Wheelman O.C.C.

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mike Taylor

Wheelman O.C.C.

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Wheelman O.C.C.

Long ago, the roads and highways of America and the rest of the world were relatively safe. People and goods traveled freely from one end of the country to the other without fear of attacks from wandering Splatterpunks or hungry insect aliens from another dimension. After the Meltdown, travel, especially long distance cross-country runs, became
very dangerous. The main roads became the province of wandering gangs of the newly emerged Splatterpunks. It was into this environment that the Post-Meltdown Wheelman was born.

The first Wheelmen were hot rodders, bootleggers, truckers, race car drivers, and state patrolmen. Over time, these men and women started to come together and share their expertise with one another, passing these skills on to the generation coming up behind them. These disparate backgrounds are reflected in the different careers Wheelmen choose, but they all have a couple of things in common with one another-- their love of their machines and their courage.

The Wheelman’s best friend is his Ride, an automobile that he has become so familiar with that it almost borders on obsession. Whether he’s a white hat lawman or a backstabbing scumbag bandit, his Ride is his whole world. Its not uncommon for a Wheelman to talk to his vehicle like it was a faithful dog or best friend. In fact, many romantic relationships have been ruined because a Wheelman spent more time with his vehicle than with his spouse. In a few extreme cases, Wheelmen have given up their careers or committed suicide after losing their Ride. Most, however, will go through a period of mourning, typically a year, before looking for a new Ride. During this time, the mourner is considered off-limits by even the bitterest Wheelman enemy. Not even Miscreant or Diabolic Wheelmen will lift a finger against them. Once he’s back in the driver’s seat, which is usually announced by a wild celebration, he’s fair game again.

The courage of a Wheelman is widely known. One has to be brave to face the dangers of the road ahead. However, most are not fools and will avoid needlessly endangering their vehicles, themselves, and in some cases, their passengers and cargo. However, if their Ride or their passengers are in danger, they will fight to the fullest to protect both. It’s a point of pride for a Wheelman to get his charges to their destination safely. Wheelmen who regularly lose passengers and cargo get a reputation as a “black cat” and find often find work hard to come by. Of course, many of the more despicable Wheelmen will find a way to twist the definition of a “safe” arrival.

Wheelman O.C.C.
Alignment: Any
Attribute Requirements: Good reflexes (P.P. 9 or higher), plus good P.E. and M.E. (9 or higher). A high I.Q. is also helpful but not required.
Base S.D.C.: 35
Special Abilities and Bonuses:
1. Defensive Driving: +1 to initiative and +1 to dodge while driving. The Wheelman gains an additional +1 to dodge at levels 3, 7, and 15.

2. Choice Ride: Every Wheelman has a “Choice Ride”, a favorite vehicle that they have come to know inside and out. The Wheelman knows exactly how it will respond in a given situation and how hard he can push it. This familiarity with their vehicle’s handling gives them an additional +2 to dodge as well as a +10% bonus to Pilot Automobile and
Automotive Mechanics as those skills pertain to their Choice Rides. These bonuses apply only to operating one very specific vehicle. Even the same make & model will not get these bonuses. As most become attached to their Rides, this isn’t really a problem.

If the Wheelman loses his Ride due to combat, an accident, theft, or simple age (cars do eventually wear out), he temporarily loses his Choice Ride bonuses until he has spent six months to a year (1D6+6) with a new vehicle, familiarizing himself with it. Then, of course, its party time!

O.C.C. Skill Programs: All Wheelmen, regardless of their career path, get the Pilot, Basic Program (must be all ground vehicles) +20% as well as the following skills: Automotive Mechanics (+10%), Basic Mechanics (+10%), Basic Electronics (+10%), plus one Modern W.P. and Land Navigation (+15%)

The Wheelman may also select ONE of the following careers:

1. Freewheeler: Freewheelers are wandering bohemians. They travel as the mood hits them. Select one of the following skill programs: Domestic, Technical, or Wilderness Survival
2. Long Hauler: Long Haulers are the stereotypical trucker types. +1D6 to P.E., +2D6 to S.D.C., and +10% to Land Navigation
3. NORAD Wheelman: Military Basic Program
4. Peacekeeper Wheelman: Police/Law Enforcement Program
5. Splatterpunk Wheelman: Professional Thief Program

O.C.C. Related Skills: Select five skills from the following categories:
Communications: Radio: Basic only (+5%)
Domestic: Any
Electrical: Computer Repair only
Espionage: Wilderness Survival only
Mechanical: Locksmith only
Medical: First Aid only
Military: Armorer (Field), Camouflage, Find Contraband & Illegal Weapons
Physical: Any, except Acrobatics or Gymnastics. Hand-to-hand: Expert counts as TWO skills and Hand-to-hand Martial Arts (or Assassin, if evil) counts as THREE.
Pilot, Basic: Any (+10%)
Pilot, Advanced: Any ground vehicle (+10%)
Pilot Related: Any (+10%)
Rogue: Any, except Computer Hacking
Science: Basic Math only
Technical: Any
W.P. Ancient: Any
W.P. Modern: Any

Secondary Skills: None to start with, but the Wheelman may select one at levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, and 15.

Standard Equipment: Personal equipment will include a conventional firearm of choice with 1000 rounds of extra ammunition. Wheelmen tend towards guns they easily access while driving, such as pistols, sub-machine guns, and sawed-off shotguns. Additionally, they will have a toolkit for making on the spot repairs, $2D4x100 in spare parts for their Ride, backpack or dufflebag, flashlight, and $1D6x100 in personal gear.

Their Ride will typically reflect the nature of its owner. Long Haulers tend towards the larger vans and trucks. Peacekeeper Wheelmen will usually have tricked out police cruisers and pursuit vehicles. The NORAD ones typically drive Hummers, Gun Buggies, or whatever their current assignment has them driving. Freewheelers and Splatterpunk Wheelmen can be encountered driving just about anything smaller than a tractor trailer, but you can bet that its been modified in all the right places to do exactly what its owner wants it to. Exactly what modifications have been done to the Wheelman’s vehicle should be worked out between the player. Another thing to consider is that most Wheelmen will avoid super exotics like Lamborghinis and Ferraris, both because parts are harder to come by and because they tend to be big bullseyes for Splatterpunk gangs.

Money: Typically $1D4x100 in tradable goods or precious metals. Even though they can command respectable fees, most usually put the bulk of what they earn back into their vehicles and spend the rest as the opportunity presents itself. NORAD types get a monthly stipend of $100 as most of their needs , including vehicle maintenance, are taken care of.

The Upside: If anybody can get from Point A to Point B, its you. You know all the highways and backroads like the back of your hand and if push comes to shove, you and your Ride can outrun or outmaneuver any trouble encountered along the way.

The Downside: Fuel and parts can be very difficult to come by, and sometimes the only way to get either is to take them from some other scrub by force. Sometimes, that other scrub is you. Then there’s the fact that many people don’t get the special connection you have with your vehicle.

Experience Point Table for Wheelmen: Same as the Exterminator O.C.C. (p.p. 85 of Systems Failure).
Last edited by Mike Taylor on Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyCo
Hero

Re: Wheelman O.C.C.

Unread post by CyCo »

Cool. How are you approching it?? Are you using an existing OCC as a base??? Like the Road Sentinal or Roadganger from Rifts:Australia??
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Mike Taylor

Not directly, as I don't own those books. I am approaching the O.C.C. from the point of view of how it might evolve here in the states, though there will be a nod to the Mad Max flicks, as would be expected in this kind of setting.
Mike Taylor

No, I haven't. I'd probably be interested in taking a peek at it once my own is done.
Mike Taylor

Almost done with it. I hope to have it posted by the end of the week.
Mike Taylor

And there it is! Right at the top for your reading pleasure.
LJ
Explorer
Comment: A few household chemicals in the proper proportions.

Unread post by LJ »

I'ld probably end up as a freewheeler or longhauler or something....
ECHO Member
Champion of the 2004 Megaversal Deathmatch
He Who Must Not Be Combed
"Poison Clan rocks the world!!"
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

Very nicely put together. Throw in those tricked out vehicles rules from Road Hogs and you're good to go. Damn, all these nice SF ideas make me want to play a game or two. Mike, you should really run a game at Origins if you're going. :D
Insert 400 character limit here.
Mike Taylor

Todd Yoho wrote:Very nicely put together. Throw in those tricked out vehicles rules from Road Hogs and you're good to go. Damn, all these nice SF ideas make me want to play a game or two. Mike, you should really run a game at Origins if you're going. :D

Not likely. Gotta draw blood from a turnip and pay the IRS man.
Mike Taylor

The flavor text still isn't quite how I like it. There's more Wheelman subculture ideas I'd like to develop and explore.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

This is cool!!!

As a professional driver, this appeals to me. As a car lover, it's even better!!! Now if only I can find a nice Ride... (and I may have one in several weeks...)

8)
Eureka!
Mike Taylor

CyCo wrote:This is cool!!!

As a professional driver, this appeals to me. As a car lover, it's even better!!! Now if only I can find a nice Ride... (and I may have one in several weeks...)

8)

Not bad for somebody (me) who doesn't know squat about automobiles, huh? Now what would an Aussie consider to be a "choice ride"? I know you have at least a handful of domestic cars and trucks that we Yanks never see.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Well, I assume that you mean local made cars. We have a whole bevvy of cars on our local scene that are 'choice rides' that are from overseas. The whole range of American Muscle cars have a huge following down under, as well as a fair sized following of what we term "Yank Tanks", ie, the more luxury vehicles/models, like the Caddies and Lincons. Mind you, most American cars get called "Yank Tanks' here, because they're so bloody huge!

We also have a strong following of Brittish/UK/Europian cars, MGs, Rovers, Jensens, Jaguars, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Fiat, Peugeot, Audi, Lotus, Triumph, Alfa, VW, Aston.... I could go on an on with these cars, there are plenty more I could list.

But as I said, I assume you were more looking for "Local Blood".

I'll dig up some links, hopefully I won't have to go into specifics, as these sites will have the info.... *crosses fingers*

Ford Falcon GT, the more popular (and more powerful version), the GTHO Phase III being the one of choice.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/ne ... 09_for.htm

This link has some info on the history of the Falcon GT, including the newest model in the stable (hopefully later this year..)

Valiant VF-VH Pacer. Valiant was Chrylser's face here Down Under many years ago. One of the models Valiant put out was the Pacer.

http://groups.msn.com/GlennsValiantPace ... rket=en-au

Though by far, the Charger was by far, much more a road beast.

http://www.valiantcharger.netfirms.com/ ... ectory.htm

The Holden HQ, especially the Premier were and are a common car to see 'streeted' up for a cruz'.

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/ca ... den_hq.htm

But the Holden Monaro was the muscle car of choice for many (true also for the Falcon GTHO Phase III).. [ oh yeah, we're flogging the new Monaro to the US as the latest Pontiac!! :)~ ]

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/ca ... monaro.htm

and the new Monaro...

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/act ... elid=12001

And the Monaro/Pontiac ... :)~

http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/CarSho ... carsP4.htm

The Holden Statesman has been with us for years. The Statesman is the flagship vehicle for GMH, these days displaying plenty of cowhide, chrome and hi-teck gizmos....

The latest model..

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/act ... delid=7000

and one of the older girls ..

http://members.fortunecity.com/sprovis/mycar/mycar.html

The Layland P76 is a forgotten muscle car. It was a smaller car, but was still optioned for a V8. I've seen these things haul serious ass!!! These were an Australian made car by the Austin/Rover car company. Usually driven by those motorheads who want something different, and still have a serious street machine.

http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?p7682indexf.htm

And I can't forget the Holden Torana, mainly the XU-1 and the SLR 5000, and GTR varients for both could be had.

XU-1

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/ca ... tr_xu1.htm

SLR 5000

http://gmh-torana.imagineering.net.au/torana_lx.shtml

And one last...

The Holden Sandman. This was an Iconic car an Australian automotive history, been huge with the surf crowd.

http://www.holdensandman.com/gallery.htm

~~~~~~~~~

I'll add in another. I wouldn't add in this as a 'choice ride', though it most certainly is a great car. Mainly because there are not many around....

Not many people now about these cars at the moment, but there is a company up in Queensland that are hand building cars, well a car, that is to say one model. But what a model!! They only make 25 a year, so it's all about exclusivity.

Bullet.

www.bulletcars.com
Eureka!
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Oh, and the Black Interceptor in Mad Max???

It started out as a 1973 XB GT Ford Falcon Coupe, a car exclusive to Australia.

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/interc ... tory1.html
Eureka!
Mike Taylor

Man, those are some sweet cars. I know that the Interceptor sould scare the crap outta me. Sandman looks like an Aussie version of our El Caminos and Rancheros.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Yeah, there are quite a few sweet rides Down Under, even in my local area.

And there is quite alot of cars in Australia that borrow styling from the States and elsewhere...

And I don't know how I managed to do it, but I forgot to list the Holden Commodore in that list.

It's been onsale since the about '79, and still going strong. While the Statesman may be the flagship for Holden, this is what Holden make their bread & butter with. It's their main car.

http://www.users.on.net/nweber/commodore/

And also there was in the '70 and '80, the Holden Gemini. The Gemmi was a bastard child of Holden and Isusu, the truck manufacturer (go figure). As a result, there were a number of Gemmi's that had as an option, a diesel donk under the hood. The Gemini were used in racing, from the blacktop to the dirt. Plenty were street modded, and infact still are. There were plenty of people who dissed the little bastard car, but it will maintain a place in Australian Automotive history.

http://www.hotgemini.com/cgi-bin/galler ... &order=dad

http://mcs.une.edu.au/~ashley/gemini/
Eureka!
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Something else to make you drool...

http://www.summernats.com.au/live/live_photo1.html

The SummerNats are held each year, and have been for the last 17 years. Its a weekend of hot cars, hot girls, petrol, burning rubber, and the heady scent of hi-octane on some of the top performers.

In short, a gethering of revheads!!! 8)
Eureka!
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Unread post by Adam of the Old Kingdom »

Seen any Spycraft Mike?
Munchkin Cat Minion
Mike Taylor

Adam of the Old Kingdom wrote:Seen any Spycraft Mike?

Somebody showed me the Spycraft Wheelman class a while ago. I think it was Aerv. But I don't own Spycraft or any d20 product.
Mike Taylor

Hey CyCo and Adam, let's see some game stats for your favorite Aussie rides. Maybe even a hot rod custom "Interceptor". Or maybe a conversion of one of the infamous Australian Road Trains.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Mike Taylor wrote:Hey CyCo and Adam, let's see some game stats for your favorite Aussie rides. Maybe even a hot rod custom "Interceptor". Or maybe a conversion of one of the infamous Australian Road Trains.

Hmmm... after reading the thread about the Organitech Mecha and now this.... I have a slight idea forming......

Maybe I should work on it, maybe getting Adam to give me a hand.....
Eureka!
Mike Taylor

ANy word on things, Cyco?
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Um, not at the moment... Would you believe I don't actually have a copy of SF?

:)

But I have ordered one throught the FLGS.

I have a vague idea of a loose affiliation of truckers/small towns & truckstops. With some hangers on.

Australia was developed on the truckers (and sheep) backs. I feel it only natural to have the brotherhood of truckers live on in SF.

;)
Eureka!
Mike Taylor

Cool, could you imagine what the remains of the Australian Armed Forces could do to a Road Train? The mods on that could be really scary.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Yeah, that would be cool....

Hmmm......

Oh, and I'll do any vehicle stats as per Road Hogs construction rules.

;)
Eureka!
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Well, I havn't actually started anything yet, but I do have a copy of SF now... ;)

Oh, Mike, do you have your O.C.C's and stuff up online anywhere??
Eureka!
Mike Taylor

Deific NMI has some of my stuff.

(DEAD LINK REMOVED BY THREAD AUTHOR.)

Click the Systems Failure link and have a look around.
Last edited by Mike Taylor on Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Thanks Mike.

I'm running out of time tonite, I'll have to look around there later.

8)
Eureka!
Mike Taylor

You are very welcome, Cyco.
Mike Taylor

Doctor Hellion.... now THAT sounds like a badass Wheelman. Anyway, welcome to the board. How is the gaming scene in the land of the Danes?
Mike Taylor

Mostly dominated by d20 and WW players, though there are plenty of other rulesets to go around. Yeah, gaming elitism exists here as well. I got away from the White Wolf stuff for that very reason. Nothing against the publishers, mind you, they do some great work. I just didn't like dealing with the snobbery that seemed so common to many of their players.

Nightbane is an excellent setting. It's a pity that things seem to go against books coming out for that line. However, if you like CJ Carella's stuff, he has gone on to do work for Eden Studios.
Mike Taylor

Thank you, I put a lot of thought into that class.
Mike Taylor

Sorry that I didn't reply sooner. I agree that some character classes, especially fan created ones, can get WAY out of hand. I'm actually playtesting another O.C.C. right now, which I am finding out actually needs to be BEEFED up.
Mike Taylor

Anyone want to give this one a second look, even if you're not using it for Systems Failure? Most all of the other modern and sci-fi RPGs on this board could work with it. And I don't want to see the thread disappear after the year rolls over.
Mike Taylor

Bumped again to save it from the ravages of REG. Any more commentary from the new guys?

Return to “Systems Failure™”