BtS in the 1920s

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

BtS in the 1920s

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

So I'm cooking up an idea right now that revolves around an ancient artifact from a lost civilization triggering the Dark Day events from Nightbane that I might run as soon as my current BtS arc finishes up. I'm thinking that with some of the themes of the game that I'm wanting to emphasize that I might want to set the game in the 1920's. Does anyone have any experience with running a game in this time period? If not, what would you all do with this time period. I've got some ideas, but I would like to see what the rest of the forums can come up with.

If anyone is interested I'll post some of my ideas in the morning when I get a chance.

Thanks in advance,
Captain Nibbz
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: BtS in the 1920s

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

Rifter 79 has an excellent article by Hendrik about setting BTS in different time periods. I have not run any adventures in the 1920s, but I have during WW1. One of the main things is to remove technology that doesn't exist yet and likewise with skills. You also need to keep in mind that just because a skill or technology exists, that doesn't mean it is widespread. For example radio technology was in it's infancy, so finding someone who can scramble radio messages will be rare indeed. You also need to keep in mind the mindset of the public at the time. Most people were optimistic about the future and still reeling from the horrors of war the decade before. Also, this is the prohibition era in the US, so speakeasies and gangsters were common. You also have the generation gap between the young flappers and the older generation with Victorian attitudes in the Jazz Age.

Have fun with it. I think playing in this era will be a blast. Let us know how it goes.
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

I'll for sure have to check out that article. Sounds like it could be a great resource for this.

My intention is to really play up a lot of the themes, such as the mobsters, prohibition, the first Red Scare, the Science vs Religion debates, etc. It was turbulent and exciting time to be alive with a lot of social unrest in a lot of ways that I think I could really play up.

My current idea is to mash elements from Dead Reign, Nightbane, and BtS into one setting that takes place during the aforementioned time period. I'm finding a lot of good inspirational source material, and I'm also finding a lot of good equipment lists from other games like Call of Cthulhu that already have counterparts in Palladium. For instance, there is a whole primer on playing in the 1920's with that system, and I've been comparing the list of firearms with those found in the Compendium of Contemporary Weapons.

In your experience, is it better to replace the skills that aren't appropriate for the time period (such as Computer Operations or Programing) with something that is a little more time period appropriate? For instance with those two, maybe put in something like Telegraph Operations or something?

Either way, I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes :D (once I finish my current campaign log that is)
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

As far as skills go, it mostly depends on the character. If a player has a character in mind that fits the time period (like the 20s equivalent to a hacker), then replace skills as needed. But, for the most part, I feel there are enough skills to drop one or two and not affect things too much. Another option is to give the player extra elective skills for ones dropped due to the time period. For example I dropped computer operation as an available skill, so a character class that comes with that skill gets an elective skill instead.
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”