Command point, close formations, and dodging - FAQ request

Here you can discuss rules related questions pertaining to the Robotech RPG Tactics™ game. Do you have your own rules modifications to share? Constructive suggestions for future rules expansion? Talk about them here!

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Saxifridge
D-Bee

Command point, close formations, and dodging - FAQ request

Unread post by Saxifridge »

Hello!

I had a question regarding the spending of command points to dodge when being attacked simultaneously by units in a close formation.

The rule book states that all units firing in close formation must be doing so simultaneously, instead of individually. So if three regults in close formation are firing on a VF-1, they all roll three separate attacks, and hit. So now, how many command points and dodge rolls does the VF make. Does the VF pay a single command point, make one dodge roll, and beat whatever hit rolls it beats, or does he pay three command points, and make a single dodge roll, or does he pay three command points and make three dodge rolls?

My initial interpretation was the first instance, however I have seen people believe it was three CP. This rule is not stated well in the book.

Thanks!
Sqir
D-Bee

Re: Command point, close formations, and dodging - FAQ reque

Unread post by Sqir »

You would have to pay for EACH dodge.

While all the Regult attacks would be would be simultaneous they still count as separate attacks.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Saxifridge wrote:Hello!

I had a question regarding the spending of command points to dodge when being attacked simultaneously by units in a close formation.

The rule book states that all units firing in close formation must be doing so simultaneously, instead of individually. So if three regults in close formation are firing on a VF-1, they all roll three separate attacks, and hit. So now, how many command points and dodge rolls does the VF make. Does the VF pay a single command point, make one dodge roll, and beat whatever hit rolls it beats, or does he pay three command points, and make a single dodge roll, or does he pay three command points and make three dodge rolls?

My initial interpretation was the first instance, however I have seen people believe it was three CP. This rule is not stated well in the book.

Thanks!

Although I agree with your logic and also used to play that way in my first few games, it has been confirmed that it is one dodge per attack and each shot counts as a separate attack.

In that same instance if the Pods did not have to move they could have used Focus Fire and fired the lower guns if they were in range along with the main Particle Cannons. In which case the player would still have to pay one command point per weapon system.
Malcontent-Khyron
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Malcontent-Khyron »

The only time You only pay 1 cp to dodge more than one "attack" is with a missile volley because the entire volley is treated as a single attack. Other than that it's always 1 cp per attack period.
Why are they using such primative weapons?
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

I concur! Thanks Gents.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Saxifridge
D-Bee

I see, so then to clarify:

For the three attacks made, the VF-1 pays three command points, and makes one dodge roll, or a three separate dodge rolls for each attack?

Thanks
Malcontent-Khyron
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Malcontent-Khyron »

Each Attack die requires its own opposed Dodge Die ( with certain missile exceptions) so using your example a VF1-A uses 2 Command points in battleoid mode and fires his GU-11 gun pod 3 times. lets say he is shooting at a Glaug with piloting 3 and a defense of 7. The VF1-A rolls a 4,5,6 plus his Gunnery of 3 scores a 7,8 and 9 all 3 attacks hit beating the 7 Defense. In return the Glaug if he wishes to attempt to dodge Spends three command points and rolls 3 dice one at a time comparing to each attack, with might go something like this. I choose to roll against the 9 first and roll a 5 adding my 3 piloting its an 8 so the first dodge fails, then I roll against the 8 next scoring a 6+3=9 and dodge attack #2, then finally roll against the 7 and score a 2+3=5 and fail. All together dodging 1 attack and still getting hit by 2.
Why are they using such primative weapons?
Saxifridge
D-Bee

Malcontent-Khyron wrote:Each Attack die requires its own opposed Dodge Die ( with certain missile exceptions) so using your example a VF1-A uses 2 Command points in battleoid mode and fires his GU-11 gun pod 3 times. lets say he is shooting at a Glaug with piloting 3 and a defense of 7. The VF1-A rolls a 4,5,6 plus his Gunnery of 3 scores a 7,8 and 9 all 3 attacks hit beating the 7 Defense. In return the Glaug if he wishes to attempt to dodge Spends three command points and rolls 3 dice one at a time comparing to each attack, with might go something like this. I choose to roll against the 9 first and roll a 5 adding my 3 piloting its an 8 so the first dodge fails, then I roll against the 8 next scoring a 6+3=9 and dodge attack #2, then finally roll against the 7 and score a 2+3=5 and fail. All together dodging 1 attack and still getting hit by 2.

Much appreciated!

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Rules Discussion”