The Thing.

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Thing.

Unread post by Guest »

Anyone wanna run a suspenseful, scare your ass off campaign?

Watch The Thing, and run the movie.

Damn thing STILL scares the hell out of me...

Hell, it got me so bad when I was 5, I used to run and jump into bed.

I wouldn't watch the movie for years.

This is probably the third time I've seen it now.

Is there anything in BTS that could corrupt someone and take over their flesh entirely?

Be GREAT for a victim game.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

If you can get Nightbane, there's some stuff you could use. Also in Aliens Unlimited. I'm sure there are in BtS, although I can't remember any off the top of my head, and in any event there might be in the latest edition that weren't there before.

The Thing, and the original Alien are two of my faves for horror/sci fi combos.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

I agree the Thing is still as scary as it was when I first rented long ago. One of the few movie monster aliens that is pretty much unstoppable and nearly hard to find. Some of the effects are still pretty good after all these years.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

One of the best horror films of all time.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

If the movie was done better, I thought the movie The Stuff could have been pretty scary.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Angryjack wrote:I was Not scared at all by the thing
the movie was laughibly stupid
I was more scared by Langoliers.
that one scared me more then the thing.
I felt no empathy for the morons nn the thing, they all acted the same vs it, Like Victims

Where as Langoliers had entites that pretty much was gonna be eating you No matter what you did

Uh, what could they have done differenlty in The Thing...?

(And while I did like Langoliers, you have to admit that the special effects in The Thing were a mite bit better...)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Could people be talking about different versions? I once told my husband that The Thing was one of the scariest movies I had ever seen as a teenager. He laughed, said it was silly. Then my mom sent us a copy of the version I had watched (by John Carpenter), it turned out my husband had never seen that particular one. And after watching it, he agreed that it was a very horrifying movie.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Natalya wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Could people be talking about different versions? I once told my husband that The Thing was one of the scariest movies I had ever seen as a teenager. He laughed, said it was silly. Then my mom sent us a copy of the version I had watched (by John Carpenter), it turned out my husband had never seen that particular one. And after watching it, he agreed that it was a very horrifying movie.

Yeah, there was an earlier movie called The Thing (From Another World). In it, the alien was a humanoid monster that was plant based. I think. Anyway, in amongst the special features of John Carpneters The Thing special edition, he mentions that he saw the origonal when he was a kid, and it had an effect of his decison in becoming a director/producer.

Here's a link I dug up, comparing both movies, here.

There was also a computer game called The Thing. It's basically a sequal, and John Carpenter had a huge involvement in the making of the game. Worth a look.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

I think that John Carpenter's THE THING was very, very cool. I'm not so sure really how scary it was, but it was cool lookings. There was one neet part that was creepy (even if a bit fantastical for that film), remember the part where (Wilford Brimly I think) was looking at his computer screen, calculating how long it would take to infect the earth... yeah, I thought that was pretty freaky.

Did anybody play THE THING for the PS2? The video game was supposed to be a direct sequel to the film. Just wonderin'.

...................................Omote
FPQ
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
Redemption

Unread post by Redemption »

I played the game on PS2 and was not expecting much going in but was pleasently surprised as it unfolded at a good pace and the game play was not horribly awful. It is a direct sequel to the movie and does give some true jumps during its storyline. I wouldn't say its a must buy, but if you are a fan of the movie and a fan of PS2 then I would check it out. I would go as far to say its better then a mere rental, go and buy it preplayed
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Angryjack wrote:I've seen both versions, I'm just not scared by evil clowns and giant spider things, not when people act with catatonic fear to a puppet.

Uh, now it sounds like you're talking about IT...

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Angryjack wrote:ya know, you might be right.
i still dislike Steven king..
the mad rambler.

Good thing King had nothing to do with The Thing.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”