Board index » MDC Worlds » Robotech RPG Tactics™ » Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Modelling & Terrain

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:18 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Hey Guys,

I just put up a post on my blog showing how I modified the legs of the Veritech Battloids to create some varied dynamic poses.

http://rpgandtactics.blogspot.com/2014/09/veritech-battloid-dynamic-poses.html

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:48 am

Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.
Nice work. I modified the foot on the straight leg to make it look like he was in a sprint pose.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/Magall.jpg

I also, as an experiment, played with magnatizing the heads:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/Magbody.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/Maghead.jpg

I used 1/16th magnets (1.6mm). Seems to work well.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:12 am

Wanderer

Its a pretty straight forward conversion. Did you use a piece of wire between the two legs before you greenstuffed the gap?

Phaze,

I'm honestly surprised by the head conversion I know how small those heads are! How did you ever drill out those holes to the right size?

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:36 am

Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.
Pin vise and a sharp (new) 1/16th drill bit. Its a bit tricky to get the hole in the neck. It works better if you shave off the rounded nub on the neck and drill in the center. The walls are thin but a touch of super glue and the magnet and you are all set. Do the same in the pit where the head inserts and add another magnet (be watchfull of the poles!) I have a magnet glued to my workstation. I put another magnet on top of it and mark the exposed side with a sharpie marker. On the body, I glue the marked side out and on the extremity (head in this case) I glue the marked side in. This way all my parts are interchagable with all of the minis, because its uniform.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:09 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

I didn't pin the pieces, although for durability I probably should have.

Hey Phaze, great job on the magnets, going to try that in my next squad.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:52 pm

Explorer

Comment: Coiner of "Gencon Suicide Pact"
I use the glued to work area magnet also, but I just line up the stack of magnets on it (the line is then horizontal on the work space) and use my Xacto knife to "cut" the magnets off (sometimes with itty bitties, I use two on each side). I put all of them in part A and then reverse them for all the part B bits.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:00 am

D-Bee

Looks great man. I've been following it across a few forums, I'm a big conversion fan.

I can't believe people gave you stick about showing how to convert kits before they had them. As if it's gonna be better to get your kits then wait for a helpful guide like this?

Well done I say again!

Do you think similar sized magnets could be used to make the missile options interchangeable?

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:23 pm

Hero

Considering the difference in time frame between the first Core boxes going out and the last ones arriving to international backers might be 4-5 months or more (end of August to the end of the year or later), yeah, it's kind of unreasonable for people to think that nobody would start talking about actual assembly and whatnot.

I think those people can safely be disregarded as ___holes.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:14 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

I think using magnets on the missiles would be very hard and require small fingers. I model my fighters with both missile options similar to the do you remember love toys

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:42 pm

D-Bee

Fair call on the missiles. I thought it might be too fiddly.

On the magnet subject, are we talking 1/8" x 1/16" aka 3mm x 1.6mm. Before I go buying magnets that won't fit a neck hole :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:52 am

D-Bee

good stuff! I plan on doing some pretty heavy modifications myself, same basic techniques though I'll prob use regular green stuff since I have a surplus.

More importantly you're paint jobs solved an issue for me. I was trying to decide on realistic paint jobs or more cartoon like paint jobs. The heavy black lining gives it a great but easy to do cartoon look I really like!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:16 am

Explorer

Comment: Coiner of "Gencon Suicide Pact"
Pythdamion wrote:
I think using magnets on the missiles would be very hard and require small fingers. I model my fighters with both missile options similar to the do you remember love toys

Actually, I use toothpicks for the teeny magnets, with a slightly slower set superglue and it works fine. If you have to Xacto the end of the toothpick off the magnet because you waited too long, not a big deal. After all, like the bling spikes on the Battlepod, it is something you can just push into a hole and hold for a minute or so, then you are done.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:04 pm

D-Bee

Phaze wrote:
I used 1/16th magnets (1.6mm). Seems to work well.

Are those 1/8" x 1/16" (3mm x 1.6mm) magnets? Do you think that size would also work well for the Veritech missiles?