Lovecraft influenced?

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darrick

Lovecraft influenced?

Unread post by darrick »

how many people use Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos in their Beyond the Supernatural campagins?

if anyone is interested in old eldtitch master, then check out my midwest convention link: http://www.darkmusicdomain.com/cthulhu.html

thanks, Darrick Dishaw
High Priest Cult of Cthulhu
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Laire of the White Worm. That's basically it though.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

pblackcrow wrote:Laire of the White Worm. That's basically it though.

Good movie, but not Lovecraftian.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

In a sort of con where I was running a game, I had Beyond the Supernatural investigators dealing with Lovecraftian sorts of cults and creatures. It was a one day event, with 3 GMs (the fourth didn't make it) each running a different game at the same time. Many of the plot elements were the same: disappearing people, cultists abducting people to some far off location, summoning evil beings, the characters finding a certain item that would help them, etc. One was running a fantasy game, another Gamma World, and I was running Beyond the Supernatural. Basically, for the first half (pre-dinner break), the characters were supposed to get the object they needed and use it to activate the widget that teleports them to the next bit. (Mine was a gate, I'm not sure what the others looked like.) When we came back, several of the characters were switched. (ie. some of my people went to Gamma World or the fantasy world, and I got people from the other games.) Hilarity insues.

Woefully, no one read the journals.
pblackcrow
Champion

Good movie, but not Lovecraftian

It is in a way, but it isn't. It was inspired by Lovecraft, but your right.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
count zero
Explorer
Comment: I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Unread post by count zero »

pblackcrow wrote:
Good movie, but not Lovecraftian

It is in a way, but it isn't. It was inspired by Lovecraft, but your right.

Not to pick nits or anything, but "Lair of the White Worm" was based on a story by Bram Stoker, who was around a few years before Lovecraft made it onto the scene. . .

pax
Ø
pblackcrow
Champion

Oh...I didn't know that it was one of Stoker's. Thank you. *Writes note to friend, who told me it was inspired by Lovecraft.*
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

I wouldn't say that I have designs on bringing Cthulhu and Nyarlathotep into BTS2 (already have Call of Cthulhu), but Lovecraft's general concepts and ideas would certainly play a part in any BTS2 game that I might run.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”