UEDF FACTION Card Question

Here you can discuss rules related questions pertaining to the Robotech RPG Tactics™ game. Do you have your own rules modifications to share? Constructive suggestions for future rules expansion? Talk about them here!

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MootKing
D-Bee

UEDF FACTION Card Question

Unread post by MootKing »

So in this situation if a "S" Veritech kills 4 Regults and a "J" Veritech witnesses these kills (LOS) what happens?
Does the 'J' gain 4 attacks next activation? or is there a limit to Free attacks?
Thorfinn
D-Bee

Re: UEDF FACTION Card Question

Unread post by Thorfinn »

According to the card, there is no limit to how many kills may result in free attacks. The only limit is LOS.

This rule fits into the "hero factor" for the RDF characters, and helps balance out the numbers a bit. The Zentraedi can field a lot of bodies.
MootKing
D-Bee

Ok..and then you can use all these free attacks until all the weapon systems are used?
and I am assuming you can't "save" them for later turns?
PATACK
D-Bee

Unread post by PATACK »

The card says the free attack must be made during the unit's "next activation". That activation may be in the following turn but it seems pretty clear you can't bank them beyond that subsequent activation.
MootKing
D-Bee

PATACK wrote:The card says the free attack must be made during the unit's "next activation". That activation may be in the following turn but it seems pretty clear you can't bank them beyond that subsequent activation.

oh ok that makes sense. But can I use 4 extra attacks next activation or only 1 and 3 are wasted ?
mrwrightkkpsi
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mrwrightkkpsi »

You can keep attacking as long as you have legal weapons to use. So, if your 1-J is awarded 4 free attacks: take your turn in Battloid mode, for your Gu-11 three times and your head lasers once and spend no command points to do so (and lose the 5th attack you have) OR in Guardian mode fire GU-11 twice, head lasers, and one missile volley all for no command points (and lose the 5th attack again). Fighter mode cannot take advantage of all the extra attacks because of it's built in limitations. If more than one 'officer' had line of sight to the kills you could assign the extra attacks (at the time of the kill, not later) among multiple officers so they don't go to wast.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

so basically, they're free command points that can only be used for weapons?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
mrwrightkkpsi
Megaversal® Ambassador

No, I wouldn't say it that way. It is the ability for this officer mecha to attack an extra time and nothing else. And it is not a 'pool' of extra attacks. Officer 1 makes a kill with officer 2 and officer 3 both having line of sight. At the moment of the kill, the controlling player declares which one of those officers will have an additional attack the next time it activates. So it is tagged to a specific mecha, can only be used on the next activation and it has no bearing on anything that command points do at all. I would recommend that you not relate it to any other rule in any way to avoid confusion. It is it's own ability.
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

mrwrightkkpsi wrote:No, I wouldn't say it that way. It is the ability for this officer mecha to attack an extra time and nothing else. And it is not a 'pool' of extra attacks. Officer 1 makes a kill with officer 2 and officer 3 both having line of sight. At the moment of the kill, the controlling player declares which one of those officers will have an additional attack the next time it activates. So it is tagged to a specific mecha, can only be used on the next activation and it has no bearing on anything that command points do at all. I would recommend that you not relate it to any other rule in any way to avoid confusion. It is it's own ability.

I agree. Good comments.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

actually, i phrased it that way because by the RAW only command points can allow a unit to make extra weapons attacks. either by paying to fire an extra weapon, or paying to use rapid fire.

by equating them to command points (and you'll notice i said nothing about 'pools' or making them command points.. you need to be careful your assumptions match what the person actually posted.) you can clarify how they work in order to prevent some rules lawyering where the rules as written about command points get used to negate the faction ability.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
mrwrightkkpsi
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually, i phrased it that way because by the RAW only command points can allow a unit to make extra weapons attacks. either by paying to fire an extra weapon, or paying to use rapid fire.

by equating them to command points (and you'll notice i said nothing about 'pools' or making them command points.. you need to be careful your assumptions match what the person actually posted.) you can clarify how they work in order to prevent some rules lawyering where the rules as written about command points get used to negate the faction ability.

Whatever man. By saying they are "like command points" it implies, regardless of intent, that they have traits of command points. They don't. That is how people get confused- by conferring traits of one rule onto another. We all get the rule at this point. You don't have to mention 'pools' because you mention command points and they do 'pool.' That's why you shouldn't compare them to command points. You need to be careful about your implications so they are not so easily taken out of context...
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

wow. so does this mean a simile and a metaphor are the same thing? because one is "like" something, the other is said to be something.

i said they are LIKE, as in "have a few traits in common, but not all"

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
mrwrightkkpsi
Megaversal® Ambassador

Actually, you did not say they were 'like' anything. You said they 'are' command points. The contraction 'they're' is short for 'they are.' And no, they are not command points. They are not even command points with a limitation, which is precisely what you said. Just for review, here is your entire statement:

so basically, they're free command points that can only be used for weapons?

No they are not. To review- they have no traits in common with command points at all. The end result happens to be something that spending a command point can do. I don't think you would say that Roy Fokker's special ability is just like having 2 extra command points that can only be used for dodging, would you? If the answer is yes, I am willing to agree that we disagree and drop everything. It's a game and if we all want to play in the basement with our buddies so be it. I just feel bad for anyone who wants to play in a public place or pay to enter some sort of 'sanctioned' event because these rules not ready for prime time.
Malcontent-Khyron
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Malcontent-Khyron »

I think you are both in agreement here please lets not let semantics ruin the fact that we are all clear on how the ability works.
Why are they using such primative weapons?

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Rules Discussion”