you will find System Failure is a very fun game. My group has had a blast playing it.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Bill's all but left role-playing behind. His current job and raising a family have pretty much killed time to game, let alone write RPG books.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Richter wrote:How do you handle multiple HTH's?

Like the guy I made last night, has the military basic program, so he gets HtH Basic.

Then he has Espionage package, so now he knows Martial Arts

I gave him HtH assassin, costing 1 open skill point.

So I should have 1 open for military and 1 for espionage, or a 15% bonus to a skil in military or espionage then?

Just wanna make sure I got these rules down before I pass the idea on to the gm

Thanks!

When a HTH skill is "upgraded" you use the skill it was "upgraded" too only. So the guy would use the stats from Assasin only.
Now it's been a while since I looked it over but if the programs say "select one military of choice" or something like that then that's what they get. However providing a skill at +15% instead of taking a "skill of choice" don't sound like a bad idea.
Richter
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Richter »

Dustin,

Yeah, no worries on that, I wasnt trying to stack HtH's or nothing.

My problem was all the "skills" I was losing due to my choices.

IE: I'd have alot less skills than characters who made other choices, simply because of repeating abilities. Made it hard to customize the character.

I made a survivialist.

He has military so he has HTH basic.
I took espionage as my open package, so I get martial arts.
It also comes with wilderness survival.
Survivialists get wildnerness survival package, so I lost a skill there too.
Then I spent 1 of my 5 open points to buy assassin since they arn't combat restricted.

So I lost 3 (or 4 depending on how ya wanna look at it) skills because of my choices, it just wasn't sitting well with me is all.

-Richter
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Gotcha.

You may want to scroll down a few and check out Mike Taylor's "NORAD Battlesuit Infantry" and "Wheelman" OCC's as well.

I think Rifter #4(?) and Rifter #19 have some additional material for Systems Failure as well. You might want to check those out too.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Welcome aboard Star Dust!!

Thats a real shame, because I feel that Systems Failure is Palls best effort at a game. I've had more fun with this one game than any of their game all together.

I'd suggest hunting around for another group of people and giving it another bash.

8]
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Star Dust wrote:i'm pretty new to the forums but not to the games. I didn't know that SF really went any where after it came out my ex-husband got the book when it came out and ran a game i myself loved the game but every one i gamed with said it was lame so i only got to play one game witch really sucks

My guess is that these folks aren't big Bruce Campbell fans, either. To me, the game is like role-playing one of those straight-to-video B-movie sci-fi flicks. At first I thought it was dumb, too. But then I realized that it was supposed to be goofy and took it from there.

Return to “Systems Failure™”