Regional TV as a contact/source

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thorr-kan
Adventurer

Regional TV as a contact/source

Unread post by thorr-kan »

I was looking an the Wikipedia entry for a TV station from my sordid youth (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLUC-TV#News_operation), and the following bit caught my eye: "In addition to its main studios, the station operates bureaus in.."

Bureaus. Plural. For a rural, remote, regional TV station. In Michigan's Upper Pennisula.

A quick check of the station's website shows 3 of the bureaus are one-person outfits. But that's one person who could be covering the PCs' stomping grounds. That's a source/confidant/opponent who could end up with their names and faces spread across the 6 o'clock news. And while national news broadcast ratings are falling, *local* news broadcasts are not falling nearly as fast.

Something for your players to think about, the next time that "investigation" turns into a shootout and arson.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Re: Regional TV as a contact/source

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Interesting.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
thorr-kan
Adventurer

mrloucifer wrote:Interesting.

That's why I shared it.

Further investigation shows one bureau is currently not filled and that the title of the other bureaus it "Bureau Reporter" described as "the Multimedia Journalist." So it's not just some hack with a cell phone. That indicates some actual journalist and multimedia skills.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

thorr-kan wrote:

Further investigation shows one bureau is currently not filled and that the title of the other bureaus it "Bureau Reporter" described as "the Multimedia Journalist." So it's not just some hack with a cell phone. That indicates some actual journalist and multimedia skills.

Might be an actual journalist, or could be an intern taking the first experience gig he/she could get. That might make for a good character angle, as opposed to an NPC or contact.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
thorr-kan
Adventurer

mrloucifer wrote:
thorr-kan wrote:

Might be an actual journalist, or could be an intern taking the first experience gig he/she could get. That might make for a good character angle, as opposed to an NPC or contact.

More likely to be a journalist, as the Job Openings part of the website had historical listings for some of the positions. *I* certainly wouldn't trust an intern in a location by themselves with no supervision for scores of miles.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”