A small explanation

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SkyeFyre
Hero

A small explanation

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Hi, I've been up until this point strictly a RIFTS player, but I find myself loving SDC, and just overall loving the palladium system. So I'm planning on getting at least the core books for Chaos Earth, Splicers, Palladium Fantasy, Systems Failiure... I pretty much want to grab all the games.

I'm a little unsure though about Beyond the Supernatural, After the bomb, N&SS, Recon, and Heroes Unlimited, but we'll ignore HU here cause I have an idea of what that's like and I might just pick that up for the sake of having it, or some rules that aren't listed anywhere else.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a small breakdown of what BtS is like, like what kind of gameplay? I seem to see a lot suggesting that it's more of a smart played game and less hardcore action around every turn. What kind of story? Anything really cool of note? Anything you can tell me about BtS. Pretty much... I want you to sell it to me ^_^. That'd be really cool.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Pretty much so, yes. I like it because it is #1 "modern day" though a bit out of date. It was writen in the 80s. Now adays, psychics can get jobs helping cops, win the lottery, as telephone psychics, host internet tv shows, healers are growing in demand. Thus is true in the game.

There are some people who dismisses such things as nonsince. Others believe it to be evil and sinful deed, others still except it and go on. It is like this in real life...Only monsters, demons, faeries, ghost, etc are all real, the paranormal powers are real, heck in my game aliens are real as well.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

cool thanks. That's just what I needed. Sounds like it'd quickly become one of my favs. I've been planning on running a RIFTS game like that, but it's a little hard when everyone's toting a rail gun, and brimming with magic, and MDC armor

/me adds Beyond The Supernatural to his list of books to pick up
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

as for game play, you can run it many ways.

as a "Victim game", where everyone is a normal person with no knowledge of the supernatural. think "amityville horror"

as a X-file's-ish "normal people investigating the supernatural" game

as a MIB-ish "secret group keeping the supernatural secret" game

as a Ghostbusters "paranormal investigations and eliminations" game

or a combination of any, or all, of the above.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
pblackcrow
Champion

You forgot vampire/werewolf hunters games.
Also to play out the players fantasy...it is nice to escape from reality for a bit and do a drama game. They are usually solos, but I like to play and GM them.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

My favorite was attempting to convince the conventional of the unconventional. I.E. "Quick, shoot that guy with these silver bullets, officer." etc.... Or convincing a cop that the guy you just killed was a werewolf.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Personally, BTS is my favorite of the Palladium games.

I started playing it around the time of Xfiles, so most games were on the Xfiles level.

Lately, A "victom" game, as glitterboy points out, could be really fun. Of all the palladium games, this is the one that would make a "zombie shoot" the most fun.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
pblackcrow
Champion

True, though, I truly think that the drama type games helps me to brainstorm, invent stuff, and plan things out in advance.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

Quoth pblackcrow, "Now adays, psychics can get jobs helping cops..."

Couldn't they do that in the 80's and before? I know that police have gotten "help" (wanted or unwanted) from psychics for many recorded decades. Don't forget, "spiritualism" was a big thing in those Victorian England times we read about in Holmes novels, and it had really taken off here as early as the begining of he century. (Yes, I've read lots of source stuff for Call of Cthulhu. I've also had friends into such things since before the 80's.) Not that I disagree that such things are on the up-swing, mind you.

One thing about BtS is that the characters are almost always human. Sure you can have Nightbane or some other critters from other systems and it works fine, but the way it's written all the supernatural things you encounter are too far removed from things to have players be one. Even werewolves and vampires are just out there enough that it wouldn't happen. To me, this adds to the strange sort of creep factor to things about the world. And how many other systems bother writing up the Bermuda Trianle any more?
pblackcrow
Champion

Sanctu wrote:Quoth pblackcrow, "Now adays, psychics can get jobs helping cops..."

Couldn't they do that in the 80's and before? I know that police have gotten "help" (wanted or unwanted) from psychics for many recorded decades. Don't forget, "spiritualism" was a big thing in those Victorian England times we read about in Holmes novels, and it had really taken off here as early as the begining of he century. (Yes, I've read lots of source stuff for Call of Cthulhu. I've also had friends into such things since before the 80's.) Not that I disagree that such things are on the up-swing, mind you.

While they did help out some before the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s they are far more excepted and accredited now adays.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

X-mas needs to end so I can spend money on me instead of other people. I want this book. It sounds like I would really enjoy it.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

I will get it but probably not until mid-january. I have to buy presents for 15 people. Even if I only spend 20 bucks on them thats still $240. I make about $100 on each check and I haven't started buying gifts yet. So its gonna be a while before I can myself some stuff.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”