Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

So what is beyond the supernatural like? based on what i just read about someone displaying telekinesis in public and there being a problem with it Im guessing its modern day with powers or magic or something hidden in an underworld society? Or am i just way off base here? just tell me wut this game is about. I have no idea im a rifts player
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

The original Beyond the Supernatural was fairly open-ended in its approaches to supernatural horror and dark fantasy. One could easily play from a Lovecraftean perspective, a Doctor Who one ("Eldrad MUST live..."), a Joss Whedon/Buffy/Angel one, or even a "Supernatural Humor" Ghostbusters-like standpoint. The current BTS game I am playing in takes this last approach.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Excerpted from Rifter #26:

Kevin Siembieda wrote: The two central concepts behind Beyond the Supernatural were and still are, 1) magic and the supernatural are real, and, 2) few people accept the truth. This latter part was the most important aspect best presented by the fictional character of Doctor Victor Lazlo; that the supernatural -- ghosts, vampires, werewolves, demons, and all manner of horrors -- is real, and that these creatures have co-existed with humankind since the dawn of man. The problem is modern humans have decided that they are not real. Blinded by arrogance, and perhaps fear, and armed with science, such supernatural reality has been pushed away as superstition and wild imaginings, relegating those who suggest they are real to the realm of lunatics and charlatans. Anyone who dares to claim "mythical" magic and monsters are real gets chastised, laughed at, and dismissed as misguided souls at best, liars, crackpots, and con artists at worst.

That pervasive and pernicious denial of the truth has created a shadowy underground world where magic, monsters, and the supernatural flourish. A co-existing reality where the holders of arcane knowledge and beings as far removed from humanity as one can imagine roam freely without the restraints of society, morality, the law or retribution. A world inhabited by predators and prey, the hunters and the hunted, the wise and the helpless, master and victim. This is our modern world beyond the light of day, beyond our precious view of reality.

Copyright © 2004 Kevin Siembieda.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

sounds cool maybe ill pick up the first book next time i got some money
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Unless KS had changed the Bos second edition world significantly it is also the 20th century version of Pre-Rifts Earth.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

memorax wrote:Unless KS had changed the Bos second edition world significantly it is also the 20th century version of Pre-Rifts Earth.

In Rifter #2 Kevin said Beyond the Supernatural was not the past of Rifts Earth.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

k but could a gm play like it was if he/she so wished?
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Of course. Anything and everything in the game is subject to the GM.

Heroes Unlimited (origin of the KLS and Cyberworks corporations who made the Glitter Boys and Archie-3) is also a strong candidate for the past of Rifts, but officially all the different Palladium game settings are just parallel dimensions (except for Chaos Earth, which is part of the Rifts timeline).

Just go with what's fun. :ok:
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
pblackcrow
Champion

Re: Newbie

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Larsen wrote:So what is beyond the supernatural like? based on what i just read about someone displaying telekinesis in public and there being a problem with it Im guessing its modern day with powers or magic or something hidden in an underworld society? Or am i just way off base here? just tell me wut this game is about. I have no idea im a rifts player

Yes, it's modern day, with mostly underworld societies. Other then the Psy Healers and Sensetives. Which have grown in popularity over the years.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:Of course. Anything and everything in the game is subject to the GM.

Heroes Unlimited (origin of the KLS and Cyberworks corporations who made the Glitter Boys and Archie-3) is also a strong candidate for the past of Rifts, but officially all the different Palladium game settings are just parallel dimensions (except for Chaos Earth, which is part of the Rifts timeline).

Just go with what's fun. :ok:

While I agree it's fun I wish they would be a little more consistent with their backgrounds. All these constant changes to the backgrounds can get a little annoying.
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

So if I asked a store to order a copy of bts they wouldn't be able to get one until the new one came out right? I ask because I'm guessing bts 1st edition is out of print by the lack of order availablity on the main index.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
pblackcrow
Champion

There are other places to get a copy of first edition... www.half.com for example.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

True! I have used things from GURPS in BtS before
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

I'm of two minds when it comes to metaplot, which is what you're talking about Tiara. On the one hand, it can provide innumerable plot hooks. On the other, it can really hamstring you if you want your characters to be the ones having all of the earthshattering adventures that change the fate of the world.

Metaplot has been a major element of most of the game lines that have come out in the past decade and existed to some extent since the hobby was established in 1974. Thankfully, with the advent of games like All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Terra Primate, and the latest versions of D&D, we seem to be swinging back in the direction of games where the GM and his players pretty much direct the flow of major events.
welvrin

Unread post by welvrin »

TRUE BTS IS A PARREL UNIVERSE BUT IF YOU THE GM WANT IT CAN PART OF THE TIMELINE.

IT DOES NOT MATTER ABOUT WHETHER IT IS OR IS NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IS HAVING FUN WITH IT.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”