Utilizing BtS 1e magic with BtS 2e?

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jdrakeh
D-Bee

Utilizing BtS 1e magic with BtS 2e?

Unread post by jdrakeh »

It's been a long while since I delved into BtS of any edition, but I recall using the Arcanist and rules for magic/spells from BtS 1e with BtS 2e back in the day. I don't recall using any specific conversion, just kind of plopping them in there as-written. But, as I said, it has been a long time ago. Any potential pitfalls that I should look out for?
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Re: Utilizing BtS 1e magic with BtS 2e?

Unread post by thorr-kan »

I don't see why there would be. About the only thing you'd need to consider is that PPE is supposed to be limited like IPS in 2E. Mages will get multipliers based on events around them, like psychics do.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Both BTS 1 & 2 are in SDC settings. So no spell conversions are needed.

Until the Arcanum book(s) come out the only magic user in the BTS game is the one in 1st ed.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I believe there is some ideas on House of BTS so check there. To me the biggest thing you need to do is adjust available PPE to the 2e system. As for spells, I might be more inclined to look at PFRPG 2e for more up to date spells but I don't know if there are that many differences between them.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
jdrakeh
D-Bee

Unread post by jdrakeh »

Thanks for the advice. I ended up picking up a copy of Nightbane, as well. Looks like that may also be a useful source for BtS 2e.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

I've been working on a Magic User Template for BTS-2 in the House of BTS Discord page that may offer some insights as well. I'll get an updated PDF soon to add to the House website as well.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”