VF-1R upgrade queries

Here you can discuss rules related questions pertaining to the Robotech RPG Tactics™ game. Do you have your own rules modifications to share? Constructive suggestions for future rules expansion? Talk about them here!

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Psyfer
D-Bee

VF-1R upgrade queries

Unread post by Psyfer »

I have a couple of questions about the VF-1R and how it's applied to units:

1: Can it be applied to Armoured or Jotun equipped Valkyries?

2: In the unit creation process, when is it applied? For example, Say you want to add Ben Dixon (Restricted to VF-1As), is it legal for you to attach him to a VF-1A, then upgrade it to VF-1R
standard?

Also, I heard mention of there being an army builder, where can I find that?

Cheers,
Just another ghost in the machine.
Veritas
D-Bee

Re: VF-1R upgrade queries

Unread post by Veritas »

1. The rules specifically state that the VF-1R cannot replace Armored or Jotun VF-1As or VF-1Js.

2. This still have gone unanswered. On the safe side, I'd say that the characters that don't have VF-1Rs as possible choices cannot be put in them.

And just my opinion, but AB suuuuuucks. I wouldn't know where to find it, sorry. :|
Watch out fer dem pancakes.
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

Veritas wrote:2. This still have gone unanswered. On the safe side, I'd say that the characters that don't have VF-1Rs as possible choices cannot be put in them.

This is still officially up in the air. RAW is that 'no' they can't because the R is not listed under the available mecha for the characters.

But (try to follow me on this one) the VF-1R is an upgrade and not a Core Mecha. So one could place a character into a Core VF-1A or J and then upgrade the unit to an R. So far I have had this house rule in place with no problems. Discussions with Palladium has gone both ways and they are considering the issue. I will get it out as soon as I can.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Dahak
Newb

Unread post by Dahak »

Phaze wrote:But (try to follow me on this one) the VF-1R is an upgrade and not a Core Mecha.

Doesn't work.

Azonia lists the Glaug but not the Glaug-Eldare and Khyron lists both Glaug and Glaug-Eldare.

The Glaug-Eldare is also an upgrade to a core mecha.

The only conclusion that can be drawn is that Special Characters can only fly mecha they list and not upgrades, or Khyron wouldn't list the Eldare.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

It would be nice to know the rational for not allowing Armored and Jotun units to upgrade to VF-1R's.......
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Rules Discussion”