Being a team player

Welcome to the Palladium Books destination for all things Savage Rifts™. Please keep conversions to items, people, etc found in the various Rifts books and/or Savage Rifts books.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

srwight
Newb

Being a team player

Unread post by srwight »

So, I'm a Robot Armor Jock MARS character.

I've struggled to find a balance with my character, since 90% of my abilities will destroy my party members, too. (If I throw a missile where my party is, I'm very likely to kill one of them.) If I don't start early, I'm not going to do damage. If I *do* start early, I can trivialize encounters.

I've started getting better at that while in the armor. I use suppressive fire, I fire the laser cannon rather than missiles, and I delay after saying "Artillery online, call it when you need it."

But tonight, I was out of my armor. All I had was my laser rifle and my technowizard-upgraded laser pistol. So I thought I'd be cool to go all out. My shooting die is a d10+2 (targeting eye), laser rifle is 3d6+2.

Instead:
Spoiler:
Well, the GM drops a terrifying thing on the board. We roll fear at -2. I have to spend a bennie on extra effort to get over the hump. Then on its turn, it does terrifying magic stuff. (It...um...dominated? wrong system but anyway...our dragon hatchling. But I had no way to know that.)

One of the cyberknights moves up, but doesn't get to attack. (That must've been before its turn.) The other one gets around behind it and ends up making it use both of its bennies.

I shoot at a mook. "Let's see if these things take non-MDC damage." I miss.

Then the mystic throws boost (shooting) and smite (holy) on me. Now I'm d12+5 for 3d6+14. It's bigger than me, so d12+7.

I play the "Burst of Adrenaline" card. I do NOT want this thing to get another turn.

My actions: Called shot to the head (-4), Rapid Attack / Fan the Hammer (-4). I'm now rolling d12-1 to get a 4.

I hit 5 out of 6 times. Twice with a raise. I only managed to get past toughness once, so I shake him. No bennies.

Next round? Ace of Hearts, high card.

Repeat.

This time, I hit four times, one with a raise. I beat toughness with every single one, and I kill him.

So, in one round and an action, we've taken the biggest threat off the board. One player didn't get to act at all.

I like being powerful. And I'm fully aware that the kill was not all mine. Heck, it belongs to the Mystic more than anyone! Although if the cyberknight hadn't soaked up all of the guy's bennies, then I'd've gotten them. This was a team effort. But it didn't feel like a team effort. It felt like Nigel going Nova again. And I felt like a heel.

What can I do differently to be a team player? That thing seemed dangerous. It needed to get gone. I think it would've killed one of us. In fact, from the way the GM described it, I'm almost positive one or more of us would've died. Removing it from the table was a good call. But I still feel kinda bad for it.

I expect this to be a long-term campaign. I really enjoy playing with these folks. I'm also very new to the system. My system mastery of Pathfinder is high. My SW (and SR) mastery is quite low. I'm not sure I know how to be effective without being a spotlight hog. I would appreciate some help.
dreicunan
Hero

Re: Being a team player

Unread post by dreicunan »

Has anyone actually complained? As you said, the mystic did more to make that happen than you did. Not every member of a team has the same role, nor the same amount of time in the spotlight all the time.

But if you'd rather not be the most effective team member that you can be and let someone get killed, try that next time and see how your (surviving) teammates feel about your performance. ;-)

In seriousness, based on what you have said this is not a player issue. If other players never get a chance to shine despite you holding back when in your armor, then I suspect that either the GM is not thinking about giving others a chance to shine or players are not seizing initiative.

If I were in your party and you were constantly avoiding ending fights quickly and thus putting the rest of us in greater danger, I'd be on your case about THAT.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Freemage
Explorer

Unread post by Freemage »

1: You say you realize mechanically that this was a team effort. My first bit of advice is to emphasize this to the rest of your party, both in and out of character. Praising your comrades' very real contributions to setting up the kill-shot will help them be cool with you being The Closer.

2: If the party as a whole is new-ish to Savage Worlds, and even specifically to Savage Rifts, give the GM some time to get the balance right. It sounds like the fight featured one strong Wild Card and some mooks; that is typical for other systems, but very often leads to a short fight in Savage Worlds. Let's see... Robo Pilot, two C-Ks, a dragon and a mystic? I'd say there should be 2-3 Wild Card enemies AND a handful of mooks against you, in most cases.

3: Had you guys already soaked your GM's personal benny stash? Because he should have had at least 5-6 more bennies (it's unclear if the 'player who didn't act' was the Dragon or another, unnamed PC). Or was this just so early in the night the GM didn't want to pump more resources into keeping him up and running?

4: Even with all that, luck played a decent role in this encounter. Particularly, you getting both the Adrenaline Rush and the Ace of Hearts. Picture how it would've turned out if your card had been Backstab and you had drawn a 6 of Clubs....

Small query, unrelated to the above:

But tonight, I was out of my armor. All I had was my laser rifle and my technowizard-upgraded laser pistol. So I thought I'd be cool to go all out. My shooting die is a d10+2 (targeting eye), laser rifle is 3d6+2.

This suggests that you're a robot pilot with an Arcane Background AND a cybernetic eye? That's a hell of a build.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Freemage wrote:This suggests that you're a robot pilot with an Arcane Background AND a cybernetic eye? That's a hell of a build.

I've made that character. The edge to negate penalties is actually pretty legit at lower power dice.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20

Return to “Savage Rifts™”