Rules Question - Force building with "Special" units

Here you can discuss rules related questions pertaining to the Robotech RPG Tactics™ game. Do you have your own rules modifications to share? Constructive suggestions for future rules expansion? Talk about them here!

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rules Question - Force building with "Special" units

Unread post by Axoid »

Per page 75, for every Core Force Card you can include 2 Support Force Cards and 1 Special Force Card.

My question is "Do the Special Character Cards count as Special Force Cards?", i.e. if I take a Special Force Card upgrade, like the VF-1S option, can I also take a Rick Hunter or Roy Fokker? Or for that matter can I have multiple Special Characters in one squad, regardless if I have a Special Force Card or not?

Initially I thought you couldn't, but the reference on page 75 specifically mentions Special Force Cards, which are the very small cards, as well as specifically calling out Mecha and not Characters. Plus it seems to defeat the spirit if you can't take 2 characters in the same squad.

Thoughts? I did a search but couldn't find anything relevant.

As it stands now I'm leaning towards treating Character cards as separate from the force creation rules on page 75.

Thanks,
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Rules Question - Force building with "Special" units

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Axoid wrote:Per page 75, for every Core Force Card you can include 2 Support Force Cards and 1 Special Force Card.

My question is "Do the Special Character Cards count as Special Force Cards?", i.e. if I take a Special Force Card upgrade, like the VF-1S option, can I also take a Rick Hunter or Roy Fokker? Or for that matter can I have multiple Special Characters in one squad, regardless if I have a Special Force Card or not?

Initially I thought you couldn't, but the reference on page 75 specifically mentions Special Force Cards, which are the very small cards, as well as specifically calling out Mecha and not Characters. Plus it seems to defeat the spirit if you can't take 2 characters in the same squad.

Thoughts? I did a search but couldn't find anything relevant.

As it stands now I'm leaning towards treating Character cards as separate from the force creation rules on page 75.

Thanks,

I would assume that that is the way to do it. Character cards are separate and not considered "special" cards. Special cards have Special Option written under the card name, support cards say Support Option, and characters say Special Character on the cards.
Veritas
D-Bee

Re: Rules Question - Force building with "Special" units

Unread post by Veritas »

Yep. "Special Characters" are unlimited; "Special Force Cards" are not. The rules for using special characters are on pp.51 and 66.
Watch out fer dem pancakes.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Rules Discussion”