Looking For Paranormal Sensory Equipment

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Looking For Paranormal Sensory Equipment

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I am trying to write up special bionics and robotic sensors to be able to see the invisible, astral beings and life essences, as well as ley line detectors and PPE readers for my Heroes Unlimited game and I naturally thought of Beyond The Supernatural as a possible book where I could find cameras to base such things on, but looking through the book have not found anything of the sort. Is there a listing of specialized equipment and I'm just not seeing it or did they not make such things available for BTS?
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Re: Looking For Paranormal Sensory Equipment

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

I think all the devices in the game you have to build using the Psi-Mechanic stuff, but I'm not sure. You might want to just look at the psionic abilities and use them as a base to create the stuff you want.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

That's kind of what I figured, just wanted to know if there was actual equipment listed I can use as a model to base stuff off of.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

BTS doesn't really have dedicated sensors. since it's set up along the lines of real world ghost investigations, the mundane sensors tend to be things like Electromagnetic Field Sensors, temperature gauges, IR cameras, vibration and motion detectors, analog audio recording devices for EVP, etc. looking for odd EMF strengths, hot/cold spots, vibration and motion with no apparent cause, odd lights or images showing up on the camera, etc. not really detecting entities and the supernatural directly.

in BTS, if you want a "PKE meter" your either going to need a GM willing to invent a fictional sensor, or get a Psi-mechanic to build a device to channel a sensor PSI-power.

that said, in HU you could have a ghostbuster's type "new field of physics" approach easy enough using superhero-tech. one thing you might want ot look into is the SNARLS system in Rifts:Japan. it's a gun mounted scope that can detect PPE and the supernatural.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I am looking to create stuff myself, basically trying to see if I can come up with optics and sensors, as well as power sources and programming, to allow androids and other robots to cast spells. I had thought maybe the BTS book might have stuff I could base the sensors and such off of. I might just have to write up stuff modeled after Psi-powers.
Alas, I do not have access to the Rifts: Japan book. A friend of mine might still possess his, but I doubt it.

Update: Sent my friend a message on Facebook about it. Not sure he still has it, though, since it was many years ago that I played Rifts with him.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

I've created some toys that may be of use to you over at the House of BTS, look in the special equipment folder.

I also think RIFTS: Madhaven has some paranormal-like of tools as well.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Thanks, mrloucifer, I shall do that. I also posted a question on the SNARLS system in the Rifts part of the forum to see if I can get any details of the system there.

Update: I went to your site and clicked on the image of the page, but it seemed to be a dead link. Any way you could send me the details of the equipment via PM?
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

DOH! Somehow I sent the PDF's to the wrong file. It's been corrected, you should be able to get them off the site now.
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Still getting the following error message when I click on the link:
Not Found

The requested URL /~sedawes/houseofbts/equiptment/ghost_hunt_items.pdf was not found on this server.
mrloucifer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Still getting the following error message when I click on the link:
Not Found

The requested URL /~sedawes/houseofbts/equiptment/ghost_hunt_items.pdf was not found on this server.

Hmm, try refreshing the page (or hit F5) and then click on it again, it should be working fine now. If not, use this link to go to it :

The school keeps changing the directions on the database on me, and I have to occasional check things. Somewhere along the lines I forgot to look at these. But all is well again for now. I'll have to deal until I'm out of school and employed again to buy my own domain and space. :P
–H.P. Lovecraft

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Finally looked at it, but that kind of stuff is more mundane than what I am after. I'm looking for more high-tech items.
mrloucifer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Finally looked at it, but that kind of stuff is more mundane than what I am after. I'm looking for more high-tech items.

The forensic tools in the same section may have more of the high tech your looking for, if not inspire your work maybe?. Are you thinking more "ghostbusters" kind of equipment?

If I wasn't planning on using the other times I've made in the sourcebook, I'd share them on the site.
–H.P. Lovecraft

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

mrloucifer wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Finally looked at it, but that kind of stuff is more mundane than what I am after. I'm looking for more high-tech items.

The forensic tools in the same section may have more of the high tech your looking for, if not inspire your work maybe?. Are you thinking more "ghostbusters" kind of equipment?

If I wasn't planning on using the other times I've made in the sourcebook, I'd share them on the site.
Specifically, I am looking for equipment which I can base robotic scanners and optics to detect PPE sources with. So, yeah, more "ghostbusters"-like.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”