Blast templates and blocking damage?

Here you can discuss rules related questions pertaining to the Robotech RPG Tactics™ game. Do you have your own rules modifications to share? Constructive suggestions for future rules expansion? Talk about them here!

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Malcontent-Khyron
Megaversal® Ambassador

Blast templates and blocking damage?

Unread post by Malcontent-Khyron »

Yesterday I fired a volley from some heavy artiliery Pods one of the missiles that missed the target scattered into my own unit.

Specifically there was a Single Spartan destroid and a Single regult pod under the marker.

Now me and my opponent discussed it and it seems to me If i use the pod to block for the spartan thus taking half his damage.
The regult would already be taking his own 9 plus half(i chose to round up) of another 9 giving it a total of 14 damage, clearly not worth command to try to save this pod, however now after a direct missile the spartan spend 1 command to half and walks away from a missile taking a measly 2 damage. I really want it to work this way however in this instance I chose not to use it.

We are both convinced that this must be illegal somehow but reviewing the books I cannot find a reason this isn't a legitimate tactic.

I was really hoping maybe this wonderful community could help me with something I may have missed or some opinions.
Why are they using such primative weapons?
Forar
Hero

Re: Blast templates and blocking damage?

Unread post by Forar »

Isn't there a rule about not being able to share damage against blast template weapons? I've only read over the book once, but I recall that being 'a thing', likely at least in part to prevent exactly what you're talking about.
Malcontent-Khyron
Megaversal® Ambassador

That was the same thing I thought I remembered but, I'm just not finding it.
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

There's nothing under either Blast or Close Formation to prevent this tactic. You can choose to over-damage one unit in Close Formation, even under a Blast attack. But remember, under Close Formation you can only split damage to any one Mecha once per turn (page 18, 3rd paragraph, under Close Formation), meaning if 4 Mecha are hit, you can't have 3 of them split their damage with the 4th, effectively killing it. I know that's not your example, but I think this is an oft overlooked rule in general, and limits splitting damage in Close Formation some.
Malcontent-Khyron
Megaversal® Ambassador

Yea agreed there Axoid. But in a mixed squad like the Malc's love to field It just seems REALLY easy to make a spartan with a nearby Regult or two Impressively hard to kill.

Which by the way I am a fan of. Just wanted to make sure it's legit before I make a part of my day to day tactics.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

That's what Pods are for....ablative armor.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Rules Discussion”