Recently Playtesting newly changed blast rules.

Here you can discuss rules related questions pertaining to the Robotech RPG Tactics™ game. Do you have your own rules modifications to share? Constructive suggestions for future rules expansion? Talk about them here!

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Malcontent-Khyron
Megaversal® Ambassador

Recently Playtesting newly changed blast rules.

Unread post by Malcontent-Khyron »

After reading the Changes it seemed obvious that it was in the spirit of Less dice faster game play. I loved the idea whole heartedly.
However we found one kinda Major loophole that I think may not have been noticed. Allow me to try to explain (and hopefully i'm just doing something wrong).

Our local playgroup together as a group had decided to Ban the use of firing a blast missile at a random spot on the ground to take advantage of the 5 DF instead of hitting the model. But after looking at the new blast rules more closely a few people wanted to reverse that.

So Game #1 of the night UEDF player fielding a 4 man Phalanx unit (we all know how tough they are already) Fires into a Semi-clumped(not to thick) Attrition squad with glaug attachment. Instead of choosing models to fire at he ops to fire at close proximity on the ground. He shoots all 4 models simultaniously each at 4 separate spots. So with how things are listed currently each missile is it's own Dice and each scatters if it misses. He only missed about 3 out of the massive volley because well DF 5 isn't a tough number, and of the scatters 2 still managed to hit some pods in differant areas.

Now what we have is 15 different missile attacks. Before this wouldn't have been so bad because any pod who succeeded in rolling an anti-missile check of a 6 would have popped 2-3 missiles and mitigated lots of damage. However now that a 6 must be rolled PER attack die. only 3 of the 15 were shot down.(this was slightly below average rolling, but not by much). and the remaining 12 9 MD missiles overlapped just enough to take the entire 13 model unit off the board leaving 2 pods near the back row at 4 damage a piece.

Now the point can be made he should have spread out more ( but he wasn't really all that compact most models were the full 2" apart.) And the point can be made that he didn't roll really well either (but i could have been much worse). The simple fact is an 80 point unit killed a 100 point unit turn one first activation.
And Though I don't entirely blame the new blast rules. I really don't think they can exist in the same environment with being able to shoot points on the ground. One of those has to change somehow because phalanx using this method in a tournament just got WAY more OP.
Why are they using such primative weapons?
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Recently Playtesting newly changed blast rules.

Unread post by Mike1975 »

It seems from the description that you did not allow each unit under the blast to roll a D6 for Anti-Missile correct? If so that is one of the problems.

If you have 4 blast markers you roll for all the units under each marker resolving each marker as a separate attack. That means 4 blast markers, 4 attacks and each time EVERY unit under the blast marker may roll Anti-Missile.
Malcontent-Khyron
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Malcontent-Khyron »

Incorrect Every model under the template did indeed roll. but even when they got a 6 it only canceled 1 missile.
And still the results weren't great 6's aren't exactly easy to roll consistently.
Why are they using such primative weapons?
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Ok, I agree, I think normal Anti-Missile should be allowed for the target and a -1 modifier for the rest and that targeting the ground should not be allowed, but that's just me. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Rules Discussion”