BTS style movies & books?

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

krate
Explorer

Re: BTS style movies & books?

Unread post by krate »

I am not too sure about the last statement that good ol' Mephistopheles made. I love John Carpenter and his movies... But didn't he do Ghost of Mars?? That one was pretty bad. :lol: It's allgood though.
Please visit my DeviantArt page http://krateworx.deviantart.com/
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Mephisto wrote:
krate wrote:I am not too sure about the last statement that good ol' Mephistopheles made. I love John Carpenter and his movies... But didn't he do Ghost of Mars?? That one was pretty bad. :lol: It's allgood though.

It had Natasha Henstridge in it...that alone makes it worth the viewing. :mrgreen:

I agree with you on most things Memph... but not this one.

If you need some Natasha lovin, grab a copy of Species. A much better movie and as a bonus she's nekid through most of the film! :D
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Lord Z wrote:There is only one John Carpenter movie -- link!

Why my dear Z, how can you say this? John C. has two movies... the one your forgetting is "The Thing". Still eeks me out everytime I see it to this day!
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
mrloucifer

Oh, and Halloween gets honerable mention as its the epitome of the movies that portray the Victim Campaign. :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Hmmm,

Caballistics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caballistics,_Inc.(a comic book by AD2000 and a series of books) is a good, high powered BtS group fighting some Very Bad Things.

The Beast That Was Max http://www.amazon.com/Beast-That-Was-Max/dp/0843948817 is a good read about a mystical government assassin with some hefty baggage.

The Thing is a good victim movie

Ghost Ship, 13 Ghosts, House on Haunted Hill and Hill House are all good.

Event Horizon is a good BtS/Sci-Fi movie.

Nobody mentioned Twilight !?! :x I am going to have my group find that "vampire family" and cleanse them by flame!!!

Ninth Gate is a good low powered BtS movie.

Any of the Delta Green novels...

I second Galen on his choices of Matt Reilly and James Rollins (Rollins is better, but Reilly has awesome pacing) for some psuedo BtS material

csbioborg is absolutely correct in choosing Constantine...yes the movie sucked, but it has Keanu Reeves so how good could it be (Street Kings is the exception)...

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
mrloucifer

Got a new book to add to the list: Urban Gothic by Brian Keene.

Its fast pace, spattergore heavy, a scant 300 pages and change, and is set in modern day.

The quick synopsis (no I dont ruin what plot there is), 6 suburb teens take a detour and get lost on the way home from a concert. they end up in Comden, which is the worst neighborhood in Philidelphia to be in at night. The car stalls and the kids are approached by a pack of gang banger looking kids. They panc and run, finding an old beat, abandoned looking victorian era house, the buildings around it all collapsed. They run to the house and find the door unlocked and decide to hide inside.

What they discover in a matter of a few pages into the book is that the house is rigged with death traps and cannibalistic mutants wanting to have them all for dinner.

Its a rugged and primal trip, but its a fast read and plays out like a 4-6 one shot victims campaign (literally, you could run a Con campaign based on this book).
–H.P. Lovecraft

Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

I'm looking forward to watching Shutter Island. :)
vika
Explorer

Unread post by vika »

I found the trailer to this film. Seems that it will be spooky, and without all the sudden shrill noises and such things modern horror films rely for to scare. Such things not really scare, they simply startle. I bet this film will be quite good. Hey, it is the Scorsese film with DiCaprio...if it is the bad film I will eat my belt (joke).
mrloucifer

This weekend I discovered the TV show "Sanctuary"... and I was hooked by episode 1.

If you havent seen it... SEE IT! Excellent show! :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

I saw the pilot for Sanctuary. It just didn't grab me. The show's concept is basically X-Men with supernatural bend. At the time, the show was greatly hyped for its visual FX. Amanda Tapping as a brunette was the only visual affect which impressed me. There was potential there, particularly with a psychologist as one of the main characters, so I might give it another try.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
mrloucifer

Your insights serve you well Lordy Z, its basically a blend of X-men and X-files. But I really dig how it plays out so I watched the entire 1st season in a weekend. (when I should have been writing for the Victims book no less) :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

mrloucifer

I was recently sent a new zombie novel by [url]flamesrising.com[/url] to review and I read it last night. Its very BTS worthy material.

The novel is called "The Revolt of the Dead" and the description below explains it;

Two friends.
An ancient book.
One heck of a problem.

Best buds Barry and Shawn hate going to school. Well, that's not exactly true. They go, but it isn't the most pleasant place to be, especially when Mitch Johnson makes a fool of Shawn in front of everyone.

After stumbling upon an ancient spell book hidden in the school library, Shawn and Barry decide to play a prank on those at the beautiful Belinda's Halloween party, a party Mitch will be at with his jerk friends.

First stop: the local cemetery.

Except something goes wrong and instead of raising just one or two of the dead, the entire cemetery bursts to life and masses of living corpses go to work feeding on the living.

Including Shawn.

Heartbroken, confused and scared, Barry tries to escape the dead's clutches as life as he knows it falls apart all around him, leading him on a journey across Florida and into a battle bigger than anything he'd ever imagined or thought possible.

My review for this book was sent in last night and shoul post on the site in a few days.[url][/url]
–H.P. Lovecraft

krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

Going through my stuff the other day and I found "The Wicked Omnibus, Volume 1".
It's a trade paperback collecting an old Image horror comic. The story is about a guy who can see demons--The Wicked--and finds 'em and sends 'em back to the nether realms.
Of course, there are evil humans who make pacts with the things for power. These evil humans also know about the good guys and so it's war.
I love the black-and-white artwork in it (I think the original issues were in color) and it does have the all the stuff I like: monsters, conspiracies, war in the shadows and good guys that aren't squeaky clean.
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

I read some mediocre reviews of Paranormal Event. Reading these reminded me of how good the original Poltergeist movie really was.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Original Poltergeist was Great,the big mistakes with the two who follow it,was they follow the family instead of the Paranormal investigators like the shoud.
it would have wokr out better.
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Both of those movies struck me as good but not great. Ghostrider worked well enough as escapism for a much younger crowd, but it had some clear flaws. Mark Johnson's script had some rough spots, like how the character of Roxanne was given nothing significant to do other than play the corny damsel in distress. There were some clear opportunities to make her more active, but the script just didn't allow it. Also, the actors playing Mephistopheles and Blackheart were underwhelming to me. I liked the special effects and Nick Cage's performance, but I didn't feel that the movie was anything special.

Constantine was similarly ho-hum. It benefited from a better script than Ghostrider (probably due to Garth Enis' involvement). Keanu Reeves didn't seem to know what to do with the title character, and neither did the director. The concept of the John Constantine from the comic books is that he's basically the greatest con-artist in existence, continually playing the forces of Heaven and Hell against each other. We didn't see much of that onscreen. I'm not sure what his character concept was in this movie.

mrloucifer

I agree wholeheartedly about GhostRider, but I dug Constantine a lot more than you did it seems.
Note: This is coming from a duder who's never read the comics and has a background in reviewing/critiqing movies.

To me, Constantine was a kool as a corpse genre bending, piñata of supernatural, gumshoe fun! Armed with yummy horror overtones and a savvy film noir-ish mind-set, it offered up a sweeter than sweet cocktail of eye-popping and jaw-dropping amusement.

I got off on the vastness of the narrative at hand which made way to a mythology akin to The Prophecy on PCP, morbid happenings that screamed The Exorcist on acid and an investigation angle that put Chinatown to shame in its topsy-turvy, “what the flunk is going on?” demeanor.

And its with a big stupid grin on my face that I say that the heavy anchor to the relentless folly, the macabre assaults, the inventive “plane” traveling methods and the unique demon anarchy (they got real creative in that respect) was without a doubt “Keanu f*cking Reeves” as an anti-hero that I loved to love; John Constantine.

He smoked like a chimney; he drank like a man in need of another drink and he’s has jaded about life as one can be. (Have I found my twin brother?) I couldn’t get enough of this numb badass! From his “whatever” take on life and people his kooler than The Fonz manner, his engrossing personal quest (trying to buy his way into heaven) to his deliciously dry sense of humor (what he does on his way to heaven…lol), John Constantine swiftly had me at "F YOU!" I wanted to see more of this El Duderino, that’s for dang sure!

Tag to all that smoking slickness, a gloomy, yet groovy score (which sits in my collection), some truly novel action “set pieces” (the dragging through the high rise was one for the headstone), glorious visuals (loved the halt in time technique), a scene chewing Peter Stormare (who else) as Satan and a pulpy lipped Rachel Weiz looking as scrumptious as ever and I got one hell of a blazing ride ba-bay!!!

The only fault I could find was that it tried to tackle too much for one film, so we got side characters that were wasted and useless and made the pacing feel all over the place at times. Some of the CGI was a little off at times as well, but thats minor detail.

In the end I dug it mucho! And trivia note for ya, did you know that Ghost Rider star Nick Cage was up to play the role of J.C. originally? Not that would have been a bad move! :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

I have some new adds for the tv shows, and books

sci fi's the dresden files

and a book searies by the same name.... by jim butcher
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

My girlfriend showed Monster House to me. I was surprised by how much I was able to appreciate it even before falling into the mentality of a child. The movie does have some pieces of good dialog, two good action sequences, and more than adequate animation. The monster (in BtS terms) is an entity; a curious cross between a tectonic entity and an soul fragment or maybe a haunting entity. While watching, I kept thinking about how the story would make a great BtS game for children (actual children as players). The kids (heroes of the movie) are allowed to investigate, enlist the help of adults (which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't), and come up with different plans for defeating the monster (some of which work and some don't). The kids are never told, you can't do that -- except when walking on the lawn.

mrloucifer

Lord Z wrote:My girlfriend showed Monster House to me. I was surprised by how much I was able to appreciate it even before falling into the mentality of a child. The movie does have some pieces of good dialog, two good action sequences, and more than adequate animation. The monster (in BtS terms) is an entity; a curious cross between a tectonic entity and an soul fragment or maybe a haunting entity. While watching, I kept thinking about how the story would make a great BtS game for children (actual children as players). The kids (heroes of the movie) are allowed to investigate, enlist the help of adults (which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't), and come up with different plans for defeating the monster (some of which work and some don't). The kids are never told, you can't do that -- except when walking on the lawn.

I couldnt agree more Lord of Z, I Love Monster House! I saw it at the theatre twice and have enjoyed it am home several times since! :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

mrloucifer

This next one is not the typical book I would recomend to anyone to read for BTS purposes much let horror reading, but this book is one of the most amazing stories I have ever read. In short, its a telling of the story of Jesue Christ, specifically from the point of view of a vampiress who was created by Lucifer and sent to tempt the Christ.

Please read my review on flamesrising.com to read more about it, use the link below to get there:

http://www.flamesrising.com/this-is-my-blood-review/

The price of the ebook is an absolute steal at $6.99 and I cant encourage you all enough to read it for yourselves! You get buy the book on drive thru horror at the link below:

http://horror.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=3058&products_id=77922

Please let me know what you thought of the book after you've read it.
–H.P. Lovecraft

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Is it available anywhere in audio format yet?

mrloucifer

Lord Z wrote:Has anyone seen "A Haunting in Connecticut" yet? Linkology!

I watched this the other weekend Mr. Zeeology, and as a movie reviewer I would have to slay it to shreds.

However, what I will say here is that you HAVE to get over and ignore the notes where they say this film is based on a true story. I know the true story, Ive read a book and seen interviews (some of which are on the special features of the DVD in fact) and its NOTHING like this movie portrays.

So that being said, watch it as a pure horror film not based on anything and its actually not too shabby and VERY BTS inspiration worthy. But if you cant get past the angle where it claims that this is a true story, you'll never be able to enjoy it.
Last edited by mrloucifer on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
–H.P. Lovecraft

Tearstone
Adventurer

Unread post by Tearstone »

Ghost Hunters, Ghost Hunters International, Paranormal State, and Psychic Kids are all good shows. I recommend Paranormal State over GH, or GHI though. I just like them better.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

Lord Z wrote:I read some mediocre reviews of Paranormal Event. Reading these reminded me of how good the original Poltergeist movie really was.

Zee, did you mean Paranormal Activity? I finally got around to seeing Paranormal Activity. I was amazed how much it made and how popular it was. It was okay. But kudos to the filmmakers for making a movie on a shoestring budget and making it that successful.

I think it fits right in with BTS since it's a video journal. Imagine the team of player characters getting involved and finding the video journals. It's an instant gaming hook.
Tearstone
Adventurer

Unread post by Tearstone »

Ok, I finally got to watch Frailty last night. Very very good! Very BtS too.

I happened to remember some other movies and such that might be good BtS material, such as The Unborn and Drag You to Hell.

I saw The Unborn last year and it gave me the creeps over and over again for like 6 months.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Thanks for all of the reviews, folks.

mrloucifer

RhysG wrote:I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned "Stephen King's Rose Red", about a team of psychics (and a parapsychologist) investigating a haunted mansion. It aired on ABC, about 8 years ago, and can be found on DVD. Characters included: a 15-year-old autistic TK, a parapsycologist, a mind-reader, an object reader, a postcognitive, a guy who sees dead people, an automatic writer and a couple ordinaries. A little long (3.5 hours, I think), but not bad for TV.

I've never heard of it, but after doing some research, this is right up my alley. Hell, this IS my game as its got psychics and a parapsychologist who group is BASED in Seattle, Washington, which is where this show takes place. My group is gonna think I based the game on this show after I tell them about it. :P
–H.P. Lovecraft

Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Might I humbly offer up the short story, der Sandman? Written by E.T.A. Hoffmann in 1816, it is a surreal story that deals with the descent into insanity.

Read it while listening to Enter Sandman by Metallica.

Sleep tight.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
mrloucifer

mrloucifer wrote:
RhysG wrote:I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned "Stephen King's Rose Red", about a team of psychics (and a parapsychologist) investigating a haunted mansion. It aired on ABC, about 8 years ago, and can be found on DVD. Characters included: a 15-year-old autistic TK, a parapsycologist, a mind-reader, an object reader, a postcognitive, a guy who sees dead people, an automatic writer and a couple ordinaries. A little long (3.5 hours, I think), but not bad for TV.

I've never heard of it, but after doing some research, this is right up my alley. Hell, this IS my game as its got psychics and a parapsychologist who group is BASED in Seattle, Washington, which is where this show takes place. My group is gonna think I based the game on this show after I tell them about it. :P

I did watch this over the weekend, and yes its very BTS worthy and not too shabby at all for a Stephen King made for TV movie, complete with a cameo by Stephen K.
–H.P. Lovecraft

mrloucifer

Ive recently completed a trio of books that I would recommend for this topic, all of which were written by master of the visceral & gritty horror, Brian Keene

-Dark Hollow
-Ghost Trail
-Darkness on the Edge of town

They are all VERY BTS worthy reads. Read them in the order as they are written above as they are basically a "continuing mythos" series. Up next is "A Murder of Crows".

Warning: These are not books for the timid or naive. They are very blunt, hardcore books.
–H.P. Lovecraft

Gallahan
Adventurer

Unread post by Gallahan »

MOVIES: Tremors; Predators 1 & 2; The Thing; Jeepers Creepers; The Howling; and... several scenes from Drag Me to Hell
TV: Kolchak, The Nightstalker; The X-Files; Twin Peaks (only, with more supernatural added to it); Fringe; and... Let's Make a Deal with Howie Mandel (just kidding, but it *would* be BTS-ish if he were some kind of demon, and contestants were playing for souls instead of dollars).
BOOKS: "Haunted" by James Herbert; "From a Buick 8" by Stephen King; and any of the following novels by Dean Koontz: "Phantoms," "Midnight," "Strangers," "Lightning," "Watchers," "Winter Moon," "Mr. Murder," "Darkfall" and "Dragon Tears."
"Coincidence is a glimpse into a pattern otherwise hidden."
"We live in a world of secrets. Where those secrets intersect, people die."
mrloucifer

I just finished reading "Castaways" by Brian Keene. This book is several layers of just plain wrong! Imagine a cast of contestants on a deserted isand in a fashion similar to "Survivor" trying to be the last one on the island for a million clams. Only on this island, there are mishapen, devolving, cryptids who see the men as food, and the women as breeding stock. Let the primal chaos begin! Ideal for a victims setting.
–H.P. Lovecraft

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

But, did you like, Mista L?

I remember Tremors as having a very gamer-like style to it. It's only in retrospect that I realize how gamer mentality was in that show.

TiekoSora
Explorer
Comment: I've made my saving throw to disbelieve.

Unread post by TiekoSora »

For some good HLS ideas check out episodes of A Haunting On Discovery Channel. There was a show on Sci-Fi way back in the late '90s where they did an hour long show on multiple paranormal/unexplained/supernatural things. I remember one string of investigations they aired where the husband in the house was repeatedly attacked by an entity on camera. He had been sitting on the couch talking about the activity in the house when he yelled out. With the camera on him the entire time he stood up and lifted his shirt. You could see the scratch marks appear as welts, then start to ooze blood. Then he cried out in pain again, and new scratches appeared, and then again.

Another show you might look to is Ghost Adventures. Cheesey dialogue, far too much steroid-induced posturing, but oddly enough they have captured more evidence on video then GH or GHI combined. It's on Friday nights on Travel Channel.

Just to note, ask around your friends, I guarantee one or more belong to a paranormal investigation group in your area. I know two myself, one belongs to a group in Syracuse, and an old high school pal belongs to one in Austin. I used to know a guy where I live now who belonged to a now defunct group here that had been to Waverly Hills in Louisville many times. Showed me some interesting photos. When my daughter comes down for a visit this summer we are doing an all-night ghost tour there, it's just across town.
They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
Judas
Dungeon Crawler
Location: England when summoned otherwise Hell, where I burn well.

Unread post by Judas »

Two very good movies for BTS

Angel Heart (1987), very good film cannot post anything without spoiling it, but full of investigation

The Ninth Gate (1999) a good build up for a evil cult.
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
-- Matthew 7:15
"Every girl looks good in the dark."
--Faraday's Law# 99

"A myth can die, but a legend is forever"

mrloucifer

Lord Z wrote:But, did you like, Mista L?

I did, in that brutal, primal horror kinda way. :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

mrloucifer

For you X-box 360 fans, you've GOT to check out "Alan Wake"! Its easily one of the best psychological horror games I have ever played... in my life! I wont tell you more or ruin anything so you can experience it for yourselves. I will say hoever, that its best to be played in the dark as this is a dark game in general, and its good at getting under your skin.
–H.P. Lovecraft

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

I appreciate your recommendations, L. The going Amazon price, however, for a used copy of that game is 37 dollars US + S&H. I'll wait for price drop.

mrloucifer

Lord Z wrote:I appreciate your recommendations, L. The going Amazon price, however, for a used copy of that game is 37 dollars US + S&H. I'll wait for price drop.

I hear ya... I would've wait as well if I didnt want to get it and review it so bad. :)
Last edited by mrloucifer on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
–H.P. Lovecraft

mrloucifer

The latest book I reviewed is an ideal "Victims" or "Psychic" P.C.C. inspired adventure.

Read the intro of my review to get the idea:

Bigfoot War!
I’ve been put through the literary meat grinder recently with really great & really intense books like Darkness on the Edge of Town and On the Third Day. So I figured it was time to read something a little lighter of subject; something not quite so epic this time around. You know, something frightening… but fun! To that end, my reviewer’s copy of Bigfoot War couldn’t have come in the mail at a better time!

I’ve never read a Bigfoot horror story before; to be honest, most of my experience with Bigfoot comes from either watching Harry & the Henderson’s or watching the car crushing eponymous monster truck. I knew nothing about author Eric S. Brown either, but fortunately he spilled his own can of beans in the book’s introduction. Growing up in rural North Carolina, Eric apparently had Bigfoot as his mythical neighbor when you consider all of the sightings and stories about the big cuddly lug in his hood. No doubt this was the sort of fertile ground where Eric’s garden of terror would allow a story like Bigfoot Wars to sprout from!

Our story begins with young Jeff Taylor, who lived in the small rural town of Babble Creek. Notice that I used the word “lived” (as in past tense.) You see, according to Jeff, he witnessed his family being slaughtered by the legendary Sasquatch! Understandably, he fled the small town… but he left as a soon to be ”man on a mission”. Fast-forward fifteen years later; with two tours of duty in the Iraq War under his belt, Jeff has now returned to Babble Creek a very different person, and he has a score to settle with ol’ Bigfoot.

Jeff’s return to town understandably concerns the town proper immediately. Between his old friends, the Police department and other locals, an unfortunate series of events takes place which stirs up the proverbial hornets’ nest. It seem that “the one and only Bigfoot” isn’t quite so one & only. As fate would have it, a whole tribe of Sasquatch lives in the nearby woods… and they’re enraged & aiming to put their collective bigfeet in Babble Creek’s hinny!

Feel free to read the rest of the review by clicking the link below.
http://www.flamesrising.com/bigfoot-war-review/
–H.P. Lovecraft

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Thanks for the review, L. Bigfoot Wars seems like just the type of game I would run.

I've got two recommendations today. First is a graphic novel entitled Flagler's Few and the Strangler of Saint George Street. It's about a groupf of Flager College students (in my stomping group of Saint Augustine, Florida) who hunt a ghost. I haven't finished it yet, so a full review will come later.

Second is Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. I just finished the audio book, and I will be buying the paper version. I've been reading classics lately like A Christmas Carol and Candide (loved them both), but this non-fiction book about ultra-runners is simply the best written piece of literature I've encountered this year. A colorful cast of extreme athletes, fringe anthropolgists, drug dealers, and a lost tribe of Native Mexicans cross paths in the quasisport of ultra-running. The climax, as exciting as any sports movie, occurs when a dozen superathletes participate in a 100 mile race through the Copper Canyons, a region which rivals any other on earth for its sheer weirdness. People die. Other find strength that surprises themselves. Others find spiritual salvation by running naked.

What relevancy does it have to BtS? Not much! Beyond the use of the Copper Canyons as an interesting setting, there is very little useful here for a gamemaster. A player of a Natural Athlete or Physical Psychic could find value in getting inside the head of an extreme athlete. There is a scene during a Death Valley race which could be interpretted as the best example ever in literature of the power Summon Inner Strength.

mrloucifer

Lord Z wrote:What relevancy does it have to BtS? Not much! Beyond the use of the Copper Canyons as an interesting setting, there is very little useful here for a gamemaster. A player of a Natural Athlete or Physical Psychic could find value in getting inside the head of an extreme athlete. There is a scene during a Death Valley race which could be interpretted as the best example ever in literature of the power Summon Inner Strength.

You know, that still really good material to have and is very relevant. This is a very "touchy feely" game some days and requires more getting into the role of your PC more than any other line in Palladium's library (in my opinion anyway). Good examples of how to describe getting into said roles are ALWAYS welcome. So good find Mr. L to the O, to the R,D,Z!
–H.P. Lovecraft

mrloucifer

Ive just finished reading "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter".

Its an excellent read and plays out like a believable mockumentary of Abe's life. makes you wonder what other figures in world history could have had such a significant secret brush with the supernatural. :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

There is also "Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter" by A.E. Moorat. I have not read it so no idea if its good.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

I think that 'The Hitcher' starring Rutger Hauer could be considered a good BTS movie. Although there aren't any overt supernatural elements, there is also no explanation as to why the hitcher is on a murder spree. IMO, one could easily see his character as possessed by some murderous entity.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
mrloucifer

I went to see the film "The Last Exorcist" last night, its gt BTS material all over it. The last fifteen minutes will divide the audience in a "love it or hate it" kinda way, but its dripping with BTS theme and tone. Beyond the "shaky cam" moments and a questionable ending (at least I thought so), its a pretty swank film.
–H.P. Lovecraft

Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Anyone watching Haven on the SyFy channel? The show is set in a town in Maine of the same name. Haven has a history of strange occurrences called the "Troubles." A number of locals also have unusual abilities. So far its up to episode 8 and have been really enjoying it. Episodes can be watched on the SyFy website.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
mrloucifer

Shawn Merrow wrote:Anyone watching Haven on the SyFy channel?

Ive not, but I've heard good things about it. Well, besides what you've said. :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

mrloucifer

I started reading "The Screwtape Letters" for at least the 4th time yesterday, and I was reminded of how it can be a great source of insight into the demon mind when it comes to trying to tempt and manipulate humans. Its also a short read (albeit a little hard to read your first time through) and was written by C.S. Lewis, the genius who gave us the Narnia books.
–H.P. Lovecraft

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”