Splitting damage in close formation

Here you can discuss rules related questions pertaining to the Robotech RPG Tactics™ game. Do you have your own rules modifications to share? Constructive suggestions for future rules expansion? Talk about them here!

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Splitting damage in close formation

Unread post by Axoid »

As written.

"When one mecha is a close formation has been hit with an attack, the defending player can opt to split the MD evenly (assign any odd points as desired) between that mecha and one other mecha in the close formation. Any single mecha in a close formation can only shield one other mecha per turn."

As written, these means you can share the damage with any single Mecha in close formation. This was challenged on the BGG forums to mean it must be an adjacent Mecha in close formation.

Thoughts? I'll hold fast that you can share the damage anywhere in the close formation, even if your close formation is strung out over 10+ inches across the table.
Malcontent-Khyron
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Splitting damage in close formation

Unread post by Malcontent-Khyron »

Wow Interesting question because. Rules are written I agree with you 100%.

-Though I do have a feeling the intention of the rules might be(might) they meant for someone within 2" of the target to share damage. So far we have always played It as 2" from the target but, honestly I never even considered the wording this way. I'm gonna play test this and see how things feel.

-Initial thoughts Your prefered method WAY better for glaug survival rates...
Why are they using such primative weapons?
PATACK
D-Bee

Unread post by PATACK »

I've been playing any mecha in the close formation - so you can daisy chain damage throughout a close formation.
BradyTech
D-Bee

Unread post by BradyTech »

Which...whatever. It's one of the few edges the Zents have!
BradyTech
D-Bee

Unread post by BradyTech »

BradyTech wrote:Which...whatever. It's one of the few edges the Zents have!

And Daisy-chaining hits through Roll with the Impact, Close Formation put the Zents in good stead tonight. By spending a point to halve the damge, then halve it again between the target and one other friendly mecha down a long change of mecha within 2" of one another, I was able to syphon off hits onto mecha well out of the kill zones.

If that's not the intent of the rule, the authors better chime in quick!
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

BradyTech wrote:
BradyTech wrote:Which...whatever. It's one of the few edges the Zents have!

And Daisy-chaining hits through Roll with the Impact, Close Formation put the Zents in good stead tonight. By spending a point to halve the damge, then halve it again between the target and one other friendly mecha down a long change of mecha within 2" of one another, I was able to syphon off hits onto mecha well out of the kill zones.

See below for Official word

RAW says any unit in close formation. Close formation is any unit within 2" of each other. Even the example shows a chain of three mecha all to be in close formation.

Yes, you can split the damage to any unit in close formation. Even down the length of the chain. Even if they did not take the close formation bonus during the attack phase.

BradyTech wrote:If that's not the intent of the rule, the authors better chime in quick!

Jeff is out today, but I will validate this tomorrow. I am sure this is the intent.
Last edited by Phaze on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I hope it isn't the case, it makes ZERO sense to allow a mecha that is possibly 6 or 8 inches away from the initial target to take some of the damage while none of the intervening mecha do....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

Phaze wrote: I am sure this is the intent.

Well, this sparked a conversation. Jeff and I had a long discussion about this topic this morning. He is referencing others in the creation process to validate his thinking and will report out as soon as he can. I could be incorrect in my assesment. I'll report out as soon as I have an answer.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
PATACK
D-Bee

Unread post by PATACK »

"He is referencing others in the creation process"

I beg of you... please have these same folks have a similar discussion over the Blast rules and issue The Final Word on how Blast works in the game. I think you've seen it, but that 2 pages of questions, comments, concerns, house rules, etc... call out for some clarification from someone who was in the test and development of the rules.

Pretty Please!

Thanks!
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

Official word:

You are able to spread the damage to any mecha WITHIN 2". Other mecha (further away than 2") that are part of a close formation during the attack phase cannot shield the target of the damage.

I will update the FAQ.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

ok THAT makes MUCH more sense :ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

Glad you approve. 8)
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

This really sucks for the Zentraedi. Since a Mecha can only receive split damage once per turn, it's going to be easier to punch through and nail the Glaugs. Makes me wonder what other rules have intended meanings that are so drastically different from their as-written wording?
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Yeah I am thinking that instead of NO Command points for non glaug led regults that maybe do it 3 regults get 1 command point or something...that way a support squad gets 2, a attack squad gets 3 plus the glaug and an attrition squad gets 4.

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Phaze wrote:Glad you approve. 8)

I think you may be the only that is Glad I of all people approve :lol:

\m/
PATACK
D-Bee

Unread post by PATACK »

"Makes me wonder what other rules have intended meanings that are so drastically different from their as-written wording?"

Our group (about 6 players) had this very discussion after playing last night, mainly centered around the Blast rules, which the more we play are becoming universally broken to us. Makes me wonder what was tested : the intent or the rule as per the book.
mrwrightkkpsi
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mrwrightkkpsi »

Glad to see this common sense rule be enforced correctly. Sad to see one of the (startling few) clearly written rules be so far off it's intent. I've asked this in other threads: did anyone bother to test the rules that actually ended up in the book? This is either a case of far too many cooks or just grossly unprofessional editing and compiling prior to publication.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

I think it is more of a case of playtesters never seeing the final rules and playing with the intent and then RPG writers trying to check rules for minis games that they are unfamiliar with. Unfortunate but there it is. Either way with a working FAQ that can be updated hopefully things link Blast and other problems will be fixed properly in time.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Rules Discussion”