Rules for Using Cameras

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Errr... Princess... I just don't see the real point of it all

So what if you explained the role of pictures in the economy of your campaign and why there should be a form of combat between the photograph and the creature he wants to picture?
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
cjh_cleveland

Unread post by cjh_cleveland »

[quote="TiaraPrincess"]It's not about the economy, though I suppose it could be if you wanted to run things that way. If you want me to reference Palladium canon to explain the concept, check out the Lazlo flavor-text from BtS. The fact that the supernatural is hidden and the world does not recognize it is a pretty big deal. I'm currently running a game where gathering information, taking photos, and surviving is more important than slaying monsters, although that does occur, too. If taking a photo is always a simple skill roll, it doesn't flow well with other combat actions. Also, fleshing out rules for cameras gives creatures an opportunity to dodge, some doing it better than others. It may not seem interesting to many people, and if one is playing an overpowered god-knows-what from a Rifts supplement, it may seem dull to actually be scared by something. I imagine we have different approaches to gaming, but I enjoy having a horror game reflect reality in some way. Look at the X-Files: the evidence of the supernatural is far more important and dramatic than fighting things.[/quote]

But, what is the point of writing up all of this? In the examples that you cite, information gathering is important...but it never goes out to the general public.

[quote="TiaraPrincess"]Also, I don't really see the point in supplement after supplement of Rifts setting material and new character classes that phase others into redundancy. So, obviously, we have a conflict of opinion regarding what is and is not fun.[/quote]

I agree with what you are saying as well, the thing is that I would apply the same criteria to supplements for any of the Palladium settings. What is the point in general of a supplement that does not advance the setting and/or the ruleset any? It sounds to me that what you are looking for and/or suggesting are issues that are dealt with more in the story of your campaign than in extraneous rules.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”