Technomage Question

Welcome to the Palladium Books destination for all things Savage Rifts™. Please keep conversions to items, people, etc found in the various Rifts books and/or Savage Rifts books.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

EverRaven
Newb

Technomage Question

Unread post by EverRaven »

So, I've crafted myself a Technomage. I'm loving this framework - specifically how swiss-army-knife it is with the Arcane Machinist ability. Just last night quick casts of Speed and Fly made a really deadly situation a lot more survivable for my group!

I'm now skipping through to Veteran Tier, and I find myself looking at the Master of Magic edge (which allows access to the Mega Power version of spells). This has made my GM and I stop and think REAL hard about how this applies to a Technomage that takes the spell.

First off, unlike most frameworks under the "Master of Magic" section - Technomage does not start with this edge, they have to purchase it. Which, hey, I am TOTALLY okay with that. Makes sense to pay an edge tax for how flexible this framework is in every aspect. However, how does it work for the Technomage?

1. We assume that it can be taken, and would allow the Technomage to use his Arcane Background Gizmos to cast both the regular and Mega version of the powers he has chosen... however...
2. If someone ELSE picks up my Gizmo... can THEY use the Mega Version with the proper PPE/ISP spent?
3. Now, what about the Arcane Machinist "Gadget" as I call it? The ability states that I can "produce a magical gadget replicating any power available to Techno-Wizards." My GM isn't sure how to read this - and my lawyer self tends to read things as written... it appears to say that I can cast any power available to Techno-Wizards at large... NOT specifically myself... and I can cast Mega, not the techno-wizard at large population. Yeah, I know that means I gimp myself and any self respecting power gamer should be ashamed for arguing their way out of something powerful... but hey, I've never been the power gamer sort.
4. Which also lends again the question - if someone else uses it, can they use the Mega Version of the spell?
5. And final question - Techno Wizard Conversions. I can add an Edge to a device. IF I add Master of Magic - does the Edge only apply to a power already in the device, or does it grant itself entirely to the wielder (thus allowing Mega spells to someone who normally can't cast it - with proper ISP/PPE spent, of course).

So.... any clarification would be appreciated ;) There is a little bipedal cat techno-wizard that awaits your thoughts....
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Technomage Question

Unread post by Library Ogre »

My gut was that a device (gadget or gizmo) designed MegaPower would always be MegaPower... whoever uses it will use it as a MegaPower, and the MegaPower is separate from the regular power... so a Bolter and a MegaBolter are separate devices, and a device able to do both would need a selector switch. I think this is a viable option... when you get Master of Magic, you can make MegaPower devices, and devices you design Mega are Mega for whoever uses them.

However, your point 5 opens an interesting option... make those devices that are going to use MegaPowers require that the Master of Magic edge be built into them, adding an additional layer of cost and complexity. Want to use Arcane Machinist to make MegaFlight? Sure, but that's two uses of Arcane Machinist... one to flight, and one to make it Mega. Your possession of the Master of Magic edge lets you do this, but you have to build it BIGGER if you're going to make it Mega.

The second option is more restrictive... it requires you to put a lot more effort into MegaDevices... but it also keeps you from being a handy source of MegaPowers for anyone who wants it.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Freemage
Explorer

Re: Technomage Question

Unread post by Freemage »

EverRaven wrote:So, I've crafted myself a Technomage. I'm loving this framework - specifically how swiss-army-knife it is with the Arcane Machinist ability. Just last night quick casts of Speed and Fly made a really deadly situation a lot more survivable for my group!

I'm now skipping through to Veteran Tier, and I find myself looking at the Master of Magic edge (which allows access to the Mega Power version of spells). This has made my GM and I stop and think REAL hard about how this applies to a Technomage that takes the spell.

First off, unlike most frameworks under the "Master of Magic" section - Technomage does not start with this edge, they have to purchase it. Which, hey, I am TOTALLY okay with that. Makes sense to pay an edge tax for how flexible this framework is in every aspect. However, how does it work for the Technomage?

1. We assume that it can be taken, and would allow the Technomage to use his Arcane Background Gizmos to cast both the regular and Mega version of the powers he has chosen... however...

This is correct.

2. If someone ELSE picks up my Gizmo... can THEY use the Mega Version with the proper PPE/ISP spent?

Only if they have the Master of Magic Edge.

3. Now, what about the Arcane Machinist "Gadget" as I call it? The ability states that I can "produce a magical gadget replicating any power available to Techno-Wizards." My GM isn't sure how to read this - and my lawyer self tends to read things as written... it appears to say that I can cast any power available to Techno-Wizards at large... NOT specifically myself... and I can cast Mega, not the techno-wizard at large population. Yeah, I know that means I gimp myself and any self respecting power gamer should be ashamed for arguing their way out of something powerful... but hey, I've never been the power gamer sort.

If you have MoM, you can cast the Mega-Power via a Gadget. If not, then not. You are limited to the TW spell-list, PLUS any powers you've acquired through the HJ rolls (there's one that lets you pick a Novice power not on your list). You can also use this power when crafting TW items.

4. Which also lends again the question - if someone else uses it, can they use the Mega Version of the spell?

Again, what matters is whether or not the wielder has the Edge--even if the creator has it, another user does not get access to the Mega power, and even if the creator doesn't have it, the wielder can use the Mega version if they have MoM.

5. And final question - Techno Wizard Conversions. I can add an Edge to a device. IF I add Master of Magic - does the Edge only apply to a power already in the device, or does it grant itself entirely to the wielder (thus allowing Mega spells to someone who normally can't cast it - with proper ISP/PPE spent, of course).

This touches on one of the trickiest aspects of TW items, in general. Edges and Trait-boosts provided by the item only apply when using the item. So, the baseline response would be no. However, if the item is designed in a way to be used by a particular magical tradition (for instance, a Christian Miracles caster using a TW crucifix), then arguably the Edges would apply. So it won't necessarily work for just anyone that way, but it might be possible to design something like this for a specific party member, with the GM's approval.
So.... any clarification would be appreciated ;) There is a little bipedal cat techno-wizard that awaits your thoughts....

If the PEG forums weren't down, I'd provide you with appropriate links.

Return to “Savage Rifts™”