Q&A, Ghost Hunter weapons and damage

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RainbowDevil
Explorer

Q&A, Ghost Hunter weapons and damage

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Hi folks,

I have a question about ghost hunters and their weapons. The ecto-slayer shotgun does only 1D6 damage to mortals, however it inflicts "1D6 + 1 damage per level of the psychic" to supernatural critters.

The demon sword does "3D6 damage + 2 points per level of experience".

Can someone please tell me how much damage they do at, for example, level 5?

As I read it, the position of the word "damage" is what separates the "base damage" from the "per level" damage. A level 5 ghost hunter, therefore, would do 5D6 + 5 damage with the shotgun, and 3D6 + 10 damage with the demon sword. ie in the sword example, it's only the "+2" part that increases per level, whereas with the shotgun the whole amount increases per level.

Is this the case? It seems to be the most balanced to me, but just wanting clarification. Otherwise the shotgun seems absolutely useless to me.

Regards,
RD
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Re: Q&A, Ghost Hunter weapons and damage

Unread post by mrloucifer »

I've talked to Kevin about clarifying this, and realizes that this was written a little off. This is his answer:
"The simple answer would be to say that both the number of D6’s and the “plus” damage increase. So at level two the shotgun would do 2D6+2, then 3D6+3 at level three, 4D6+4 at level four and so on. So in time this shotgun becomes a pretty badass weapon, especially against Ancient Evil, Alien Intelligences, and creatures vulnerable to fire as it does double damage to them! And yes, 150 feet would be an appropriate range for them."

The Sword stays at 3D6, the +2 bonus is what gets added every level. Level 2:+4. Level 3: +6 Level 4: +8.

Make sense?
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
RainbowDevil
Explorer

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Thanks a lot for that! :)
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Loucifer for getting an exact quote, did you get an e-mail reply about this at some point?

I do like the mega-shotgun.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Oh ho ho! That shot gun is spiffy! I have a non psychic ghost hunting pc. I want one of those for him. I wonder how the damage would progress in his case though?
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

RainbowDevil wrote:Hi folks,

I have a question about ghost hunters and their weapons. The ecto-slayer shotgun does only 1D6 damage to mortals, however it inflicts "1D6 + 1 damage per level of the psychic" to supernatural critters.

The demon sword does "3D6 damage + 2 points per level of experience".

Can someone please tell me how much damage they do at, for example, level 5?

…SN base damage @ L5..
Devil Sword 3d6+10 SD
E-S shotgun: 5d6+5 SD

In the DS there is a space between the 3d6 and the +2 per level which seperates the two stats of the weapon making only the +2 part that levels up.

In the ESS the damage is all one unit, which ties both the variable and the static parts of the damage together and thus are both leveled up to the users level.

I don't know if they intended it this way or not but that is how the math of the text looks to me.

----------------------------
I might, as a GM, have these two weapons to 'have to bond with the user' for them to increace their damage rating along with the user's leveling. So if the Ghost Hunter looses a DS or ESS and get a replacement, they would have to use that weapon for quite a while to be psychicly comfortable with it. (<off the cuff mechanic> bonding to the new weapon consumes the next 1350 exp the char gains. This exp. is not added to the the exp. total for leveling…it is consumed by the process of bonding with the new weapon starting when the new weapon is gained.)
As such it gives a Ghost Hunter a very good reason to be cleaning up their toys after playtime.

------------------------------
Converting to MDC worlds thoughts.
Spoiler:
As to converting the ESS text to a MDC setting, I would say that the weapon would do 1d6 SD to SDC mortals and 1d6 MD to MDC mortals. With the damage to the SN the same but with the SN damage ratings. With the understanding that it is a magic weapon that can only be used by Ghost Hunters.

Converting the DS text to a MDC setting is even easier, cause the sword would only do it's SD rating to mortals and only do MD to the SN. It would be a pain for the Player cause the sword would bounce off any physical MDC armor. Don't know if it would be able to parry MD weapons. However, I might rule that it is's SDC is transformed into MDC and only takes damage when attacked directly.
And again, usable by Ghost hunters only.

As a GM, if someone would want to enchant a ESS or DS in another setting, I would set the Psychic/magic user/PPE user cost at 10 PPE per shot or use.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Axelmania wrote:Loucifer for getting an exact quote, did you get an e-mail reply about this at some point?

I do like the mega-shotgun.

I talked with him over the phone about it at some point and wrote it all down lest I forget.
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
mrloucifer

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Oh ho ho! That shot gun is spiffy! I have a non psychic ghost hunting pc. I want one of those for him. I wonder how the damage would progress in his case though?

As my understanding of the rules, as a non-psychic he wouldn't have such a gun unfortunately. He'll have to rely on normal guns to do the job.
–H.P. Lovecraft

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”